Has anyone ever tried these?

Old July 16th 03, 03:08 AM
Larry McMahan

Default Has anyone ever tried these?

Truffles writes:

: Larry, I've suggested the SNS and some of your other suggestions in the
: past. She is not nursing and won't ditch the bottles. Just pumping.

Oh, well, I see. Sometimes you can't even lead a horse to water. :-(

Larry
Old July 16th 03, 03:47 AM
Sue theo b

Oatmeal, Oatmeal and more Oatmeal. Cherrieos, oatmeal cookies, anything with
oatmeal in it will make more milk. It worked for me. Other than that, lots of
water and lots of help. Have you tried (when you have another helper around to
bottle feed one twin) trading off feeding methods? For instance, twin A gets an
SNS or cup and some boob time while twin B gets bottle fed by your helper. It
may help with the latch training. Good luck. Sue
Tupperware without the party???
Shop online at my website.
http://my.tupperware.com/SueBurton

** remove "spamnot" to reply**
Old July 16th 03, 03:52 AM
KC

Oatmeal. Good luck getting them to the breast. It really does
increase supply. I currently take domperidone, fenugreek, and
oatmeal. Fennel is supposed to be good too. I drink a cup of Mother's
Milk tea here and there which has fennel. I have also heard that
anise may help, so go eat a stick of licorice :-)

KC

"Marie" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
In my neverending quest to find *something* that will increase my milk
supply, I am currently taking: 80mg of domperidone/day, 16 capsules of
Fenugreek/day and 16 capsules of Blessed Thistle/day. SIGH All this, and
I'm still oly making *maybe* 1/2 of what I need for my twin boys. While I
can't find anything definitive--I'm not sure I can/should increase my
Fenugreek or Blessed Thistle (if any of you know what the max dosage should
be, please let me know), so I've been trying to find other things I can add
to my regime that may help.

Today I read something that suggested raspberry leaf, fennel, and brewer's
yeast may help. Has anyone had any experience with any of these? What
about Milk Thistle (something else someone recommended)? I'm wondering
about dosage, and any side-effects/interactions I should be worried about.

Any other ideas for increasing supply? The boys *still* haven't latched on,
so I'm struggling to increase through pumping alone.

Actually, that raises another question--even if they don't latch, could it
help supply if they just kinda lie there? I'll put them to my breast and
they'll mouth it/lick it/fall asleep on it--just not latch DOUBLE SIGH

TIA

Marie
Chris and Alex--born 04/23/03 @ 31 wks gestational.

Old July 16th 03, 01:56 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

Sue wrote:
Sorry, I don't mean to lump everyone on this group into one entitiy.

OK apology accepted.

Many
are very helpful and supportive. But the two posts that I saw were also
rude, I thought. I only saw two posts when I responded and both of those
were very condescending and not helpful to this poor new mom of twins, who
are premature at that.

Well, if you only saw two posts then you did not get the whole thread.

Mary Ann

--
Sue
mom to three girls

Mary Ann Tuli wrote in message

Sue wrote:

I'm sorry the group is not being helpful to you when you need it. They

can

be pretty judgmental and think that their way is the only way, but

please

don't let it discourage you. You are doing a great job. Hang in there.

Have you possibly posted this to misc.kids? There are a couple of mom's

with

twins on that group that might be more help to you. This group is used

giving out advice for a singletons and their advice might not help you

and

frustrate you even more.

Sue,
I find this response rather rude.
I dip in and out of mkb these days so only read the odd post. I've just
read this whole thread and while I see three posts which were not
helpful, in general there was a LOT of good advice and support.

When you say "they" you are bundling everyone in the same boat which
simply isn't fair. If you have issue with people who post rude or
unhelpful responses, write to *them*.

Mary Ann

Old July 16th 03, 02:00 PM
Sue

I'm sorry the group is not being helpful to you when you need it. They can
be pretty judgmental and think that their way is the only way, but please
don't let it discourage you. You are doing a great job. Hang in there.

Have you possibly posted this to misc.kids? There are a couple of mom's with
twins on that group that might be more help to you. This group is used to
giving out advice for a singletons and their advice might not help you and
frustrate you even more.

Oatmeal is also good at increasing supply. Are you drinking enough water and
eating enough during the day?

Also, I have to agree that you need to get the babies to your breast more
often than what you are doing. Basically, you need to try and nurse them
more and more and persevere through this trying time. Can you take them both
to bed with you for a few days and nurse them first and then supplement with
an eye dropper if they haven't latched? I know stuff needs to get done,
maybe the help you do have, can they do the house stuff for you and make
meals for you and get you water while you bed down with the babies? It will
take some time for the babies to get used to latching and eating. The bottle
is easy for them and the breast takes a bit more work. If you wait too long
to get them to the breast though, they will never latch properly and you
will have to continue to pump. If you don't want to do that, then every
feeding try the breast first. Hang in there.
--
Sue
mom to three girl

Old July 16th 03, 02:41 PM
iphigenia

Belphoebe wrote:

I read (somewhere!) that it's blessed thistle, rather than milk
thistle, that may increase supply.

According to kellymom.com, both seem to be galactagogues.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 16th 03, 02:45 PM
Belphoebe

"iphigenia" wrote in message
news
Belphoebe wrote:

I read (somewhere!) that it's blessed thistle, rather than milk
thistle, that may increase supply.

According to kellymom.com, both seem to be galactagogues.

Ah, okay.

Emily LatellaNever mind./Emily Latella

Belphoebe

Old July 16th 03, 03:38 PM
Mary W.

Marie wrote:

Any other ideas for increasing supply? The boys *still* haven't latched on,
so I'm struggling to increase through pumping alone.

Marie,

Hang in there, you are doing great. Exclusively pumping for one is
really hard, let alone trying to keep up with two.

I know you've said you've tried the lactaid, but you may want to
keep trying it. As the boys get bigger they'll get stronger and better
able to produce the suction required. Especially if they are rooting
more now. With my daughter, when we had latch problems in the
very beginning and I was supplementing, I used to give her an ounce
or so of EBM (she was full term), to take the edge off the hunger so she'd
calm down to latch (had quite a temper then, as she does now!).

Keep trying to put them to the breast. Someone around here
got thier baby to latch after a long time (like 4 months? I don't
know, that could have been on pumpmoms group too).

Every drop of BM counts, keep it up!

Mary

Old July 16th 03, 05:10 PM
Sue

I didn't get the whole thread, but now I see that some other posts have
showed up and are helpful. I jumped the gun, and I am sorry.