Breastfeeding after starting with bottle

Old March 30th 04, 07:04 AM
LeeLee

Default Breastfeeding after starting with bottle

Hi, My cousin's baby is 6 days old and healthy. She was kind of going
back and forth about whether she wanted to breastfeed and finally
decided to start the baby on formula. Now she feels she really wants
to breastfeed. Her breasts are very full even though she has used the
cabbage leaves and ice packs to reduce this. Is breastfeeding
possible now? I hope so, I think it will be such a great bonding
experience for her.
Any info you experienced Mom's have would be great.
Thanks, Lisa
Old March 30th 04, 01:01 PM
Naomi Pardue

Hi, My cousin's baby is 6 days old and healthy. She was kind of going
back and forth about whether she wanted to breastfeed and finally
decided to start the baby on formula. Now she feels she really wants
to breastfeed. Her breasts are very full even though she has used the
cabbage leaves and ice packs to

reduce this. Is breastfeeding
possible now? I hope so, I think it will be such a great bonding
experience for her.

Sure, it's possible. It won't be easy though. She needs to a) start putting
baby to the breast NOW b) if baby doesn't take to nursing right away (and baby
probably won't after a week of bottles), get in touch with a good lactation
consultant who can help her teach baby how to nurse.

(BTW, be very encouraging and helpful, but don't get your hopes up too much
here. My gut says that a woman who spent the first week 'going back and forth'
may not be willing to devote the time and effort necessary to get her baby
nursing full time. Maybe she 'really wants to bf' because her breasts are full
and uncomfortable right now?)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old March 30th 04, 07:27 PM
Andrea

I formula fed numeber 1 for 5 days. He got really sick from the formula, so
I began breastfeeding him on the 6th day and he took to it like a duck to
water!

Andrea mom of 5.

om...

Old March 31st 04, 08:10 AM
LeeLee

Thanks for the advice and wisdom. I hope it will work for her, your
posts are encouraging.
I'm starting artificial inseminations in May and when I have my baby I
plan to breastfeed from day one. What a wonderful gift God has given
to mothers.
Thanks again.
Lisa