Refusing solids

Old July 8th 07, 10:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu

Default Refusing solids

Hi

My DD is 12months old, will be 13 soon. She is living on breastmilk
still. I have tried various times with various foods to get her to
eat solids but she just wont do it. If i give her chicken she will
eat a bit, but not so much for fruits and veggies. Occasionally she
will eat some grapes but hardly enough for me to consider weaning
her. She hates to be fed and prefers self feeding. I am very worried
about how she is going to survive when she has to go to daycare at
15mths. Did anyone else deal with something like this.

Nitu

Old July 9th 07, 07:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Jul 8, 5:53?pm, nitu wrote:
Hi

My DD is 12months old, will be 13 soon. She is living on breastmilk
still. I have tried various times with various foods to get her to
eat solids but she just wont do it. If i give her chicken she will
eat a bit, but not so much for fruits and veggies. Occasionally she
will eat some grapes but hardly enough for me to consider weaning
her. She hates to be fed and prefers self feeding. I am very worried
about how she is going to survive when she has to go to daycare at
15mths. Did anyone else deal with something like this.

Nitu

No my kids all took to their solids eagerly when they were ready for
them. The latest one was around 9 months or so before he decided he
was up for it. How long have you been trying the solids? If just
recently, it will take some time. To get her used to fruits, you can
try fruit yogurt smoothies - blending them up with vanilla-flavored
yogurt. I would say just keep trying. She will eventually give it a
go. Start with things of varying textures too, as she might have an
aversion to the sticky, wet, and cold things for now, especially if
she isn't able to use her fork and spoon yet. Some babies can actually
be neat freaks and can't stand to get messy. If that is the case, I
would probably try to find one of those bottles made for cereal and
pureed baby foods with the nipple hole larger and the base that moves
up as the food is consumed -- just to get her used to the new tastes
and past the texture part. She should find out just how yummy some
foods are despite their perceived messiness.

Old July 9th 07, 06:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Leslie

On Jul 8, 5:53?pm, nitu wrote:

.. ?Did anyone else deal with something like this.

Yes. My now-six-year-old was probably 95% breastfed until he was
close to two. He spat out baby food. He was--and is--very, very
picky. He still will not eat ANY fruits or vegetables, only milk,
meat, juice, and bread products.

It may work in your favor that your baby has to go to daycare.
Without you there to nurse her, she may be willing to try more
solids. Until then, breastmilk basically has everything in it she
needs anyway. Offer her lots of different things, let her feed them
to herself, and don't make a big deal out of it.

Leslie

Old July 9th 07, 07:55 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
nitu

Thank you both. I too hope that my DD will try different things since
i wont be available at daycare. She also has some allergies not quite
certain which ones so that makes it also very difficult. Its good to
hear breastmilk has everything in it as people keep telling me that
its not enough and she needs to eat more solids.

Nitu

Old July 10th 07, 09:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chookie

In article . com,
nitu wrote:

My DD is 12months old, will be 13 soon. She is living on breastmilk
still. I have tried various times with various foods to get her to
eat solids but she just wont do it. If i give her chicken she will
eat a bit, but not so much for fruits and veggies. Occasionally she
will eat some grapes but hardly enough for me to consider weaning
her. She hates to be fed and prefers self feeding. I am very worried
about how she is going to survive when she has to go to daycare at
15mths. Did anyone else deal with something like this.

I didn't, but I'd recommend letting her self-feed. At her age, just put a
little bit of each food that you eat onto her tray and let her decide what to
do with them. Just a morsel of each is enough, otherwise too much ends up on
the floor. Replace each item with a new one when she eats it.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue
Old July 19th 07, 05:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
barb

On Jul 10, 3:43 am, Chookie wrote:
In article . com,

nitu wrote:
[...]

I had a baby that was breast fed for 18 months without any supplement
at all. He wouldn't eat solids either, so I worried that I had to
continue to breast fed or he'd starve. Well, when I got really sick
and ended up in the hospital the dr. said no more nursing....he'll
eat, just give him time. You know he did too. By the time I got out
of the hospital (2-3days) he was sitting in his high chair eating like
a good boy. He didn't even want to nurse then. So just hang in
there, she won't starve....she'll eat when she's hungry....