Britain May Soon Outlaw Spanking

Old November 23rd 03, 06:54 PM
Dewboy

Default Britain May Soon Outlaw Spanking

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message

1. It is really pathetic that we need a law to keep us from hitting each
other. My favorite... I was at McPlayland with my son the other rainy day. A
mom intervened with her 4yo son who just hit another kid. "Don't hit" she
says as she smacks him on the behind.

When I was about 10 I got smacked for bullying another kid.
During the punishment I complained that what was happening
to me was no different to what I had done to this kid.
I was told not to be cheeky and I was given extra 'smacks' as
a result.

Old November 23rd 03, 08:04 PM
ChrisScaife

"Dewboy" wrote in message

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message

1. It is really pathetic that we need a law to keep us from hitting each
other. My favorite... I was at McPlayland with my son the other rainy

day. A
mom intervened with her 4yo son who just hit another kid. "Don't hit"

she
says as she smacks him on the behind.

When I was about 10 I got smacked for bullying another kid.
During the punishment I complained that what was happening
to me was no different to what I had done to this kid.
I was told not to be cheeky and I was given extra 'smacks' as
a result.

Then the one punishing you failed, not only by administering CP, but also in
failing to communicate that what you had done was wrong.
They should have said: " Good I am glad you realise how unfair it is and so
we will never have to do this again will we."

What is now your attitude to smacking towrds your own children?

Old November 24th 03, 06:49 PM
Greg Hanson

I knew somebody who went to some British schools.

When they ban "smacking" will they put an end to
the beatings and stabbings the students give to
each other?

Or will they just wave their good fairy wand?

Don't you intend to remove all negative reinforcement?
How will that work in prisons?

Or will prisons just become psych wards for
reprogramming people?
Old November 24th 03, 08:39 PM
Kane

On 24 Nov 2003 10:49:41 -0800, (Greg Hanson)
wrote:

I knew somebody who went to some British schools.

When they ban "smacking" will they put an end to
the beatings and stabbings the students give to
each other?

What? Those well spanked and disciplined boys stab and beat each
other? Where COULD they have gotten such ideas?

Or will they just wave their good fairy wand?

You wavin' yours again?

Don't you intend to remove all negative reinforcement?

I'd say it's worth a shot. Since it worked in the US so well back when
we had the money and political mindset to do it. Incentive programs
are alive and well where they can be afforded.

Do you understand the concept of "good time"? It's a positive
reinforcment program....no gigs or complaints for a set period of time
and some of the sentence gets cut. It's even all laid out in a plan
the inmate signs.

One of the things experts in penology are ****ed about is mandatory
sentencing with no "good time" possible. It creates havoc in prisons
because the "good time" positive motivators are taken away.

How will that work in prisons?

Excellently, as has been amply proven. Not only is prisoner behavior
better over all, but ricidivism rates go down when positive methods
are used.

Or will prisons just become psych wards for
reprogramming people?

They are now. Reprogramming social misfits, which is what many of the
more serious criminals are (you'd know about that, lazy ass), is
exactly the name of the game or should be.

Unfortunately you are very off target with the psych ward reference.
Mentally ill people have been incarcerated in prisons at an alarming
rate since centralized mental health services and facilities were
closed down and patients sent back to their home communities for
"services." I hope one day that there will be a major class action
suit against the states for that bit of wisdom.

In-patient care keeps people with impaired judgement from doing
criminal acts. Turning them out was bound to come out this way.

As for the rest of the inmates:

I suspect that criminologists, penologists, and prison guards, will
never be out of work. At least as long as assholes like you are
raising children.

Kane
Old November 26th 03, 04:44 AM
Kane

Doan wrote in message ...
On 18 Nov 2003, Shorty Blackwell wrote:

(Kane) wrote in message . com...

Too bad adults can't
be whipped any more legally. That might give them a bit of an idea of
what is happening when they hit a child and call it spanking.

It's a great point. I don't encourage violence toward any human
(adult or otherwise), but I do think, similar to the death penalty,
it's the dreadful apprehension of knowing you are soon to be hit by
your parent that causes a great deal of pain for the child.

I the police still carry batons! Too bad the police can't use it on
adults! :-)

It would be nice if you'd post replies to the attributed claims or
statements. There is no relevance between the police use of batons and
the statement above yours that I can see as far as children and
parenting is concerned.

But, to respond directly to your claim:

Sure they can.

But they cannot for actions or circumstances such as you continually
trying to touch the hot stove. Nor for throwing your food at your
sister, or pulling her hair, nor for calling your mother a bad word.
Or getting up and running about in the theater during the movie, or
knocking over a supermarket display, or for getting out of mother's
sight in the park.

They can use it in contact with an adult (or even a child) if it is in
defense of self or others, to affect an arrest if requiring an
escalation of force in the face of resistance, or to generally control
the body movements and location of another - such as in crowd control.

Flailing about with a baton is at the very least frowned upon, and
often is clearly proscribed in department policy. Disabling strikes,
when the conditions above are met are accepted and taught of course.

Do you think disabling strikes on a sass mouth teen, no matter how
much one is tempted, is an effective parenting discipline method, or
acceptable policing tactic?

If you had taken tactical baton use training you'd know these things
and the answer to my question above, so you are forgiven your
ignorance.

Were you raised as though you were a criminal then?

Do you recommend tactical spanking, slapping, switching, paddling?

Logic and the anti-spanking zealotS.... ;-)

Logic and the pro-spanking enthusiasts.....{:-]

Doan

Kane
Old December 1st 03, 02:46 PM
Greg Hanson

Default Britain May Soon Outlaw Spanking- NOPE

Ignore the lessons of the past and you
will be doomed to forever repeat it.

Debate on spanking Doan General 0 June 12th 04 08:30 PM
A great article on spanking Doan General 0 February 28th 04 11:27 AM
Britain May Soon Outlaw Spanking Chris General 36 January 5th 04 02:23 AM