online gift cards

Old November 26th 07, 07:08 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Default online gift cards

if you and gran both had Paypal accounts, she could deposit
money from hers into yours, like an online bank transfer.
unfortunately Paypal takes a chunk out for service charges,
but it does work.

She doesn't, apparently they are not available to residents of Cyprus.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 26th 07, 07:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Tai wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:
My gran has asked if there is anywhere online she can deposit money,
so that we can then choose some gifts for the kids. I'm guessing that
the only mechanism for doing something like this would be to purchase
a gift card to an online store, which is something we're unfamiliar
with, can you do this totally electronically? Any ideas of stores that
might do
them?

I don't know about stores but why can't your gran just get her bank to
transmit the money into your bank account? Where I live I can do that via
internet banking myself or arrange it over the counter at a nearby bank
branch. Our parents live in another country and they just send money for
their grandchildren directly into an account here by going into their bank
and organising a foreign currency transfer which usually arrives promptly
the next day. All you'd have to do is give your gran your bank, branch and
account numbers, wouldn't you?

Another option would be for her to pay the money directly into your credit
card account.

They live in Cyprus, online facilities are a bit lacking there, they
usually send cheques to my parents who pay them in to our British bank
account, she said they've already done that, but she wants to do
something extra this year, it might not seem different to us, but it
obviously is to her.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 26th 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Anne said her gran wants to send money for Anne and her husband to buy the
children what they know their children will like. Perhaps Gran is frail and
can't easily shop for gifts anymore.

It's a little odd in that they've already given money, but want to do
something extra, I think she likes the idea of being able to get some
little treat type things for all of us that will be delivered to our
door. I'm recovering from surgery and chances are I won't manage to get
the main presents before Christmas. She feels very out of touch, they
live in Cyprus, where there really isn't anything much in the shops,
what there is for kids is the same price in Cypriot pounds as in UK
pounds, so more expensive, then ludicrous postage to the US. Broadband
isn't available in their village, so browsing for presents is much
harder than it is for us.

Cheers
Anne
Old November 26th 07, 07:22 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

If Anne doesn't mind, why should you? Anne is talking about *her*
grandmother as far as I can tell. I have no idea how old Anne is but it's
quite possible the woman concerned is 80ish! I imagine she wants the
children to have something they will enjoy and knows their parents will be
able to find that. Would you also object if she asked Anne for a list of
suggestions rather than using her own imagination?

She was 73 last week, the youngest of our kids 4 living great
grandparents. The issues are much more to do with none of us living in
the same country. We're finding it hard enough to figure out what to get
the kids, DS has expressed a desire for a remote control car and my
parents are investigating that one. DD isn't able to express any
desires, but would love jigsaws, which to be honest, I'd rather purchase
myself, it's much easier to judge size and what not if you've got the
box in your hands.

Anne
Old November 26th 07, 08:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 26, 11:48 am, Penny Gaines wrote:

snip

Another option - although not as secure - is for Gran to get some
US dollars from eg a travel agent, and just put them through the
post. I have occasionally done this and never had any problems.

I don't think sending cash through the mail is legal, and sending
substantial amounts by mail would also be unwise.
Old November 26th 07, 08:28 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Anne Rogers says...

Tai wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Hmmmmm, Cyprus - :::Googling::: - ah! You posted something similar in May.

OK, they're so remote; it's a special case.

But note how this money exchange thing leaves you scratching your head as to
what to do and running around about this pretty often.

Banty

Old November 26th 07, 10:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Hmmmmm, Cyprus - :::Googling::: - ah! You posted something similar in May.

OK, they're so remote; it's a special case.

But note how this money exchange thing leaves you scratching your head as to
what to do and running around about this pretty often.

to be fair, this is the third time ever, which means we're both still
figuring it out. May would have been just before the kids birthdays, now
it's just before Christmas. I've spent something like 20 or 30 minutes
posting the question here and looking at a few websites, hardly running
around scratching my head. The website browsing is dual purpose anyway,
as it helps me spot stuff as well.

Anne
Old November 26th 07, 11:30 PM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Penny Gaines wrote:
Tai wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

If you still have a UK credit card which you can use where you are,
this is probably the best option. Gran sends a cheque to your
credit card issuer (or uses telephone or internet banking) and you
buy something in dollars on that credit card.

(Or even she pays some money into a UK credit card, you use that
credit card to buy a present from a UK shop for someone else, and buy
a present from Gran on a US credit card.)

Another option - although not as secure - is for Gran to get some
US dollars from eg a travel agent, and just put them through the
post. I have occasionally done this and never had any problems.

Yes, although it's probably not legal to send notes through the mail in most
countries so a banker's draft or money order would be a better option. They
take about the same amount of time to have issued from a bureau de change or
bank as buying foreign currency does unless you're at an airport.

Old November 26th 07, 11:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Anne Rogers wrote:
Tai wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Sure, I can see that sending it directly to you or into your control would
feel more personal than using your parents as their agents.

Old November 26th 07, 11:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Tai[_2_]

Tai wrote:
Penny Gaines wrote:
Tai wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Just to follow myself up I remembered my mother once had a senior moment and
wrote a cheque on her own account in her currency and posted it for
someone's birthday. I thought "what the heck, I'll see what the bank says"
and to my surprise they cheerfully processed it. It took about a week before
it cleared and they took a small commission to do it but in the end it
probably cost the same as if my mother had bought a bank draft in the right
currency!

Free Rx Cards t5oml3qe General 0 October 15th 07 05:16 AM
Personalized Note Cards for Any Age [email protected] Twins & Triplets 0 October 8th 07 03:48 PM
Teens and credit cards Cathy Kearns General 50 October 19th 05 02:49 AM
Xmas cards HanK Single Parents 12 December 30th 03 10:50 PM
Baby Announcement Cards Tracey Pregnancy 2 August 9th 03 06:42 AM