What if the ultrasound tech was wrong??!

Old August 4th 03, 04:38 AM
Nina

Default What if the ultrasound tech was wrong??!

As I was painting even more stuff for the baby and admiring my handiwork,
the sudden fear that the baby is NOT what they said it was, gripped me. God,
I can't even imagine the poor baby going about for the next year or so in
the wrong colored clothes, and living in a room decorated expressly for a
child of the opposite sex.And I am SO not going to make another baby quilt,
so I hope the thing was correct.
I guess I've done allthe preparation I need to do, so nothing left to do but
worry for the next 12 weeks or so!

--
A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning
unnecessary.

Old August 4th 03, 06:37 AM
~*~ Jess ~*~

I had that fear when I was pregnant with DD - with DS I didn't even stop to
think about it. I had so wanted a girl and the u/s had said I was finally
getting one. Of course I had that fear that she was going to be a he. I was
asked more than once while I was in labor what I was going to do if she
ended up being a boy - I said "he's not going to have a name for awhile, and
he's going to wear pink." Belle was born a few hours later ;-)

It's normal, I don't think the fear goes away, but it's totally normal.

--
Jess
Mommy of:

Old August 4th 03, 06:51 AM
Alicia Elliott

Oh Nina, I sincerely hope they are right. I know that there are always
chances for them to be wrong, but try not to think about it. The good thing
is that a little one won't know or care what colours it is wearing, or that
the room is designed for the opposite sex. That kind of awareness doesn't
come till much later. So you'll be the only one feeling a bit off about it.
I'll cross my fingers for you. : )
-Alicia

Old August 4th 03, 06:38 PM
jjmoreta

"Nina" wrote in message
As I was painting even more stuff for the baby and admiring my handiwork,
the sudden fear that the baby is NOT what they said it was, gripped me.

God,
I can't even imagine the poor baby going about for the next year or so in
the wrong colored clothes, and living in a room decorated expressly for a
child of the opposite sex.And I am SO not going to make another baby

quilt,
so I hope the thing was correct.
I guess I've done allthe preparation I need to do, so nothing left to do

but
worry for the next 12 weeks or so!

--
A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning
unnecessary.
----Dorothy Canfield Fisher----

*sigh* At least you get the chance to find out. I'm dealing with the same
issues somewhat because we REALLY want a boy, and all the clothes I'm
getting from my family are for boys (last two cousins have been boys). I
have firmly made up my mind that if it is a girl, she will likely take after
me and be a tomboy anyways, so she's going to just wear blue until I'm out
of hand-me-downs (and wear one of those frilly headbands out in public to
ward off strangers comments). I have hedged my bets with a few pink outfits
I found at a garage sale this weekend, though. 8)

My mother had my brother 15 mos after my sister. They were military so
didn't have a lot of money. She told me that my brother only had a few boy
outfits for a long time, and wore pink and frilly stuff at home. When he
was born, she started buying more unisex basic clothes for my sister (less
ruffles) so he could wear them later too. Makes sense to me.

I wish you all the luck in that the u/s tech was right!

- Joanne
25w6d

Old August 4th 03, 08:07 PM
Em

"Nina" wrote in message
As I was painting even more stuff for the baby and admiring my handiwork,
the sudden fear that the baby is NOT what they said it was, gripped me.

God,
I can't even imagine the poor baby going about for the next year or so in
the wrong colored clothes, and living in a room decorated expressly for a
child of the opposite sex.And I am SO not going to make another baby

quilt,
so I hope the thing was correct.
I guess I've done allthe preparation I need to do, so nothing left to do

but
worry for the next 12 weeks or so!

This has crossed my mind recently as well. The baby is sharing our room and
so doesn't have a themed nursery and we're not much into "color-coding" so
he has lots of neutral clothes, but even so I've had this little image of my
little boy baby in my head since my 21 week ultrasound and I think it would
*really* throw me off if the tech made a mistake. It is not that the sex
matters really (in fact I thought I was having a girl before the ultrasound)
and the baby certainly doesn't know the difference, it is just that thinking
of him as a boy is part of this baby's identity to me now and if they were
wrong it would make me feel a little bit like I accidentally got the wrong
baby! I'm pretty sure they weren't wrong though and the doctor who did it
said they have just about 100% accuracy, but still, it has crossed my mind,
so I know where you're coming from a little :-)

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old August 4th 03, 10:15 PM
Daye

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:38:54 -0500, "jjmoreta"
wrote:

(and wear one of those frilly headbands out in public to
ward off strangers comments)

It won't work. I had my darling DD dressed in pink from head to toe,
and I still had a couple of people ask me how old my SON was. Some
people don't seem to get clues about the baby's sex from clothing.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old August 4th 03, 10:20 PM
Daye

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:38:32 GMT, "Nina"
wrote:

As I was painting even more stuff for the baby and admiring my handiwork,
the sudden fear that the baby is NOT what they said it was, gripped me.

