Video childbirth prep courses?

Old September 10th 04, 12:52 AM
Donna Metler

Default Video childbirth prep courses?

It looks like I'm likely to be on bedrest for the duration, so does anyone
know of any good childbirth (or breastfeeding) preparation courses which can
be done on video? It will be a C-section, so I don't need lamaze, but I know
the hospital has a separate what to expect course which I was hoping to
take, and I don't know that I'm going to be able to get off bedrest long
enough to do it. Similarly, there is a breastfeeding course available, but
I'm probably not going to be up and around until after the baby is born.

Old September 10th 04, 12:54 AM
Nan

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:52:32 -0500, "Donna Metler"
scribbled:

It looks like I'm likely to be on bedrest for the duration, so does anyone
know of any good childbirth (or breastfeeding) preparation courses which can
be done on video? It will be a C-section, so I don't need lamaze, but I know
the hospital has a separate what to expect course which I was hoping to
take, and I don't know that I'm going to be able to get off bedrest long
enough to do it. Similarly, there is a breastfeeding course available, but
I'm probably not going to be up and around until after the baby is born.

Here's one possibility:

http://www.davidgarrigus.com/pages/v...reanbirth.html

But, it's pricey for a short video. I'd suggest you contact your
library to see if they can get it, or something similar through ILL.
Also, you should be able to find a breastfeeding video at your
library.
I know you can't get out to the library, but most of them offer some
type of Outreach service. If you call and they can get you the
materials, they may be willing to drop it off and pick it up for you
if you can't round anyone up to do it for you.

In addition, call the hospital and ask them to send you the packet of
materials they'd be handing out at the class, and see if the
childbirth educator can give you a mini class via phone or an email.

Nan
Old September 10th 04, 01:22 AM
Mary W.

Donna Metler wrote:
It looks like I'm likely to be on bedrest for the duration, so does anyone
know of any good childbirth (or breastfeeding) preparation courses which can
be done on video? It will be a C-section, so I don't need lamaze, but I know
the hospital has a separate what to expect course which I was hoping to
take, and I don't know that I'm going to be able to get off bedrest long
enough to do it. Similarly, there is a breastfeeding course available, but
I'm probably not going to be up and around until after the baby is born.

For breastfeeding, you could check out the video clips
at www.breastfeeding.com. You could also call your local
LLL just to make contact, so that if you have trouble you
have someone to call. They may also have a lactation consultant
recommendation. That's where I found the LC that saved my
nursing relationship with my first daughter.

Mary W.

Old September 10th 04, 08:19 PM
Bóliath

Mary W. wrote:

For breastfeeding, you could check out the video clips
at www.breastfeeding.com.

Whata great site!

This made me laugh:

http://www.breastfeeding.com/lighter...al_things.html

Top 17 Fatal Things to Say to Your Pregnant Wife

17. "I finished the Oreo's."
16. "Not to imply anything, but I don't think the kid weighs 40
pounds."
15. "Y'know, looking at her, you'd never guess that Pamela Lee
had a baby!"
14. "I sure hope your thighs aren't gonna stay that flabby forever."
13. "Well, couldn't they induce labor? The 25th is the Super
Bowl."
12. "Darned if you ain't about five pounds away from a surprise
visit from that Richard Simmons fella."
11. "Fred at the office passed a stone the size of a pea. Boy,
that's gotta hurt."
10. "Whoa! For a minute there, I thought I woke up next to
Willard Scott!"
9. "I'm jealous! Why can't men experience the joy of childbirth?"
8. "Are your ankles supposed to look like that?"
7. "Get your *own* ice cream."
6. "Geez, you're awfully puffy looking today."
5. "Got milk?"
4. "Maybe we should name the baby after my secretary, Bambi."
3. "Man! That rose tattoo on your hip is the size of Madagascar!"
2. "Retaining water? Yeah, like the Hoover Dam retains water."

And the Number 1 Fatal Thing to Say to Your Pregnant Wife...

1. "You don't have the guts to pull the trigger........."

Thanks to Lena for posting this on the Breastfeeding.com Message Board.

Old September 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Mary S.

Donna Metler wrote:
Similarly, there is a breastfeeding course available, but
I'm probably not going to be up and around until after the baby is born.

Are you up for some more reading, or is that a PITA while on bedrest?
I'd highly recommend the book "So That's What They're For!" for a good,
all-purpose breastfeeding primer.

I hope the next few months fly by for you! (Wishful thinking, I know.)

Mary S.

Old September 10th 04, 09:57 PM
H Schinske

Donna wrote:

It looks like I'm likely to be on bedrest for the duration, so does anyone
know of any good childbirth (or breastfeeding) preparation courses which can
be done on video?

