Irvings fire editor over breastfeeding cover

Old October 15th 05, 06:56 AM

Default Irvings fire editor over breastfeeding cover

Irvings fire editor over breastfeeding cover
Last updated Oct 12 2005 06:32 AM NDT
CBC News
The Irving newspaper group in New Brunswick has pulled the latest issue of Here
magazine from store shelves and fired its editor after a photo of a
breastfeeding baby appeared on its cover.

The photo is an extreme close-up of a tiny baby suckling at its mother's breast.
The cover promoted a story about World Breastfeeding Week, which began Oct. 1.
The story also highlighted the low rates of breastfeeding in New Brunswick.

Original Oct. 6 cover

Irving news executives replaced the photo with a cartoon drawing of a woman
holding a baby in a blanket.

Former Here editor Miriam Christensen says she was fired Oct. 6, after Brunswick
News executives recalled the paper bearing the original cover from delivery
trucks and stores across the province.

Christensen had given notice of her plans to resign for other reasons a few days
earlier.

Christensen is surprised at her former employer's reaction to the photo, and
says she didn't think an image of a nursing baby would offend anyone.

"I never thought they would pull it. We had a professional photographer in Saint
John go to this woman's house, who was more than kind to agree. The photos were
beautiful, they were all beautiful and I really like that one in particular. I
just thought it was a really sweet moment."

Replacement cover

Brunswick News vice-president Victor Mlodecki told CBC the original cover was
inappropriate for some of the locations that might have distributed it.

Moncton coffee shop Joe Mokka is one of the few places that received copies of
Here with the original front page.

Café manager Gail Morin says her customers didn't seem to mind the photo.
"Nobody's ever approached [me]. I wouldn't take it down, even if they did. It's
natural, it's nature. It's nothing wrong with it."

Freelance journalist Brent MacDonald wrote the cover story and is angry the
photo was pulled. He says the cover was an important part of the piece. He says
he won't work for the paper any more.

"That photo was pulled, the image of a mother breastfeeding her baby, and it
really didn't do any justice to the story, or the real issue here, that mothers
in New Brunswick aren't breastfeeding their babies and babies are being
shortchanged."

Here is a free weekly magazine targeting urban youth in New Brunswick. It was an
independent publication for five years until 2004, when Irving-owned Brunswick
News bought it.

MORE NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR NEWS

FPI trust plans on hold

Old October 15th 05, 05:56 PM
Patagonia

I saw this on another bf newsgroup this morning - what a shame that they
can't deal with this - I saw the photo - it's a very well-done shot and IMO
not at all offensive. The modern world has a long way to go . . .

Old October 16th 05, 02:11 PM
Jo

Patagonia wrote:
I saw this on another bf newsgroup this morning - what a shame that they
can't deal with this - I saw the photo - it's a very well-done shot and IMO
not at all offensive. The modern world has a long way to go . . .

I'd love to see the pic if you can tell me where you saw it... was it
online?

It is a really sad case...

Jo
Old October 16th 05, 03:24 PM
Rebecca Jo

"Jo" wrote:

I'd love to see the pic if you can tell me where you saw it... was it
online?

It is a really sad case...

Jo

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/Vi...tpaper11102005

Rj

Old October 17th 05, 01:27 AM
Jo

Rebecca Jo wrote:
"Jo" wrote:

I'd love to see the pic if you can tell me where you saw it... was it
online?

It is a really sad case...

Jo

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/Vi...tpaper11102005

Rj

Thanks! But I can't see what is wrong with it!

Jo
Old October 17th 05, 02:29 AM
Mum of Two

"Jo" wrote in message
Rebecca Jo wrote:
"Jo" wrote:

I'd love to see the pic if you can tell me where you saw it... was it
online?

It is a really sad case...

Jo

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/Vi...tpaper11102005

Rj

Thanks! But I can't see what is wrong with it!

You know, I think I've figured out why people have a problem with photos
like this, and breastfeeding in general. It can't be the breast - there
isn't even any nipple showing, and you can see more breast at the beach. I
think it's because our culture is so squeamish about body fluids. I think
the mere idea that there is a body fluid transfer going on that upsets
people with this problem.
It's a step away from wearing Michael Jackson-like gloves and masks and
putting blankets over your children.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 17th 05, 10:47 AM

Mum of Two wrote:

You know, I think I've figured out why people have a problem with photos
like this, and breastfeeding in general. It can't be the breast - there
isn't even any nipple showing, and you can see more breast at the beach. I
think it's because our culture is so squeamish about body fluids. I think
the mere idea that there is a body fluid transfer going on that upsets
people with this problem.
It's a step away from wearing Michael Jackson-like gloves and masks and
putting blankets over your children.

That's an interesting point. When I first had ds and my niece and
nephew came to visit I went upstairs to bf. Niece (age 8)followed and
was really interested in it all. Curious Nephew (7)followed after a bit
and decided bf was 'minging'. When asked why he said it wasn't my
breast that was minging but the fact that ds was eating from it. He was
horrified when his mum pointed out he used to love eating from her and
made slurping noises

His latest cheekiness:

Mum and Nephew in his bedroom having a disagreement.
Mum telling M off
N: See that
M: Yes, it's a door.
N: Use it.

Jeni

Old October 17th 05, 10:54 AM
Cocoamum

Mum of Two wrote:

You know, I think I've figured out why people have a problem with photos
like this, and breastfeeding in general. It can't be the breast - there
isn't even any nipple showing, and you can see more breast at the beach. I
think it's because our culture is so squeamish about body fluids. I think
the mere idea that there is a body fluid transfer going on that upsets
people with this problem.
It's a step away from wearing Michael Jackson-like gloves and masks and
putting blankets over your children.

What about blood transfusion - is that a problem as well?

There's bodily fluid and then there's bodily fluid. I certainly
distinquish. (the nice and the yucky)

Tine, Denmark
Old October 17th 05, 10:28 PM
Mum of Two

"Cocoamum" wrote in message
Mum of Two wrote:

You know, I think I've figured out why people have a problem with photos
like this, and breastfeeding in general. It can't be the breast - there
isn't even any nipple showing, and you can see more breast at the beach.
think it's because our culture is so squeamish about body fluids. I think
the mere idea that there is a body fluid transfer going on that upsets
people with this problem.
It's a step away from wearing Michael Jackson-like gloves and masks and
putting blankets over your children.

What about blood transfusion - is that a problem as well?

There's bodily fluid and then there's bodily fluid. I certainly
distinquish. (the nice and the yucky)

That's the thing, I think a lot of people don't distinguish. Perhaps it's
tied in with a wider fear of the spread of germs? Spraying everything with
disinfectant etc? I'm sure a lot of people have huge issues with blood
transfusion too.
Once you have children, you soon realise that you can't stop them catching
every little bug that comes along. Children drool all over things, and put
everything in their mouths. I think most parents cease to worry about the
things that are mildly yucky but don't pose any real threat after a while.
As an observation, *most* of the people who have publicly voiced opinions
against NIP recently seem to be childless. That isn't to say that everyone
who is childless has a problem with NIP, but perhaps in general terms if
you're childless you're more likely to have a different perspective of
germs/bodily fluids?