Which is why I bought only unisex clothes for my first before she was
born. Pink is not my favorite color. In fact, I hate it. So she
only had a few pink outfits. She also didn't have many frilly outfits
as I didn't see them as practical. She does have some dresses, but
they were bought *after* she was born.

Girls can get away with blue. DD has spent a lot of her life in blue
-- it is one of my favorite colors. I think it is harder to pass off
a boy in all pink. However, if you have sweater that is primarily
another color, but has pink in it, a boy can def. wear that.

I have no idea what the second is yet. I will not have a huge problem
with my second wearing the clothes bought for the first, except that
DD was born in the middle of winter and #2 is to be born in the middle
of summer (for Australia).

I will tell you that the baby will not care what it is wearing so long
as it is comfortable and weather appropriate.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old August 4th 03, 10:21 PM
Kereru

"Nina" wrote in message
As I was painting even more stuff for the baby and admiring my handiwork,
the sudden fear that the baby is NOT what they said it was, gripped me.

God,
I can't even imagine the poor baby going about for the next year or so in
the wrong colored clothes, and living in a room decorated expressly for a
child of the opposite sex.And I am SO not going to make another baby

quilt,
so I hope the thing was correct.
I guess I've done allthe preparation I need to do, so nothing left to do

but
worry for the next 12 weeks or so!

--
A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning
unnecessary.
----Dorothy Canfield Fisher----

You really need to keep an open mind about the baby's sex. They are
sometimes wrong, I have heard of people who have trouble bonding when the
"wrong" sex comes out. Just keep in the back of your mind that it could be
wrong, imagine yourself with a baby of the other sex every now and then,
pick a back up name. Don't worry about the nursery the baby won't give two
hoots, I know it's expensive but it's only money with is nothing compared to
your relationship with your baby that's the important thing.

I haven't decorated a nursery for either of my babies even though we are 99%
sure on the sex this time. Decorating the nursery is really for your benifit
rather than baby's (nothing wrong with that of course) it will be ages
before the baby even notices it's room. However I a am having a great time
decorating my two year olds new room because I not only know his sex but I
know him! and he will really enjoy it.

I see this as the one main problem with learning the baby's sex by
ultrasound. It never even occured to me until my niece Maggie was born a
Jimmy!

Good Luck

Judy

Old August 4th 03, 10:26 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:38:32 GMT, "Nina"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
As I was painting even more stuff for the baby and admiring my handiwork,
the sudden fear that the baby is NOT what they said it was, gripped me. God,
I can't even imagine the poor baby going about for the next year or so in
the wrong colored clothes, and living in a room decorated expressly for a
child of the opposite sex.And I am SO not going to make another baby quilt,
so I hope the thing was correct.
I guess I've done allthe preparation I need to do, so nothing left to do but
worry for the next 12 weeks or so!

We had panics like this too. About 3 weeks before S was born DH came
through and read to me from name books at 2 in the morning! The
result is that we have a name picked out for a daughter now. The tech
was right however.

If my next baby is a girl she will be wearing the wrong colour clothes
for a year anyway, but I don't think it will scar her for life!

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)
Seoras' story: http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Old August 4th 03, 11:01 PM
Puester

Nina wrote:

As I was painting even more stuff for the baby and admiring my handiwork,
the sudden fear that the baby is NOT what they said it was, gripped me. God,
I can't even imagine the poor baby going about for the next year or so in
the wrong colored clothes, and living in a room decorated expressly for a
child of the opposite sex.And I am SO not going to make another baby quilt,
so I hope the thing was correct.
I guess I've done allthe preparation I need to do, so nothing left to do but
worry for the next 12 weeks or so!

--

The baby will never notice. You're the only one who will care.
(Yes, they are wrong occasionally.)

gloria p

"Parenting Without Punishing" Chris General 328 July 1st 04 05:59 AM
?'s about early preg ultrasound Henrietta Louise Pregnancy 15 July 30th 03 02:54 AM
17 Week Ultrasound Crystal Dreamer Pregnancy 3 July 29th 03 01:24 PM
Ultrasound and MOVEMENT! WD Pregnancy 3 July 25th 03 03:37 PM
Ultrasound -28 weeks & update Elly Pregnancy 7 July 22nd 03 09:59 PM