nursing and ergo carrier?

Old February 10th 04, 06:55 AM
Al Bell

Default nursing and ergo carrier?

Nursing and Ergo Carrier:

When my daughter passed 20 pounds, I had a hard time fanning the shoulder
of the Maya Wrap, so I got an Ergo baby carrier, which is sort of like a
Baby Born with a waist band.

The Ergo is great, but it's really hard to breastfeed in it. I have to
hold my breast up almost vertically, and my daughter has to bow her head
to reach the nipple. It's not that easy for other folks to see what I'm
doing, but I assume that any passersby who figure out what I'm doing are
somewhat horrified.

a) Is there some way to adjust the Ergo so my daughter will be sitting
lower down and closer to the breast?

b) Is there another structured carrier that's as easy to use as the Ergo,
as comfy as the Ergo, goes up to at least 35 or 40 pounds, and makes
breastfeeding easier?
Old February 10th 04, 11:07 PM
Larry McMahan

I don't know how helpful this will be but you might try a ring sling
like the OTSBH or NOJO. We really liked these a lot for the bigger
baby, but Monika didn't nurse in it a lot, so I'm not sure how easy it
will be.

Larry

Old February 11th 04, 09:56 PM
zeldabee

Al Bell was all, like:
Nursing and Ergo Carrier:

When my daughter passed 20 pounds, I had a hard time fanning the
shoulder of the Maya Wrap, so I got an Ergo baby carrier, which is
sort of like a Baby Born with a waist band.

The Ergo is great, but it's really hard to breastfeed in it. I have to
hold my breast up almost vertically, and my daughter has to bow her
head to reach the nipple. It's not that easy for other folks to see
what I'm doing, but I assume that any passersby who figure out what
I'm doing are somewhat horrified.

a) Is there some way to adjust the Ergo so my daughter will be sitting
lower down and closer to the breast?

b) Is there another structured carrier that's as easy to use as the
Ergo, as comfy as the Ergo, goes up to at least 35 or 40 pounds, and
makes breastfeeding easier?

there's the UBW, which I use, and which is very flexible:

http://www.theultimatebabywrap.com/home.html

and I've been looking at this lightweight fleece one:

http://fuzzibunzstore.com/item.asp?PID=41

I have no idea how BFing would be in either, because I don't nurse in a
sling anymore, and only did it at home when my baby was small. But the UBW
is *really* comfortable.

I was considering the Ergo as well.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old February 16th 04, 06:20 AM
Al Bell

"zeldabee" writes:

there's the UBW, which I use, and which is very flexible:

http://www.theultimatebabywrap.com/home.html

and I've been looking at this lightweight fleece one:

http://fuzzibunzstore.com/item.asp?PID=41

Thanks for the suggestions (and thanks to Larry for Larry's suggestions).
To me, the UBW and Fuzzi look like better carriers for Maya Wrap graduates
than another padded ring sling would be, because the fundamental problem
for someone with a big baby (i.e., 25 pounds) is distributing the weight
more evenly. I think that, once a baby passes a certain threshold, it's
hard to fan out the sling over the weight-bearing shoulder well enough to
keep the sling from biting into the shoulder.

The Ergo is great at protecting the shoulders. But it looks as if the UBW
and Fuzzi might be good both for saving shoulders and for nursing, which
would be wonderful.