intro and RANT!

Old August 29th 03, 09:09 PM
Alicia Elliott

Default intro and RANT!

Hello all! Some of you I know, and others I am enjoying reading about from
your posts. I just recently had my baby, and thought I would check out this
ng since I've been a regular on MKP for the last several months. : ) My
name is Alicia, I'm 29 and have just had a beautiful baby boy (Aug 9th) that
weighed in at 9 pounds 3 ounces. His name is Raine. : )

Now, my rant: I am breastfeeding my little one, and have had good luck with
latching in the last two weeks, the first week was a bit silly because I was
compressing the breast the wrong way. OUCH. Anyway, it's all sorted now.
BUT, before I even had the baby I had some concerns because I had had a
breast reduction a number of years ago. I really wanted to be able to
breast feed, but didn't know if it would be possible, or if I would need to
supplement. My baby has been doing really well, he's got great colour, he's
pooping and peeing well, and he's very interactive and alert. However, my
midwife is constantly trying to bully me into taking lactation aids, and if
he doesn't start gaining faster, she wants me to supplement! ARGHHHH! I
feel like calling her and telling her to f*** off (pardon my harsh language,
she just really makes me angry).
The course of his little life has been this: He lost about 6 ounces in the
first 4-5 days or so, then regained his birth weight and another 6 ounces in
the week and that followed. Now, in the last 6 days, he has only gained 4
ounces and the midwife is going crazy with telling me he's not doing as well
as he should. I agree that he is not as high as he was, nor is he on the
'average' weight gain for this week. But she's really getting nasty with
trying to get me to intervene. Am I crazy for wanting to tell her to leave
well enough alone? I know that weight gain is very important for
development of the brain and body, but I am sure he is healthy! Of course,
if the trend were for him to be underweight, or he was showing any signs of
not getting enough milk (other than a few less ounces this week), I would
want to do something about it. But I don't feel that one week out of three
is enough of a trend to start panicking!
Please let me know if I am in the wrong here, I am a new mother, and this is
my first baby. I don't want ANYTHING to upset his development if I can help
it. But, if I am right about wanting to just leave well enough alone,
please also tell me. Have any of you had this kind of experience? How does
one handle a meddlesome midwife?

She has been paranoid since I first started seeing her. We never connected,
and even during my labour she didn't offer any kind of support. : (

Need some encouragement please.

Many thanks, Alicia

Old August 29th 03, 09:38 PM
Truffles

Alicia Elliott wrote:

[...]

Alicia, talk to Charlotte M.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old August 29th 03, 09:52 PM
A&G&K

"Alicia Elliott" wrote in message
. ca...
[...]

I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like he's gaining OK. Heck dropping from
a gain of 6 to 4 oz could be the difference of weighing before or after a
poo / feed. I think the general rule is that so long as he is gaining weight
and pooing and peeing the requisite numebr of times per day (ie 6-8) all is
OK. Make sure you bf on demand and for as long as he wants on each side,
and check his weight gain over a few weeks.

Perhaps you could see someone else, perhaps a LC (Lactation Consultant). In
Australia, most major chemist chains have clinic nurses (mine's also a LC)
that do free clinics every week. I stared seeing her when my DD was only a
couple of months old and got on with her much better than the "official"
clinic sister at the family health centre.

My DD was born at average weight and quickly dropped down to the 10% line on
the weight curve and has followed that ever since. She didn't regain all of
her birthweight until she was about 3 weeks old. My ped wasn't worried
about this because she has continued to gain at a steady rate. She is a
happy healthy, but long and skinny, 1 year old who is walking, talking,
dancing and singing, and has passed all the developmental checks for her
age.

HTH
Amanda

Old August 30th 03, 01:23 AM
HollyLewis

[...]

You're not crazy, your baby sounds fine to me, and she sounds really awful!

If you can't get rid of her (I don't understand the health care system in
Canada) then can you get her off your back by telling her you're eating oatmeal
and taking fenugreek capsules? (You might even do it. Can't hurt.)

