Homeschooling for free?

Old July 19th 03, 01:57 AM
blacksalt

Default Homeschooling for free?

COcon28932 wrote:

If anyone knows of a school online or correspondence courses that are free,
please write. There is very little money, and our town does not really have
anything for this! We do have a high school online here, but my daughter is too
young for that.

I'd search google. I don't remember the site, or even what I was
searching for (though I suspect it had something to do with phonetics or
helping dyslexic children very early) and I came upon a free site with
downloadable lessons. I think I've seen more than one. If I can find
them, so can you.
blacksalt
Old July 19th 03, 02:58 AM
Joni Rathbun

On 19 Jul 2003, COcon28932 wrote:

If anyone knows of a school online or correspondence courses that are free,
please write. There is very little money, and our town does not really have
anything for this! We do have a high school online here, but my daughter is too
young for that.

Do you have a library? Check there for other homeschoolers. Otherwise, if
homeschooling simply means correspondence courses to you, I urge you to
consider sending your child to the nearest public school.

Old July 19th 03, 03:52 AM
Ali's Daddie

"Candio" wrote in message
s.com...
| On 18 Jul 2003, Joni Rathbun wrote in
| :
|

| On 19 Jul 2003, COcon28932 wrote:
|
| If anyone knows of a school online or correspondence courses that are
| free, please write. There is very little money, and our town does not
| really have anything for this! We do have a high school online here,
| but my daughter is too young for that.
|
| Do you have a library? Check there for other homeschoolers. Otherwise,
| if homeschooling simply means correspondence courses to you, I urge
| you to consider sending your child to the nearest public school.
|
| Homeschooling is for fundie morons who don't want their children to
develop
| social skills or independent thought. Public schools are there. Use them.

That is the old home school stigma. Newer homeschooling is more along the
lines of a parent owned private school...

Plus the education is better ;-)

--

LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

before you reply to me via email, please remove your hat
ourHat

Take a look at my eBay auctions I just might have something you can't live
without :-)
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/dads2003/

Old July 19th 03, 04:16 AM
Joni Rathbun

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Ali's Daddie wrote:

"Candio" wrote in message
s.com...
| On 18 Jul 2003, Joni Rathbun wrote in
| :
|

| On 19 Jul 2003, COcon28932 wrote:
|
| If anyone knows of a school online or correspondence courses that are
| free, please write. There is very little money, and our town does not
| really have anything for this! We do have a high school online here,
| but my daughter is too young for that.
|
| Do you have a library? Check there for other homeschoolers. Otherwise,
| if homeschooling simply means correspondence courses to you, I urge
| you to consider sending your child to the nearest public school.
|
| Homeschooling is for fundie morons who don't want their children to
develop
| social skills or independent thought. Public schools are there. Use them.

That is the old home school stigma. Newer homeschooling is more along the
lines of a parent owned private school...

Plus the education is better ;-)

I'm a strong supporter of homeschooling and I know that socialization
and independent thought aren't really issues, not the way the other
posters wants them to be. It should also be noted that religion is
no longer the #1 motivator among homeschooling families. Things
have changed a lot.

And yes, homeschooling CAN be better. Homeschooling SHOULD be
better all things considered.

But not all homeschooling is better - and nothing in the original
poster's post gave me much confidence about the situation there.
Of course, I'm being judgemental via a newsgroup without all the facts.
If the local school is worse than a series of correspondence courses,
then perhaps the correspondence courses are the way to go.

Old July 19th 03, 04:36 AM
CBI

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message

That is the old home school stigma. Newer homeschooling is more along the
lines of a parent owned private school...

The last couple of parents who have discussed how they were "homeschooling"
their kids with me have described something that was not all that different
than a smaller version of regular old school.

I'm starting to realize that in some cases "homeschool" is just a small,
private, unregulated school.

--
CBI

Old July 19th 03, 04:48 AM
Joni Rathbun

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, CBI wrote:

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message

That is the old home school stigma. Newer homeschooling is more along the
lines of a parent owned private school...

The last couple of parents who have discussed how they were "homeschooling"
their kids with me have described something that was not all that different
than a smaller version of regular old school.

I'm starting to realize that in some cases "homeschool" is just a small,
private, unregulated school.

In many cases that's exactly what it is. I've seen a lot of drill and
practice (in and of itself not a bad thing) and a lot of worksheets
and canned curricula. Some people are happy with that and that's
okay by me because I believe parents should be allowed to make
these decisions. Tho when I homeschooled, I did it precisly to
get away from that kind of instructional method....

Old July 19th 03, 06:11 AM
Marie

Joni Rathbun wrote in message ...
In many cases that's exactly what it is. I've seen a lot of drill and
practice (in and of itself not a bad thing) and a lot of worksheets
and canned curricula. Some people are happy with that and that's
okay by me because I believe parents should be allowed to make
these decisions. Tho when I homeschooled, I did it precisly to
get away from that kind of instructional method....

To each their own, but I don't see the point of homeschooling when a "canned
curriculum" is being used. Many families homeschool through the school
district here (which is one of three options) and that means the district
decides what textbooks are to be used, and all the rules involved make it
almost pointless to homeschool.
I agree though, parents should be allowed to make that decision.
Marie

Old July 19th 03, 01:51 PM
llama mama

Candio wrote in
s.com:

On 18 Jul 2003, Joni Rathbun wrote in
:

On 19 Jul 2003, COcon28932 wrote:

If anyone knows of a school online or correspondence courses that
are free, please write. There is very little money, and our town
does not really have anything for this! We do have a high school
online here, but my daughter is too young for that.

Do you have a library? Check there for other homeschoolers.
Otherwise, if homeschooling simply means correspondence courses to
you, I urge you to consider sending your child to the nearest public
school.

Homeschooling is for fundie morons who don't want their children to
develop social skills or independent thought. Public schools are
there. Use them.

public schools are for people who don't want thier kids to develop
independant thought or learn how to deal with anyone not in thier
specific age group public schools are just big daycare centers for the
most part.

lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital
Old July 19th 03, 03:59 PM
llama mama

"Marie" wrote in
:

llama mama wrote in message ...
public schools are for people who don't want thier kids to develop
independant thought or learn how to deal with anyone not in thier
specific age group public schools are just big daycare centers for
the most part.

*Now* you've done it!!

i dunno... we'll see. i don't think that troll has much to offer,
debate wise g personally, i have no problem with public schools, just
with the overwhelming bureaucracy & horrible teacher salaries. IOW, the
idea is wonderful, but in my area at least, the implementation sucks...
so i'll be homeschooling. my other reason for homeschooling is that
i'm 48 with a 3 year old. i want to travel & that gives me both a
reason to homeschool & a neat way to see the world through the eyes of
a child g. i suspect he'll be way better off when he graduates than
any public school kid.

lee who agrees that trying to homeschool for free sounds suspect
though --
Old July 19th 03, 04:12 PM
Marion Baumgarten

Ali's Daddie wrote:

That is the old home school stigma. Newer homeschooling is more along the
lines of a parent owned private school...

Plus the education is better ;-)

I think this is way too broad a statement- home school education varies
just as private school education. Particularly now that my daughter is
goind into high school, I can state that the education she and my son
have received in the public schools is better than what we could have
provided at home.

Marion Baumgarten