update on frustrated and getting resentful

Old January 25th 04, 04:12 AM
Liquid

Default update on frustrated and getting resentful

Whew, I can safely say that that was a terrible couple of days for me.
I have been through a lot with this little guy, but that was the first
time that I felt totally out of control (even had to leave the room and
break a glass!). I am normally so much more competent and in control.
I guess after being sleep deprived and feeling like I had no life of my
own I had to express it somehow. PLEASE do not fear that I will ever
EVER harm my baby. I would NEVER harm him (which is why I was reading
the book in the first place, I don't want to let him cry it out).

Anyway, as for the update, the day after that horrible experience of
feeling like I was going insane I had the pleasure of visiting with a
friend/councellor while walking in the wind by the ocean with baby
sleeping snugly in his sling. We talked a lot about the situation, and
though he has never had children of his own he was very helpful from the
compassionate, human side of things. I really cemented some of my
goals regarding the baby and our sleep issues.

I know now that I am capable of sticking with it, and have done. It has
not even been 10 days yet, and I am already seeing progress. I may need
to step back sometimes and take a break, but I have not given up my
ideals. I have tried the PPO as they call it (Pantley's Pull-Off
Method) to train baby from sleeping at my breast. It is working very
well, I just have to look over long term, not a few days at a time.
Raine is now beginning to turn onto his back (we sleep together at
night, so I nurse him side lying) and fall asleep on his own. I still
have to detach him before he will do this. But he used to cry and root
without end. At first I was getting really annoyed because he wasn't
learning and I felt like there wasn't any chance he would change. But I
realized he's not a machine, he learns, and he can unlearn.

We are still working on him sleeping by himself during the day, but that
is also going well.

As for total progress, he won't usually sleep more than 2 hours on
average at night, but he used to only sleep for 45 minutes to an hour,
then he'd root and would scream if I didn't give him the nipple.
Sometimes now he doesn't even root, he wakes up, fusses a bit then
settles down again.

I have regrouped, taken stock and now I have renewed determination and
patience with the little one. I know he picks up on my frustration, so
now we are all a lot happier.

Thank you so much to those of you who offered kind words, I just needed
that little push to help me get through. I highly recommend the
"No Cry Sleep Solution" to anyone having difficulties with lack of
sleep. It takes a lot of work, but in my humble opinion, it is far more
gentle to both parents and baby than the alternative.

Alicia

Old January 25th 04, 02:08 PM
Sue

I'm glad you found something that is working for you. Hang in there. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

newsmHQb.257814$X%5.106197@pd7tw2no...

Old February 1st 04, 05:44 PM
Katie

Hi Alicia,

I just noticed your update and I'm glad I did because I had been
wondering how things were going. I'm so glad to hear that you're
doing better. I knew you'd be fine if you could just get through that
rough period but I also can sympathize as to how hard that can be.
It's so easy to get frustrated and angry.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that it's great you stuck with it and I'm
glad you and Raine are making such good sleep progress!

Take care,
Katie
PS - I'm in Vancouver so I can totally understand how much a walk in
the wind by the ocean can help sanity-wise (with or without a
friend/therapist)

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 04:12:04 GMT, Liquid
asserted:

Real email: sphyrapicusathotmaildotcom