SPLENDA

Old July 12th 07, 03:32 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
Richard Schultz

Default SPLENDA

In misc.health.alternative Mark Probert wrote:

: Between your references and those posted by Vince, it is now well
: documented that Not-A-Doctor Betty the Boob Martini was blowing smoke.

Could you people *please* learn how to edit your posts? Back in my
day, it was considered a serious breach of Netiquette to quote 96
lines of text in order to add two new ones.

-----
Richard Schultz
-----
There's something I must tell you, there's something I must say:
The only really perfect love is one that gets away.
Old July 12th 07, 03:34 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
bigvince

On Jul 11, 10:25 pm, Mark Probert
wrote:
bigvince wrote:
On Jul 9, 5:37 am, Peter Bowditch wrote:

, the leading cause of blindness in children around the world is
measles. Please remember that the next time you feel the need to
support some anti-vaccination liar.
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
The Millenium Projecthttp://www.ratbags.com/rsoles

Leading cause of childhood blindness
"Causes of Blindness
Causes of Childhood Blindness: Worldwide

Vitamin A Deficiency (Xerophthalmia)

A recent analysis of data indicates that vitamin A deficiency is the
leading cause of childhood blindness. It was estimated that 70% of the
500,000 children who become blind annually do so because of
xerophthalmia. This corresponds to a prevalence of roughly 1 million
in view of the high mortality among affected children. (Thylefors, et
al.', source Lighthouse International link
http://www.lighthouse.org/medical/causes-of-blindness/

Vinnie, you are right on the money. Home run! Grand slam!

Absolutely: as you implicitly admit that Peter from ratbags was
simply stating a falsehood when he attributed the leading cause of
childhood blindness to measles . The leading cause of childhood
blindness worldwide is vitamin a deficiency. I applaud you for
correcting Peter.; but as the citation was in regard to childhood
blindness; no conclusion can be drawn in regard to the general
population ergo the rest of your comments are unsupported. But again
you were exactly right in noticing the error Peter made when
attributing the majority of childhood blindness to measles. Thanks
Vince

Old July 12th 07, 03:42 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
bigvince

More on blindness and aspartame Poisons
NutraSweet / Blindness

Diabetes and Hypoglycaemia
CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, Friday, October 17, 1986

Consumer group links NutraSweet to blindness
By William Hines
Chief, Washington Bureau
Chicago Sun-Times

Ban artificial sweetener, FDA is urged

WASHINGTON - Charging that aspartame - the widely used artificial
sweetener marketed as NutraSweet causes blindness, a consumer group
yesterday petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban it. The
petition was another step in a long and so far fruitless campaign by
the Washington based Community Nutrition Institute against aspartame,
which also is sold in stores under the name Equal. Three women who
said their eyesight was seriously damaged or destroyed joined in the
citizens' petition to the FDA, which they asked "to expeditiously
remove [the] product from the market without an administrative
hearing." At a press conference called by the institute to announce
the imminent-hazard petition, two of the women told of heavy use of
aspartame-sweetened products and said their doctors had advised them
the sugar substitute was the cause of their sight loss.

The NutraSweet Co., of Skokie, Ill., a subsidiary of Searle & Co.,
brushed off the institute's complaint as "simply another round in
their repeated efforts to gain publicity for their thoroughly
discredited views on aspartame." A Washington-based group called the
International Food Information Council said through its executive
director, Thomas E. Stenzel, the allegations "that aspartame causes
various side effects are not based on any scientific data or
controlled clinical studies." James S. Turner, a Washington lawyer
representing the Community Nutrition Institute in the petition, said
the eye damage to the women named in the complaint was "a direct,
causally related event to their consumption of NutraSweet."

Both heavy users, Both women, Dana Cozad of St. Petersburg, Fla., and
Joyce Wilson of Stockbridge, Ga., described themselves as heavy users
of the sweetener.

Wilson, a real estate agent, said she no longer can take sales
prospects to see property because her vision does not permit her to
drive. "It has cost me a lot, and I really want the public to know
what a dangerous product it is," Wilson said. Cozad said that vision
loss struck her suddenly in the right eye while she was driving home
and that lengthy surgery and other sight-saving efforts followed. She
said vision is gone in that eye, and - after she has spent 13 months
on an aspartame-free diet - the condition of the left eye "remains
relatively stable." Both women said their physicians had ruled out
causes other than aspartame for their sight loss.

