14mth Self-weaning?

Old March 18th 04, 12:00 PM
Jacqui C

Default 14mth Self-weaning?

Hi everyone,

I firstly want to thank everyone on this group for all of the great advice
that is always available at times of need. I have gained so much info off
this group by lurking!

I now have a problem though, and wondered if anyone had some advice? A very
similar problem to Cathy's who has recently posted.

My DS is 14mths old, and over the last 3 days has just suddenly refused to
nurse. We are down to 2 feeds a day, 1 morning and 1 bedtime. It's been
like this for quite a while. About a week ago we had a few dodgy feeding
sessions, where he bit me a couple of times. I took him off saying no (I
was a bit stressed at other things at the time, so I shouted a bit more than
I should have.....), he screamed at me, then latched back on again. Since
then he has nursed fine, until Tuesday evening. He just didn't want it.
There is nothing wrong with him - he's just not interested. No tears, no
fussing, but mouth closed and no way is he latching on.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Part of me says it's too early to
wean, and the other part of me says he's had 14 mths of the good stuff - now
is as good a time as any. I think overall I want him to continue feeding,
so any ideas on getting him interested again?

TIA,

Jacqui

Old March 18th 04, 11:26 PM
Cathy

Jacqui C wrote:
[...]

Hi Jacqui, Boy do I know how you feel! We were down to 3 feeds, but the
middle of the day one was dodgy sometimes - a token suck was what I called
it. One thing I am going to do tonight is to try nursing in the bath. I
did it when DD was very young, and I needed her to unplug ducts, but we
haven't done it since. I just want to try and take her mind off what she is
actually doing. I got a small reaction last night - she had her favourite
fluffy toy, and I got as close as her mouthing the nipple, but that was it.
And my usually no-fail method of getting her to keep still long enough to
nurse, where she 'reads' a book, is not working either.

Good luck with things, and please let me know what happens.

Cathy

Old March 19th 04, 01:31 PM
Cheryl S.

"Jacqui C" wrote in message
I'm not sure how to feel about this. Part of me says it's
too early to wean, and the other part of me says he's had
14 mths of the good stuff - now is as good a time as any.
I think overall I want him to continue feeding, so any
ideas on getting him interested again?

Why do you want him to continue? (I'm asking seriously, not trying to
say you shouldn't.)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 6 months

Old March 19th 04, 07:07 PM
sher

"Jacqui C" wrote in message ...
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Part of me says it's too early to
wean, and the other part of me says he's had 14 mths of the good stuff - now
is as good a time as any. I think overall I want him to continue feeding,
so any ideas on getting him interested again?

TIA,

Jacqui

In my experience, once they make up their minds at this age, it's hard
to change it. DS#1 quit cold turkey on me the day after his 1st
birthday. I tried for a week to get him to nurse again, but he
clearly sent the message that he was done. I know how hard it is
emotionally. Good luck.

~ Sher
Old March 20th 04, 11:52 PM
Jacqui C

Thanks for everyone's info (to Cathy's post as well).

I think I'm just going to go with him doing a sudden self-weaning. Oh
well......

Jacqui

"sher" wrote in message
om...

Hi everyone,

Tandem Weaning eggs Breastfeeding 8 March 12th 04 04:59 AM
Still producing milk after weaning Shelley Breastfeeding 6 February 16th 04 05:47 AM
milk supply, night weaning, pumping, and menstruation questions Cathy Weeks Breastfeeding 9 October 28th 03 09:12 PM
Article on weaning Shannon Breastfeeding 1 August 20th 03 10:36 PM
Help...weaning is soooooooooo confusing! Clisby Williams Breastfeeding 3 July 28th 03 07:15 AM