Hypothetically speaking and stuff

Old October 26th 04, 07:56 PM
PattyMomVA

"Unadulterated Me" wrote and I snipped:
Can I have some feedback on these names

Adelaide, Arabella, Georgette, Freya, Fleur, Jemima, Lucinda, Lucianna,
Matilda, Poppy, Saffron, Tamasin (not Tamsin), Tansy, Willow

And would it be too cheesy to give a baby girl born in May 'May' as a
second name?

Girls names we already have are...
Tessa Hannah
Paige Breanna
Grace Madeline
Rose Isabella
Amelia Kate
Lydia Elisabeth

My comments/impressions:
Adelaide from Guys and Dolls, but okay/pretty
Georgette from The Mary Tyler Moore Show, ditzy/flaky/too feminine
Freya, too German
Fleur, too French
Jemima, adorable girl in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Tamasin/Tamsin, never heard of either
Poppy, Saffron, Willow, not real/traditional names, don't go with your other
girls
Freya, Fleur, Tansy, also don't go with your other girls
the rest are pretty (Arabella, Lucinda, Lucianna, Matilda)

I love the middle name May, especially for girl born in May. Although I
also like it for girl born to mother with May birthday. Two of my favorites
are Charlotte May and Lindsay May (although Lindsay is close to Lydia).

Good luck!
-Patty, mom of 3

Old October 26th 04, 08:07 PM
Jacqui

Unadulterated Me wibbled
(snip)
And would it be too cheesy to give a baby girl born in May 'May'
as a second name?

Definitely not too cheesy! I'd use it as a first name myself if it
was applicable (I'm a May baby myself).

Girls names we already have are...
Tessa Hannah
Paige Breanna
Grace Madeline
Rose Isabella
Amelia Kate
Lydia Elisabeth

Adelaide, Arabella, Georgette, Freya, Fleur, Jemima, Lucinda,
Lucianna, Matilda, Poppy, Saffron, Tamasin (not Tamsin), Tansy,
Willow

Given your existing girls' names, I think Adelaide, Freya, Jemima,
Matilda go well. In abstract I really like Poppy and Tansy too, but
I like the fact that the first names all end in e or a so far. ;-)

Jac
Old October 26th 04, 08:20 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:07:47 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

Rowan and Rohan are a little too male sounding.

Ronan is the male name I tend to think of, though
no one but me seems to like it IRL.

Rowan and Rohan are typically boy's names here too.

Ahhh...don't think I've met any male Rowans,
though I have met male Willows (of all things--that
name seems very feminine to me for a boy). Must be
because of the movie.

Rowan is definitely boy to me as well.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7th May 2003, 17 hours. http://seoras.farr-montgomery.com
EDD 11th March 2005 (another boy!)
Old October 26th 04, 08:26 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:54:25 +1000, "Mamma Mia"
wrote:

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
. au...
not to add to the troubles, but what about ANNALISE?

another one of my cousins is THEA SOPHIE, i have always thought that was a
nice name

Not sure whether it will have the same affect on Andrea, but it just
made me think of Dame Thea Muldoon. Andrea will know how I mean...

Megan
Old October 26th 04, 08:26 PM
H Schinske

Ericka ) wrote:

Ahhh...don't think I've met any male Rowans,
though I have met male Willows (of all things--that
name seems very feminine to me for a boy). Must be
because of the movie.

I once addressed a New Zealand bookdealer whom I was ordering something from as
Ms. So-and-so based on the first name being Rowan, and he pointed out gently
that he was male -- said it ran about fifty-fifty in his experience. The only
Rowan I had previously encountered was a fictional girl, Rowan Marlow in
Antonia Forest's books (this was before _Rowan of Rin_, which I haven't read).

--Helen
Old October 26th 04, 08:31 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:54:56 +1300, Unadulterated Me
wrote:

Can I have some feedback on these names, any make your stomach turn, any
you adore that sort of thing....connotations to them, no need to feed
back on every name just the ones you have strong thoughts on. Trying to
come up with some sort of short list for contemplation, not having much
luck.

Adelaide

Australia.

Arabella,

Not keen

Georgette,

I'm another who prefers Georgina/Georgianna.

Freya,

Love it, was on our list.

Fleur,

Like it

Jemima,

Not bad, but Puddleduck

Lucinda,

Not so keen

Lucianna,
Matilda, Poppy,

Like them all. However I;d worry about the Aussie connection with
Matilda.

Saffron,

Well, she had a homebirth, so thats something ;-)

Tamasin (not Tamsin),

I prefer Tamsin, personally.

Tansy,

Love it

Willow

Hmmm, not sure.

Re Oscar and Jack, Oscar gets my vote since Jack is terribly popular
at the moment. Mind you I am the one in a tizz because my first
choice for boys name is in the top 30 in NZ ;-)

Megan
Old October 26th 04, 08:32 PM
Iuil

"Buzzy Bee" wrote

Rowan is definitely boy to me as well.

It's listed as a male name in all my books - from Ruadhan meaning
"red-haired". The female equivalent would be Ruadhnait anglicised Ronaid or
Reonaid.

Jean

#1 - June '02
#2 - May '05

Old October 26th 04, 09:17 PM
sher

Unadulterated Me wrote:

Adelaide

Like it. I also like Adeline.

Arabella

I think this fits really well with your other girls.

Georgette, Freya, Fleur, Jemima,

Not too fond of these.

Lucinda, Lucianna,

I like these, but I would think they would be too similar to Lydia.

Matilda, Poppy, Saffron, Tamasin (not Tamsin), Tansy,

Not too fond of these either.

Willow

I like this and think it also fits well with your other girls. I
don't think it sounds good with May as a middle name though.

And would it be too cheesy to give a baby girl born in May 'May' as a
second name?

Would you use it because she is born in May or just because you like
the sound of it? If it's the latter, then you could always spell it
"Mae".

Good luck!

~ Sher
Old October 26th 04, 10:04 PM
Mamma Mia

news
wrote:

"Mamma Mia" wrote in message
.au...
not to add to the troubles, but what about ANNALISE?

another one of my cousins is THEA SOPHIE, i have always thought that was a
nice name

Not sure whether it will have the same affect on Andrea, but it just
made me think of Dame Thea Muldoon. Andrea will know how I mean...

i am guessing piggy muldoon's wife?

Megan

Old October 26th 04, 10:26 PM
H Schinske

Jean ) wrote:

It's listed as a male name in all my books - from Ruadhan meaning
"red-haired". The female equivalent would be Ruadhnait anglicised Ronaid or
Reonaid.

What if it comes directly from the rowan tree in English, though? There isn't
any feminine form for that.

--Helen