Methyl alcohol blamed

Dr. H. J. Roberts of West Palm Beach, Fla., said methyl alcohol is a
component of aspartame and is responsible for vision damage, which he
termed "the most serious complication" of those arising from aspartame
use. Aspartame, which is described as a "natural" product, contains
two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid, which are components
of protein. Under certain storage conditions, the sweetener breaks
down in part and methyl alcohol is a byproduct. Roberts said the
visual reaction to methyl alcohol in heavy users of aspartame is the
same as in drinkers of moonshine whiskey in Prohibition days: "They
go blind." Of 360 patients he has diagnosed as having aspartame-
related problems, Roberts said, about one-fourth had decreased vision
or blindness, nearly half had severe headaches and substantial numbers
had epileptic seizures, confusion or memory loss, extreme depression
and marked personality change.

At FDA headquarters in Rockville, Md., spokesman William Grigg said
the petition had been received but not yet studied. Grigg recalled
that Turner filed several interventions against aspartame in the past,
none of which received favorable FDA action.

STATEMENT OF H. J. ROBERTS, M.D., CONCERNING THE USE OF PRODUCTS
CONTAINING ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET) BY PERSONS WITH DIABETES AND
HYPOGLYCEMIA.

I have treated many patients with diabetes mellitus and hypoglycemia
(low blood sugar) in my capacity as a Board-certified internist and an
endocrinologist member of the Endocrine Society). Since both groups
shold abstain from sugar, I initially rejoiced that these persons had
an acceptable and presumable safe sugar substitute in aspartame.

Unfortunately, many patients in my practice, and others seen in
consultation, developed serious metabolic, neurologic and other
complications that could be specifically attributed to using aspartame
products. This was evidenced by:

The loss of diabetic control, the intensification of hypoglycemia, the
occurrence of presumed insulin reactions (including convulsions) that
proved to be aspartame reactions, and the precipitation, aggravation
or simulation of diabetic complications (especially impaired vision
and neuropathy) while using these products.

Dramatic improvement of such features after avoiding aspartame, AND
the prompt predictable recurrent of these problems when the patient
resumed aspartame products, knowlingly or inadvertently. I have cited
many instances of severe complications in patients with diabetes and
hypoglycemia caused by the use of aspartame products in my books and
scientific articles. Here are few illustrations.

A 21 year-old insulin-dependent teacher suffered more frequent insulin
reactions both at school and at home, while drinking many aspartame
colas daily. He reported: When we cut down on aspartame, I stopped
having so many reactions. A diabetic man suffered severe changes in
vision when he was drinking four liters of aspartame soft drinks
daily. An opthalmologist assured him that there was no detectable
diabetic retinopathy.

The patient then chanced to read an article about aspartame-related
eye problems. He promptly improved after avoiding these beverages, an
unlikely event if the problem was primarily a diabetic retinopathy.

A 46 year-old man with insulin-dependent diabetes had been in good
control for three decades until he began using several aspartame sodas
and packets of tabletop sweetener daily. He summarized his experience
in these terms: My diabetes went haywire, and I had terrible insulin
reactions. His diabetes was fully controlled within one week after
abstaining from aspartame products.

A 12 year-old boy with known diabetes required multiple
hospitalizations for diabetic coma while consuming considerable
aspartame products. Physicians at a university hospital had
difficulty in stabilizing his insulin requirements while he used
them.

In the light of this experience, I now advise ALL my patients with
diabetes and hypoglycemia to avoid aspartame products. A number of
alternatives are available.

I regret the failure of other physicians and the American Diabetes
Association (ADA) to sound appropriate warnings to patients and
consumers based on these repeated findings which have been described
in my corporate-neutral studies and publications.

This is largely due to these factors:

1) It has been virtually impossible to get on the programs for
national meetings of diabetologists and other professional groups in
order to describe these observations. Indeed, the ADA (of which I have
been a member for over three decades) even refused to print an
abstract of adverse reactions I encountered in 58 diabetic patients
that was submitted for its 1987 annual meeting. This abstract
subsequently appeared in CLINICAL RESEARCH (Vol. 3: 489A,
1988)...six years ago.

2) Journals devoted to diabetes and internal medicine have refused to
publish my manuscripts on this subject due to negative comments from
peer review. The likelihood at some of these reviewer-authorities had
self-serving interests in denying publication is suggested below.

3) The AMA, the FDA, and the ADA dogmatically continue to express the
unequivocal opinion that aspartame is completely safe for diabetics -
and nearly everyone else.

