Adjusting for pre-term delivery

Old July 28th 03, 03:53 PM
ted

Default Adjusting for pre-term delivery

Any of you who's baby was born before due date.. do you adjust
milestones according to how sooner he/she was born? Like giving solids
later than other babies etc.. This is just one example.

Or should we follow everything just like the other full term babies.

Thanks.
Old July 28th 03, 04:15 PM
Rob and Laura

I think that as far as solids go you give them to your baby when they are
ready, not when you feel like it. I tried it with Izabella and she loved it,
she was showing all the signs for it.
As far as pre-term delivery and adjusting I really do not have a clue.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

om...

Old July 28th 03, 04:47 PM
H Schinske

wrote:

Any of you whose baby was born before due date.. do you adjust
milestones according to how sooner he/she was born? Like giving solids
later than other babies etc.. This is just one example.

Or should we follow everything just like the other full term babies.

I can't remember if your baby was actually premature or was full-term but on
the early side.

Preterm babies may reach developmental milestones later, but lots of milestones
after the first few months have so much wiggle room that if your child is at
all on the early side she may be on time anyway. I would just not worry until
she hits the age (by corrected age) when she *should* be able to do something.
In other words, let her have those few weeks any time she seems to need them.
And with safety issues like when you turn the car seat around, I see no reason
not to wait a little bit as well, though truthfully it may not matter much as
babies change much less from 11.5 months to 12.5 months than they do in the
same amount of time when they're younger.

With solids, my prejudice is towards the later date, because anything else may
get you into the small-baby range when babies *are* changing so fast. I hear of
so many people on the twins newsgroup who've had babies two months early and
starting solids when their babies are only two months corrected, and it just
does not make any sense to me. If they were following the six-month
recommendation, it would at least be putting those babies only at four months
corrected, which would make a heck of a lot more sense.

--Helen
Old July 28th 03, 06:42 PM
Jenn

In article , ted
writes
Any of you who's baby was born before due date.. do you adjust
milestones according to how sooner he/she was born? Like giving solids
later than other babies etc.. This is just one example.

Or should we follow everything just like the other full term babies.

Thanks.

We viewed mile stone dates as a guide - sometime between when DS#1 (10
weeks prem) hit the 'target time' chronologically and when he made it at
his adjusted age, and mostly he was there at some point between the two
dates.

After 2 years, we found there has been virtually no need to think in
terms of adjustment, and realistically the things that are worth
worrying about (walking and talking) have a long learning curve, and
therefore a large range of 'normal'.
--
Jenn
UK
Old July 29th 03, 12:10 AM
elizabeth emerald

DS was almost 4 weeks early. as melissa said, he's early for some things &
late for others like most babies. we gave solids at 5.5 months, but we made
sure he was ready first. how early was your baby?
--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS - born 20-aug-02

om...

Old July 29th 03, 03:20 AM
A&G&K

"ted" wrote in message
om...
Any of you who's baby was born before due date.. do you adjust
milestones according to how sooner he/she was born? Like giving solids
later than other babies etc.. This is just one example.

Or should we follow everything just like the other full term babies.

Thanks.

It depends how early and what the baby is up to ...
DD was 2 weeks early (which is as good as full term) and we didn't adjust
anything. We gave her solids at about 6 mo as she was ready for them then
(grabbing our food, very interested in what we were eating etc).
HTH
Amanda

Old July 29th 03, 08:31 PM
Sara

Beth wrote:

"Melissa" wrote in message
DD was three weeks early (just on the cust of premature) and we haven't
adjusted milestones. So far, she's right on track for a lot of things,

ahead
for others and behind for others (like a normal baby).

My 37-weeker is like that, too. No real adjustment needed.

How come nobody every talks about adjusted ages for 42-weekers like
mine?

--
Sara, no I'm not being serious

I check this e-mail account infrequently