Gas problem

Old July 19th 06, 07:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

Default Gas problem

The last few days, my nearly 5 month old DD seems to have been farting a
lot, especiaally when she wakes during the night. She squirms as though her
tummy is uncomfortable (though this is just my interpretation) then lets one
off.

Is it most likely something I've eaten? I can't think of anything I've eaten
recently that might have caused it. Or could it be some stomach bug she's
got? Or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks,
Liz

Old July 21st 06, 04:04 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

If you can't think of anything you've eaten or that she has eaten, I
wouldn't worry about it unless it is causing her to lose sleep. Some
babies' systems are more alert to the goings on inside than others and
some learn what turns into a sort of a reflex reaction later than
others - meaning she could just be annoyed that she feels that toot
flowing through her tummy versus not noticing it and instinctually
letting it rip. lol. I had a doc tell me that when I commented on how
my first seemed to make such a production of the bowel actions about to
come. lol. He never cried, but you could just tell he was very atuned
to something happening. lol.

Old July 22nd 06, 12:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"Engram" wrote in message

"Liz" wrote in message
The last few days, my nearly 5 month old DD seems to have been farting a
lot, especiaally when she wakes during the night. She squirms as though
her tummy is uncomfortable (though this is just my interpretation) then
lets one off.

Is it most likely something I've eaten? I can't think of anything I've
eaten recently that might have caused it. Or could it be some stomach bug
she's got? Or is it nothing to worry about?

Have you eaten pears? Even if you haven't eaten anything "clasically"
gassy such as beans or cauliflower, innocent-looking stuff such as pears
could be the culprit. A friend of mine ate a pear and her daughter was
gassy all day after that!

Or sometimes kids are just gassy and it's nothing to do with you.

No, not pears (I don't like them) :-)

Liz

Old July 22nd 06, 12:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you can't think of anything you've eaten or that she has eaten, I
wouldn't worry about it unless it is causing her to lose sleep. Some
babies' systems are more alert to the goings on inside than others and
some learn what turns into a sort of a reflex reaction later than
others - meaning she could just be annoyed that she feels that toot
flowing through her tummy versus not noticing it and instinctually
letting it rip. lol. I had a doc tell me that when I commented on how
my first seemed to make such a production of the bowel actions about to
come. lol. He never cried, but you could just tell he was very atuned
to something happening. lol.

Yes, I think she does know -- she usually has a major fussy period for ...
oh, up to an hour before a bowel movement :-) Pity it's such a long and
unpredictable time, otherwise I could use it as a cue to take her to the
potty.

Liz

Old July 22nd 06, 01:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

If she has a predictable fussy period before pooping, then DO take her
to the toilet and hold her over it in a good (knees up) position. It
may help her to pass her stool more easily. It sure can't hurt to try!

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old July 22nd 06, 01:37 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Altbough it is possible for just about any food to cause gas in the
nursing infant, pears strike me as unlikely. And I sure wouldn't
eliminate a food with just a single day of gassiness! The gas could
have been caused by a different food, by a passing virus, by sheer bad
luck, and the pear could be completely innocent!

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old July 22nd 06, 02:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi --

If she has a predictable fussy period before pooping, then DO take her
to the toilet and hold her over it in a good (knees up) position. It
may help her to pass her stool more easily. It sure can't hurt to try!

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Well I have tried a few times, but it's not THAT predictable -- sometimes
her fussiness doesn't seem to lead to a poo, and sometimes the poo isn't
preceded by fussiness. But yes, I should try it more often.

Liz

Old July 22nd 06, 08:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

wrote:

Take a 5-mo-old to the potty?

Sure! Look up "elimination communication"
in Google.

-- Anita --

Old July 22nd 06, 09:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

wrote in message
oups.com...
Take a 5-mo-old to the potty?

That's about when my mum started with me and my sister, and she had us out
of nappies by 18 months.

Liz