4) Manufacturers and producers accomplished the marketing miracle of
the 1980s through highly effective PR campaigns, the underwriting of
numerous research projects (a number involving flawed protocols) by
investigators they granted on contracted with, and enormous
biopolitical clout in order to protect their billion-dollar market.

I detailed these matters in my two books on the subject: ASPARTAME
(NUTRASWEET): IS IT SAFE? (Philadelphia, 1989, the Charles Press) and
SWEETNER DEAREST: BITTERSWEET VIGNETTES ABOUT ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET)
(West Palm Beach, 1992, Sunshine Sentinel Press, PO Box 8697
1-800-814-9800). They are also summarized in my two-tape lecture, IS
ASPARTAME (NUTRASWEET) SAFE? A MEDICAL, PUBLIC HEALTH AND LEGAL
OVERVIEW (West Palm Beach, 1992, Sunshine Sentinel Press, PO Box 8697,
1-800-814-9800).

I have discussed some of the reasons aspartame might aggravate
diabetes and hypoglycemia in these books. The possible mechanisms
include the following:

Marked changes in appetite and weight as reflected by paradoxic weight
gain or severe loss of weight.

Excessive insulin secretion and depletion of the insulin reserve.

Possible alteration of cellular receptor sites for insulin, with
ensuing insulin resistance.

Neurotransmitter alterations within the brain and peripheral nerves.

The toxicity of each of the three components of aspartame
(phenylalanine; aspartic acid: the methylester, which promptly becomes
methyl alcohol or methanol), and their multiple breakdown products
after exposure to heat or during prolonged storeage

I have asserted in my publications, and in testimony both to Congress
and FDA advisory group, that the current wholesale ingestion of
aspartame products by over half the adult population constitutes an
imminent public health hazard. Yet, this warning continues to be
ignored by the medical profession and the FDA.

Accordingly, informed and concerned consumers are justified in
criticizing the industrial-medical complex that 1) refuses to
acknowledge the problem of aspartame disease, and 2) fails to warn
high-risk groups about the potential dangers. In addition to patients
with diabetes and hypoglycemia, they include pregnant women,
children, patients with epilepshy, liver, kidney disease and eating
disorders, older persons with memory impairment, and the relatives of
aspartame reactors, diabetics and patients with phenylketonuria.

Many also correctly ask: Why is aspartame still on the market? Their
concern is intensified by the high incidence of brain tumors in
animals (known before FDA approval), and the reasonable doubt I have
documented about the apparent contributory role of aspartame in human
brain tumors.

M.D. H.J. Roberts, M.D., F.A.C.P.,F.C.C.P. August 9

All doctors .

Old July 12th 07, 09:52 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
Peter Bowditch

wrote:
bigvince wrote:
[...]

And I applaud Vince's ability to completely snip where I quoted the
WHO saying that vitamin A deficiency was a contributing factor to the
damage caused by measles.
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com
Old July 14th 07, 04:14 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
bigvince

wrote:
bigvince wrote:
[...]

Peter don't you remember this...From: Peter Bowditch

Date: Jul 9, 5:37 am
Subject: SPLENDA
To: misc.health.alternative, misc.kids, misc.kids.health,
misc.kids.pregnancy

"Jan Drew" wrote:

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
The One True Zhen Jue wrote:
On Jul 8, 5:45 am, (Richard Schultz) wrote:
In misc.health.alternative bigvince wrote:
: On Jul 5, 12:35 pm, (Richard Schultz) wrote:
: In misc.health.alternative JOHN wrote:

: : "By this process chlorocarbons such as sucralose deliver chlorine
directly
: : into our cells through normal metabolization. This makes them
effective
: : insecticides and preservatives. Preservatives must kill anything
alive to
: : prevent bacterial decomposition."

: Someone should ask Dr. Bowen how he reconciles his belief that sugar
: and salt are acceptable dietary components with their historical
: use as food preservatives.

: As you know aspartame another chlorocarbon. . .

Try again, but this time (a) answer the point that was raised and
(b) without incorrectly referring to aspartame as a "chlorocarbon" (it
isn't; it's a methyl ester of a dipeptide)

Credulous Vince has Aspartame confused with Splenda. Don't expect him
to understand his mistake or any other aspect of chemistry.

When will all those horrific side effects of Aspartame finally
manifest?

Ten years ago, Not-A-Doctor Betty Martini claimed that aspartame would
make you blind.

