Milk with breast milk?

Old February 15th 08, 08:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

Default Milk with breast milk?

I'm just wondering...
DD2 is still nursing and still going strong. She's just about 16 months
now - wow, does time fly or what??
She currently nurses first thing in the morning, just before breakfast,
sometimes will nurse before her nap (often, though, she'll only go for a
couple minutes before nap and will nurse longer when she wakes up for her
nap), just before supper and then again at bed time. She sleeps through the
night and it's rare she'll wake up at night once she's down. She'll usually
go right back to sleep on her own within a few minutes if she does happen to
get up, and it's now only once in a blue moon that I'll bring her to bed
with us, and she nurses again and goes to sleep.
During the day, she will drink juice - I normally water it down - or water.
I have yet to give her cow's milk - she has been having milk in something
like oatmeal in the morning or if I make a soup with milk, she eats that and
has for a looong time now.
So, now, I am wondering... Does she need regular homo milk? With how she
nurses, would she be getting enough milk for her age? Obviously it's
impossible to tell how much breast milk she actually consumes as I have
never pumped (couldn't pump at all, actually) and well, I know it's really
impossible to tell how much a breastfed baby can get out of a breast, even
if a person does pump.

I'm just wondering if she's getting enough milk or not, or if she should be
drinking cow's milk. She pretty much refused a bottle right from day 1 and
has only had a boob. She won't take a bottle - wouldn't even dare to try
and offer her one at this age anyways - but drinks fine out of one of those
reusable 'juice boxes' - the rubbermaid ones with a straw or a regular cup
with help. I really don't know if she should be having regular milk along
with nursing still. She seems to have plenty of wet diapers, although I
think that's partly because of the water or juice she takes. I find that if
she doesn't have much water/juice in a day, she doesn't have very many wet
diapers. Her weight gain is good and so is her growth. She seems to be
picking little words up (mom, dad, bye, hi, uh-oh, etc) and seem to be just
fine.

Any words of advice, oh wise ones?

Old February 15th 08, 02:34 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

The reasons to drink cow's milk have to do with calcium, protein and
fluid. Breastmilk contains all these, so the real question is, is your
daughter eating a varied and healthy diet that includes those things?
If she is, then it doesn't matter how much breastmilk she's getting. If
she's not, then you need to move her towards a varied and healthy diet.
At this age, breastmilk isn't the mainstay of her diet, just a small
nutritional component. (There are reasons other than mere nutrition to
nurse, but your daughter is clearly nursing enough for those other
needs.)

The main reason to introduce cow's milk at your daughter's age is to get
her used to the flavor. My older son had trouble digesting it until he
was 7 or 8, and to this day, although he happily consumes many milk
products, he refuses to drink cow's milk. Not even flavored with
chocolate!

I hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old February 17th 08, 08:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

xkatx wrote:

I'm just wondering if she's getting enough milk or not, or if she should be
drinking cow's milk.

A child is weaned from breastmilk to a well-balanced
diet. Cow's milk is a convenient source of protein
and calcium, but it is not the only source. If she
eats enough broccoli, other green leafy vegetables,
and protein sources, she never really *needs* cow's
milk.

-- Anita --
Old February 18th 08, 10:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Beth Kevles" wrote in message

Hi --

The reasons to drink cow's milk have to do with calcium, protein and
fluid. Breastmilk contains all these, so the real question is, is your
daughter eating a varied and healthy diet that includes those things?
If she is, then it doesn't matter how much breastmilk she's getting. If
she's not, then you need to move her towards a varied and healthy diet.
At this age, breastmilk isn't the mainstay of her diet, just a small
nutritional component. (There are reasons other than mere nutrition to
nurse, but your daughter is clearly nursing enough for those other
needs.)

She does eat a fairly balanced and healthy diet... She's not picky and will
pretty much eat anything and everything. She is offered a good variety, and
her diet doesn't revolve around complete junk. She's not at the age where
she will argue and fight over junk food and treats and is just as happy to
munch on, say, an arrowroot cookie or cracker as some potato chips or
something.

The main reason to introduce cow's milk at your daughter's age is to get
her used to the flavor. My older son had trouble digesting it until he
was 7 or 8, and to this day, although he happily consumes many milk
products, he refuses to drink cow's milk. Not even flavored with
chocolate!

So offering cow's milk at this age isn't really going to bother her or
anything, and it shouldn't have a huge impact on her nursing either?
(obviously generally speaking)

I hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles

Yes, they do. Thanks!

Old February 18th 08, 10:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
xkatx

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
xkatx wrote:

I'm just wondering if she's getting enough milk or not, or if she should
be drinking cow's milk.

A child is weaned from breastmilk to a well-balanced
diet. Cow's milk is a convenient source of protein
and calcium, but it is not the only source. If she
eats enough broccoli, other green leafy vegetables,
and protein sources, she never really *needs* cow's
milk.

-- Anita --

She does like broccoli, to name one. And also does like salads - she likes
and will eat lettuce, but I find she will choke on it sometimes. Maybe
because it's kind of flat and thin, although I do chop it up in the food
chopper and let her spoon it in her mouth as more of a chunky mush than flat
and leafy. DS is the only one that won't eat broccoli now, so I do make
broccoli of some sort fairly often (steamed with cheese, in stir-frys, fresh
and raw as snacks and so on) and I could just about live off of caesar
salads, so a salad will often accompany a few different suppers.
With all that said, it sounds like she can have regular milk now, or not,
just so long as she does have a healthy diet.

Old February 18th 08, 07:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

xkatx wrote:

With all that said, it sounds like she can have regular milk now, or not,
just so long as she does have a healthy diet.

Exactly!

-- Anita --

How soon can you express breast milk? Sheryl Breastfeeding 8 July 25th 06 06:28 PM
(OT) Breast Milk xkatx Breastfeeding 1 May 7th 06 08:21 AM
Selling my breast milk [email protected] Breastfeeding 11 February 2nd 06 10:58 AM
storing breast milk hobbes Breastfeeding 0 October 11th 05 11:07 PM
cancer and breast milk Jay Breastfeeding 1 January 4th 04 06:37 AM