Breastpumps

Old January 25th 04, 03:34 PM
Lori

Default Breastpumps

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the pump in style
breastpump and the traveler pump in style. Im returning to work tomorrow
and I wanted to go buy this pump today but im really not sure what the
difference is. From all the reviews it looks like this is the pump to get.
Has anyone used this pump? How much milk should I expect to be getting per
pumping session. When I use my manual I usually get 4 oz from one breast
and 2 from the other. This is in he morning and it takes about 10-15 minutes
I have a slight supply problem with my right it seems. Any input would be
great. Thanks.

Lori

Old January 25th 04, 04:06 PM
Mary W.

Lori wrote:

Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the pump in style
breastpump and the traveler pump in style. Im returning to work tomorrow
and I wanted to go buy this pump today but im really not sure what the
difference is. From all the reviews it looks like this is the pump to get.
Has anyone used this pump? How much milk should I expect to be getting per
pumping session. When I use my manual I usually get 4 oz from one breast
and 2 from the other. This is in he morning and it takes about 10-15 minutes
I have a slight supply problem with my right it seems. Any input would be
great. Thanks.

I've got the PIS. I think the traveler is just a backpack version of the pump.
Since I left my pump at work, so I wasn't transporting it much, I just got
the regular PIS. Great pump. Pumping output is varies tremendously
from person to person. If you are getting 6 ounces with your manual,
you'll probably do quite well with the PIS. At my peak, I'd get
8-10 ounces with my first session of the day and less with my later
two sessions, but I respond really well to the pump and had a chronic
oversupply problem.

Someone recently posted this site and its quite good:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/b....html#shopping

From there you can get to this site which describes the different pump styles:
http://www.artofbreastfeeding.com/cg...=Choosing.html

Good luck with going back to work. It may take a little while to really get in
the swing of things with respect to pumping, but it worked really well for us.

Mary

Old January 25th 04, 04:19 PM
Shannon G

"Lori" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the pump in

style
breastpump and the traveler pump in style. Im returning to work tomorrow
and I wanted to go buy this pump today but im really not sure what the
difference is. From all the reviews it looks like this is the pump to

get.
Has anyone used this pump? How much milk should I expect to be getting

per
pumping session. When I use my manual I usually get 4 oz from one breast
and 2 from the other. This is in he morning and it takes about 10-15

minutes
I have a slight supply problem with my right it seems. Any input would be
great. Thanks.

I've used the Medela PIS while working FT 7AM-4PM through two babes with
great success. I think the diff between the two pumps is the packaging but
the actual pumping mechanisms are the same but I've never used (or
physically seen) the traveler.

I was able to pump 9-10 ozs. per pumping session (around 8-10 minutes) with
the PIS, 6 ozs. from the right and 3-4 on the left. This is quite common to
have one breast that *performs* better than the other with a pump & it is
not truly a supply problem. If you're able to pump 6 ozs. with a manual
pump, my guess is that you'll have great success with a Medela double pump.
Each and every woman is different in how they react to a pump.

Good luck.

Shannon

Old January 25th 04, 05:50 PM
Lori

thank you both for responding. Im dying with the price of this pump but im
guessing that if I buy a cheaper one I will end up having to replace it and
spend more in the long run...so im going for quality.

Old January 26th 04, 03:06 AM
Ducky Lawyer

Mary W. wrote:

I've got the PIS. I think the traveler is just a backpack version of the pump.
Since I left my pump at work, so I wasn't transporting it much, I just got
the regular PIS. Great pump. Pumping output is varies tremendously
from person to person.

THis all sounds right to me. I just wanted to add that I have a PIS,
and just stick it in a large-ish backpack for the times I need to carry
it that way or need my hands / sides free or whatever.

Good luck with the return to work -- good for you to pump and continue
your BF relationship in this way :-) (I've just returned to work tho my
girls are nearly 14 months now, and I'm pumping one or two times in the
workday. Not sure how long I'll keep this up, but it can't hurt, right?)

-BW-

Old January 26th 04, 09:51 AM
KC

"Lori" wrote in message news:QgRQb.71565$XD5.7599@fed1read06...
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the pump in style
breastpump and the traveler pump in style. Im returning to work tomorrow
and I wanted to go buy this pump today but im really not sure what the
difference is. From all the reviews it looks like this is the pump to get.
Has anyone used this pump? How much milk should I expect to be getting per
pumping session. When I use my manual I usually get 4 oz from one breast
and 2 from the other. This is in he morning and it takes about 10-15 minutes
I have a slight supply problem with my right it seems. Any input would be
great. Thanks.

Lori

Don't forget to consider the Whittlestone Breast Expresser too if you
haven't bought one yet. They are the most like a baby, and they are
super comfortable.

KC -
Get Whittlestone Breast Expressers at:
http://alittlestore.com
Old January 26th 04, 06:08 PM
She's A Goddess

"Lori" wrote in message
Can someone please tell me what the difference is between the pump in

style
breastpump and the traveler pump in style.

As others have said, the traveler comes in in a backpack. After buying it,
I wished I hadn't since the regular PIS comes with a carrying case as well.

When I use my manual I usually get 4 oz from one breast
and 2 from the other. This is in he morning and it takes about 10-15

minutes
I have a slight supply problem with my right it seems. Any input would be
great. Thanks.

Probably not a supply issue at all. How often is babe nursing at night? Is
the breast that has less in the morning the one that babe feeds off of most
recently before you pump? Good luck with your return to work, it can put
you through the wringer.

--
Rhiannon
Mom to M. Girl (28 1/2 months) and O. Boy (7 months)

Old January 26th 04, 06:11 PM
She's A Goddess

"Lori" wrote in message
thank you both for responding. Im dying with the price of this pump but

im
guessing that if I buy a cheaper one I will end up having to replace it

and
spend more in the long run...so im going for quality.

Most people like the Ameda Purely Yours as much as the PIS, and it costs
around $50 less IIRC. Also, if you've got a pretty good freezer stash you
can try your manual pump at work for awhile and see if you get enough
production in a fast enough time. If not, then you buy the double pump.

Oh, also I wanted to mention that it took my body a few days to get used to
pumping with the Medela electric instead of the Avent manual, so you might
find that you don't get much output at first with the electric. Be prepared
with your manual as well so that you aren't completely freaked out at how
you spent a couple hundred dollars on a pump that doesn't work (BTDT).