Check out what's available at your public library. I know there are some such
videos at ours. Our midwife also had a large collection of books and videos
that she would lend out to clients, and I believe there were lending libraries
available at some clinics around town. I'm sorry I don't know anything about
specific titles in video, but I like _The Nursing Mother's Companion_ by
Kathleen Huggins a lot when it comes to books. It does help to have really good
visuals when it comes to learning how to judge a baby's latch, though, so
videos are definitely good.

--Helen
Old September 12th 04, 09:33 AM
Jenrose

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
It looks like I'm likely to be on bedrest for the duration, so does anyone
know of any good childbirth (or breastfeeding) preparation courses which
can
be done on video? It will be a C-section, so I don't need lamaze, but I
know
the hospital has a separate what to expect course which I was hoping to
take, and I don't know that I'm going to be able to get off bedrest long
enough to do it. Similarly, there is a breastfeeding course available, but
I'm probably not going to be up and around until after the baby is born.

Well, for the c-section part of it, I'd call around to local childbirth
educators and see if any of them can recommend (and loan!) you a video. They
might also be able to come to your house and do one-on-one childbirth
ed--most of the childbirth ed I've ever taught has been private one-on-one
classes.

For breastfeeding--call your local La Leche League and explain your
situation. Ask if there are moms in the group who've dealt with nursing
after a c-section and/or bedrest. See if you can find a "buddy" who will be
on call for you to help you if you need help.

Another option which might just fill both needs... see if there's a good
doula in your area who a) has experience with c-section/high risk pg and b)
is good at helping moms through the special breastfeeding issues that can
crop up with a c-section. MANY doulas can and will do the private childbirth
ed thing, or at the very least go over what you need to go over. They can
also help you plan your c-section in such a way as to minimize the negative
effects on you and baby, minimize the separation, make it special. I know
doulas who are geniuses at helping work up birth plans for c-sections to
make the experience as "sacred" as possible. This can be a HUGE help with
reducing postpartum issues/emotional trauma for mom.

A big advantage of getting a doula for this kind of help is that if you have
breastfeeding issues, you know you can call her "any time"...and I do mean
any time. I used to stay on call for 2 weeks after a birth for breastfeeding
support--I'd go out at 10 or 11 at night, offered to go at 3 am, but the
biggest issue was that if they called, I'd be there within an hour, whereas
they'd have to wait til the next day for a lc or office visit. And sometimes
getting help "in the minute" can be the difference between a minor problem
easily solved and a snowballing problem that takes weeks to fix.

I can tell you several things that my close friends who've had c-sections
have told me about what made the experience better or worse:
1. Better: having the option to have the curtain down if possible and
desired. Worse: Not being given the choice.

2. Better: Having someone take pictures of everything that happens when baby
is not where Mom can see. Best: Placing a high priority on keeping baby
close to Mom at all times. Contrary to popular myth, it is NOT necessary for
c-section babe to be removed from mother's presence. Most care can and
should be given within sight of mom, and ideally mom will be able to touch
and look at baby as much as possible soon after the birth. Worse: Baby is
held up above the curtain and then whisked to another room until mom is out
of recovery. Worst: Baby is whisked off without being shown to mom, and kept
in a nursery for hours after.

3. Better: Having someone (doula, nurse) paying close attention to how
mother is handling the sensations and anesthesia. Worse: Too much anesthesia
or not enough. Worst: No one listening when mom is communicating a problem
with the anesthesia levels. My understanding is that spinal anesthesia tends
to get better reviews than epidural, which is better by far than general for
baby, but it really depends on what they put in the spinal! Best: A careful
anesthesiologist who listens and pays close attention, and a doctor who
responds quickly if there's any hint of a problem.

4. Better: Support person there through the surgery. Worse: Dad only there
from the start of the surgery to the point where the baby leaves the room.
Best: Dad *and* a support person there, so that there's a support person
there from the start of prep through the end of surgery, so that if baby
leaves the room, Dad goes with and mom is not alone with the docs. If that
support person is a doula, then she'll be able to explain exactly what is
happening and reassure Mom that all is well, or explain what is being done
if something's wrong.

5. Better: Support person there after the birth so baby can stay in the room
with mom. Worse: Baby in nursery because mom's too groggy or no one listens
to the request to see the baby. Best: Discuss pain medication options to
avoid sedatives if possible to maximize alert time for both Mom and babe,
and make sure baby stays with mom and is given a chance to nurse as early as
is practical.

6. Better: A no-nipple rule about supplements in the nursery. Worse: Bottles
given automatically without regard for future breastfeeding plans. Best:
Baby allowed to nurse as soon after the birth as is feasable, and stays in
the room so that nursing can happen on demand.

The advantage of a planned section is that you get to hash a lot of this
stuff out ahead of time. Don't take "hospital policy" for an answer--if
they tell you they have a policy, make 'em back it up with a damn good
reason if it goes against what you want to do, and if they can't give you a
good reason (and no, "We need to observe the baby" is not a good reason for
separation unless they can actually demonstrate that something specific
needs observing.)

Good luck!
Jenrose