Dead father, dying mother

Old November 5th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Dean[_3_]

Default Dead father, dying mother

Although we have been through some rough times we still have much
to be thankful for, I should stress that.
We have anything that any normal household might have. We have
food in the cabinets, a spacious house, high-speed internet access,
and a big screen TV. My sister attends a prestigious private school.
And my mother gave me the car I drive.
We have an excellent household, save the alcoholism.
After my father died was when everything went wrong. My mother had
always drank. But now came late-night fits of rage. Screaming, and
breaking things. Sometimes she would blame me, other times just
herself.
She would say terrible things. She would threaten to kill herself.
Claim that I didn't love her, that I (her son) was in fact against
her. She would go on wild rants about how much she hated the world.
She was a martyr for everything.
Sometimes she would fight with me. I used to think that I deserved
it, but now that I can see my sister in the same situation, and she
doesn't deserve it.
The death of my father had made me the 'man of the house' (as some
people might say). So some nights I took what abuse she wasn't able to
transfer to my father. Me and my sister had become my mothers only
human connections. And they both looked to me as the only male in the
household, for leadership.
Soon as she became more reckless with her drinking and smoking she
began to get sick more often. She would blame it on other things, or
come up with elaborate semi-medical explanations for her ailments.
Doctor's were only out to get her money. She had been sick with a
chronic disease a few years earlier that remised, and was still
ranting about the bills for that.
The sicknesses began to get more and more frequent, for a while
there it seemed like every week she would be worrying about something
new. The most ridiculous ailment which she came up with was a case of
seizures that she only experienced while sleeping.
She would make these terrible offhand statements like:

"Yep I think it's in my brain now"

"Better take out a ****ing life insurance policy on me"

"Gimme, gimme, gimme, you'll be happy when I'm dead"

and upon my concerned inquiry begin an argument with me.
This only worried me more about her health, as it made it
difficult to discern what was really going on. The real reason my
mother didn't want to see the doctor was because he would tell her to
calm down on the beer and cigarettes.
So now I'm 19, it's been the same old story for 5 years, only the
fits of anger have gotten worse, and now my little sister looks up to
me as a father figure. But not only is it time for me to move out but
I also think that it would be best to simply get away from my mother
until she enters treatment, the only problem is my responsibility to
my sister. I can't leave my sister here with my mother, I've been
there, and it's seriously impeded the progression of my life, and now
it's even worse.
So I want to know: What would you do?