Newborn babies may gain an ounce a day on average, but that's an AVERAGE. They
won't gain exactly that much, no more no less, each and every day. If I'm
reading you right, your son gained 12 ounces (the first 6 that he lost after
birth plus 6 more) in one week and 4 the next, which is a bit more than 1 ounce
a day average. IOW, he's bang on.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old August 30th 03, 07:05 AM
KC

My dd lost 13 oz after birth which was more than 10% of her weight.
She also had a few days of severely reduced diaper counts and
dehydration. Then even when I supplemented I didn't supplement much
and kept her to the breast all the time. She didn't get back to her
birth weight until 3.5 weeks. She was constantly on the breast it
seemed for months though. If your baby is not constantly on the
breast, then she is probably getting just the amount of milk that she
wants. I don't think my baby had any brain damage from her low supply
of food at first as she has been quite ahead on milestones from the
get go and still is.

But still, I think you should definitely keep an eye out. I know I
would be paranoid with a low weight gain. If you do come to believe
that your supply is low, you could look into taking domperidone. I
take that, fenugreek and chasteberry in order to have enough milk.
Supplementing doesn't have to be the first step in treating low
supply.

KC

Old August 30th 03, 06:00 PM
Plissken

"KC" wrote in message
om...
But still, I think you should definitely keep an eye out. I know I
would be paranoid with a low weight gain.

I wouldn't call 4 oz in 6 days a low weight gain. Average weight gain for
babies is 4-7 oz in a week (according to Dr. Sears). And one week with a
weight gain on the low end of average is hardly something to worry about.

Nadene

Old August 30th 03, 11:02 PM
allie.hacker

hi,
my name is allie and I have a 6 mos old and a 2 1/2 year old. My 6 mos old
was very happy on three meals a day and now she only eating a little.She has
been a little unwell and now wants 4 breastfeed(she was on only twice a day)
will she go back to three meal and only twice a day.
Was i doing it right before????.Help!
allie
Wiltshire,England
thanks

Old August 31st 03, 01:34 AM
Belphoebe

"allie.hacker" wrote in message
hi,
my name is allie and I have a 6 mos old and a 2 1/2 year old. My 6 mos old
was very happy on three meals a day and now she only eating a little.She

has
been a little unwell and now wants 4 breastfeed(she was on only twice a

day)
will she go back to three meal and only twice a day.
Was i doing it right before????.Help!

Allie--you might want to retry your question in a new post; you're more
likely to get more replies. Two (or for that matter four) breastfeeds
sounds awfully infrequent for a 6-month old, and three meals sounds like an
awful lot of solids for that age. The majority of your baby's nutrition
should still be from breastmilk at that age. Solids are for practice.

Belphoebe

Old August 31st 03, 09:57 AM
Al Bell

"Alicia Elliott" writes:

However, my
midwife is constantly trying to bully me into taking lactation aids, and if
he doesn't start gaining faster, she wants me to supplement!

My bias: I had supply problems that cropped up in the fifth week and
eventually led me to supplement with formula at eight weeks.

My thoughts: I think the best person to listen to is your baby. If he
seems happy and he keeps growing some over the next couple of weeks, then
it seems silly to introduce formula and it seems to be better to avoid
taking stuff like fenugreek or brewer's yeast that could turn out to be
the thalidomide of the '00s.

If your son starts to seem unhappy or super hungry, then maybe you could
test him by waiting till he's asleep and you have some extra milk, then
pumping or hand expressing a few ounces of milk into a bottle, a cup, etc.
If you give your baby the extra milk in the afternoon or late at night
(i.e., not during evening screaming time) and he devours it like a
starving baby, then maybe you have to either supplement or find a quick
way to increase your milk supply. If your baby seems happy, he grows some,
and he isn't that eager to drink extra milk, then I think I'd talk to
a pediatrician and spend some time at a La Leche League meeting before
thinking about supplementing.

Old August 31st 03, 03:06 PM
JoFromOz

The fact is, Alicia... your baby has gained weight in a short span of 6
days.

As long as there are no signs of dehydration, then do tell that woman to
f*** off

Jo (RM)

--
Babies are Born... Pizzas are delivered.

Minor rant Nikki General 7 March 4th 04 06:29 PM
An intro I suppose Amy M. Pregnancy 54 September 20th 03 01:49 PM