Gentian Violet . . . ?

Old October 19th 05, 07:30 PM
Patagonia

Default Gentian Violet . . . ?

I have tried Nystatin, Diflucan, Nystatin again, acidopholus powder and
grapefruit seed extract, and the child STILL has thrush. I am down to the
purple stuff - not happy about it, but I have to give it a shot. Anyone try
this? Any experience you can tell me about?

Thanks!

Old October 20th 05, 12:11 AM
Mary W.

Patagonia wrote:

I have tried Nystatin, Diflucan, Nystatin again, acidopholus powder and
grapefruit seed extract, and the child STILL has thrush. I am down to the
purple stuff - not happy about it, but I have to give it a shot. Anyone try
this? Any experience you can tell me about?

There are lots of resources he
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Jack Newman's page on gentian violet is linked there.

I used GV with my first daughter twice. It was really messy, she
looked silly, but it cleared it up almost immediately.

For DD2, we did fine with Nystatin for her and Monistat cream
on my nipples. Oh, and disposable breast pads - for some reason
I always got thrush when I used the cloth ones.

If you google this newsgroup and thrush, you'll get lots more
advice.

Good luck!

Mary W.

Old October 20th 05, 01:03 AM
JennP

"Patagonia" wrote in message
I have tried Nystatin, Diflucan, Nystatin again, acidopholus powder and
grapefruit seed extract, and the child STILL has thrush. I am down to the
purple stuff - not happy about it, but I have to give it a shot. Anyone

try
this? Any experience you can tell me about?

I haven't had any experience with it personally but my friend did and said
that it worked, but it can be messy and stains. Basically wait to wear your
cashmere until you are done with it. HTH

JennP.

Old October 20th 05, 02:30 AM
Patagonia

"JennP" wrote in message
snip

Basically wait to wear your
cashmere until you are done with it. HTH

LOL - If I ever get a cashmere sweater, I'll be sure not to wear it while
trying the GV! :-)

Thanks.

Old October 20th 05, 02:31 AM
Patagonia

"Mary W." wrote in message
ink.net...

Patagonia wrote:

I have tried Nystatin, Diflucan, Nystatin again, acidopholus powder and
grapefruit seed extract, and the child STILL has thrush. I am down to the
purple stuff - not happy about it, but I have to give it a shot. Anyone
try this? Any experience you can tell me about?

There are lots of resources he
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

Jack Newman's page on gentian violet is linked there.

I used GV with my first daughter twice. It was really messy, she
looked silly, but it cleared it up almost immediately.

For DD2, we did fine with Nystatin for her and Monistat cream
on my nipples. Oh, and disposable breast pads - for some reason
I always got thrush when I used the cloth ones.

If you google this newsgroup and thrush, you'll get lots more
advice.

Good luck!

Mary W.

Thanks for the link! I forgot about Googling the archives of this ng - I
have been on another ng recently that has a totally different way to search
it . . . Wish me luck - I am getting the GV tomorrow, if my pharmacy
actually gets it in when they said they would!

Old October 20th 05, 10:36 AM
Jo

Patagonia wrote:
I have tried Nystatin, Diflucan, Nystatin again, acidopholus powder and
grapefruit seed extract, and the child STILL has thrush. I am down to the
purple stuff - not happy about it, but I have to give it a shot. Anyone try
this? Any experience you can tell me about?

Thanks!

My DS doesn't have it, but my nipples still do - I've tried Nystatin,
Daktarin, Canesten... Once the tubes are empty, I'm going down the GV
route, too... I'll be interested to see what you think!!

Jo
Old October 20th 05, 02:18 PM
dkhedmo

Patagonia wrote:
I have tried Nystatin, Diflucan, Nystatin again, acidopholus powder and
grapefruit seed extract, and the child STILL has thrush. I am down to the
purple stuff - not happy about it, but I have to give it a shot. Anyone try
this? Any experience you can tell me about?

Thanks!

GV didn't do much for us, what worked best in our case was for me to
take the GSE and just leave the baby alone. Mine cleared up very nicely
with the GSE and I think cut the cycle of us passing it back and forth
to each other, while the baby's ran its course (it wasn't so bad that he
had a sore mouth or anything that bad). I think the info I read about it
"running its course" was through kellymom, maybe in the Jack Newman info?

As far as cleaning up the GV, if you're careful and methodical about
application, you won't necessarily get it everywhere, but for cleaning
skin and hard surfaces "natural" type products such as babywipes seem to
work very well. I've read that in other people's suggestions, and
experienced that myself. Even commercial wipes that are purported to
conatain natural ingredients seem to work better than more chemically
based products. I use Tushies wipes, and they worked quite well,
especially for the baby's face. What was left after the wipes actually
wore off inside of a day.

-Karen, mom to Henry 5 and William 18 months-
Old October 20th 05, 03:36 PM
Patagonia

"Jo" wrote in message
Patagonia wrote:
I have tried Nystatin, Diflucan, Nystatin again, acidopholus powder and
grapefruit seed extract, and the child STILL has thrush. I am down to the
purple stuff - not happy about it, but I have to give it a shot. Anyone
try this? Any experience you can tell me about?

Thanks!

My DS doesn't have it, but my nipples still do - I've tried Nystatin,
Daktarin, Canesten... Once the tubes are empty, I'm going down the GV
route, too... I'll be interested to see what you think!!

Jo

I'll let you know! I should be starting today if the pharmacy gets it in
when they said they would. Just in time for dd to have a bright purple
mouth for ds's 3rd b-day party this Sat . . . . oh, well. It will make for
interesting photos!

Old October 20th 05, 03:39 PM
Patagonia

"dkhedmo" wrote in message
ink.net...
Patagonia wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your response. I haven't tried my taking GSE - I only have the
drops to put in solution and swab on dd's tongue. I may take the drops in
water myself, as well as the GV to see if I can double-whammy it, though. I
am SO tired of this - it's been here for about 6 or 7 weeks, and dd is only
.. . . 11 or so weeks old!