Where are all those blind people?

http://www.answers.com/topic/blindness?cat=health

In November 2004 article Magnitude and causes of visual impairment, the WHO
estimated that in 2002 there were 161 million (about 2.6% of the world
population) visually impaired people in the world, of whom 124 million
(about 2%) had low vision and 37 million (about 0.6%) were blind. [9]
====

How would anyone know if anyone's blindness was caused by aspartame? After
all the health effects are denied...

For ONE reason, it's called M O N E Y.

BTW, what were you doing 30 years ago?

How about 15 years ago?

Hmmmm.

Jan, the leading cause of blindness in children around the world is
measles. Please remember that the next time you feel the need to
support some anti-vaccination liar.
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
The Millenium Projecthttp://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
Australian Council Against Health Fraudhttp://www.acahf.org.au
Australian Skepticshttp://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com- Hide quoted text -

Fact check time

Old July 16th 07, 05:41 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
Mark Probert

CHICAGO SUN-TIMES, Friday, October 17, 1986

Consumer group links NutraSweet to blindness
By William Hines
Chief, Washington Bureau
Chicago Sun-Times

Ban artificial sweetener, FDA is urged

WASHINGTON - Charging that aspartame - the widely used artificial
sweetener marketed as NutraSweet causes blindness, a consumer group
yesterday petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban it. The
petition was another step in a long and so far fruitless campaign by
the Washington based Community Nutrition Institute

You mean these people?

http://www.communitynutrition.org/

If so....BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The women overdosed.

As for the rest...all opinion....
Old July 16th 07, 08:30 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
Richard Schultz

In misc.health.alternative bigvince wrote:

: Fact check time

You mean like checking your "facts" about the chemical composition of
aspartame? First you, then Jan Drew, posted a long list of lies and
half-truths about sucralose. I posted two responses in which I pointed out
some of the more obvious scientific howlers; in the second of the two,
I explained why a reasoned debate depends on accurate knowledge of the
issues involved and why the screed you posted does nothing to promote any
kind of reasoned debate of the potential risks and benefits. Why have neither
of you responded to either of my posts on the issue? (That was a rhetorical
question; I know very well why you didn't.)

-----
Richard Schultz
-----
"You don't even have a clue about which clue you're missing."
Old July 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
bigvince

On Jul 16, 3:30 am, (Richard Schultz) wrote:
[...]

Reasoned dedate starts with some modicum of
honesty

To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

As you contend ---In misc.health.alternative bigvince
wrote:

: Fact check time As you contend that I" wrote a long list of lies"
about sucralose please cite them .It is a rhetorical question you
won't you can't. We can all have an opinion; you can not have your own
set of facts.

Old July 17th 07, 05:55 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
Richard Schultz

In misc.health.alternative bigvince wrote:

: Reasoned dedate starts with some modicum of honesty

Then why did you post that aspartame is a chlorocarbon, and why did you
and Jan Drew separately post that screed about sucralose to which I
provided a detailed response?

-----
Richard Schultz
-----
"It is terrible to die of thirst in the ocean. Do you have to salt your
truth so heavily that it does not even quench thirst any more?"
Old July 18th 07, 12:52 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids,misc.kids.health,misc.kids.pregnancy
bigvince

On Jul 17, 12:55 am, (Richard Schultz) wrote:
In misc.health.alternative bigvince wrote:

: Reasoned dedate starts with some modicum of honesty

Then why did you post that aspartame is a chlorocarbon, and why did you
and Jan Drew separately post that screed about sucralose to which I
provided a detailed response?

All the postings I did refered to aspartame which I did identify
wrongly as a chlorocarbon. Nowhere did I post the same as post as Jan
Drew although I tend to agree with those postings.Please post the what
you refer to as a 'screed' that you falsly claim both I and Jan Drew
posted you won't : you can't We can all have opinions but there is one
set of facts . Honest debate starts with honesty. When you can not
post the common screed retract your in inaccurate statement. Or
follow your
pattern
wrote:
[...]

Follow Peters template. You actually teach?

SPLENDA bigvince General 42 July 20th 07 07:59 PM
SPLENDA bigvince Pregnancy 42 July 20th 07 07:59 PM
SPLENDA Mark Probert Kids Health 0 July 5th 07 06:09 PM
SPLENDA Mark Probert Breastfeeding 0 July 5th 07 06:09 PM
SPLENDA lilhornie Breastfeeding 0 July 5th 07 05:11 PM