formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain

Old March 4th 04, 09:57 PM
ur

Default formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain

Birth weight of our little girl was 7lb 5oz. At six month she weighed
13lb 8oz.
She is into 9 th month now. For last couple of weeks she is refusing
to take bottle. She is formula fed. She is barely drinking 12 oz of
formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
vanilla, chocolate, strawberry. But no use. She takes 3 ounces of
formula at a time. She takes solids of up to one jar a day. In the 7
the month, she used to drink 28 ounces of formula and eat 1 jar of
solids. So suddenly she has stopped taking formula. Doctor is worried
about dehydration and said that she should at least take 20 ounces of
formula a day and NOT 12 ounces. Otherwise she is active, crawling and
stands with support. Her weight gain also does not seem to be in
correspondence with her birth weight.
I think if we we give her more solid she would definitely take it, but
she might skip on formula. Thats why we are avoiding giving her too
much soild. Though she is very interested in our food, whenever we
eat.
Doctor has put her on Zantac to see if that improves her appetite.
Does any one know, how we can improve her appetitie for formula? Or is
there any medicine we can try?
Note: We use Enfamil Lipil

Thanks a lot
ur
Old March 4th 04, 11:08 PM
Dagny

"ur" wrote in message
om...

Does any one know, how we can improve her appetitie for formula? Or is
there any medicine we can try?

I'm not sure how many helpful replies you will get here. This is a
breastfeeding group. Many (but not all) of us have never used formula at
all. It's not that we hate you, we just have no idea.

-- Dagny

Old March 4th 04, 11:35 PM
nina

"Dagny" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"ur" wrote in message
om...

Does any one know, how we can improve her appetitie for formula? Or is
there any medicine we can try?

I'm not sure how many helpful replies you will get here. This is a
breastfeeding group. Many (but not all) of us have never used formula at
all. It's not that we hate you, we just have no idea.

-- Dagny

I really wouldn't be helpful because I think formula is nasty and cant see
how babies can stand it.

Old March 5th 04, 12:11 AM
Nikki

ur wrote:
Birth weight of our little girl was 7lb 5oz. At six month she weighed
13lb 8oz.
She is into 9 th month now. For last couple of weeks she is refusing
to take bottle. She is formula fed.

Try posting to misc.kids instead.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 5th 04, 03:15 AM
Jan Andrea

"ur" wrote in message
om...
formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
vanilla, chocolate, strawberry.

This smells like troll to me -- do people really put
vanilla/chocolate/strawberry flavorings into formula?!?

Jan

Old March 5th 04, 03:36 AM
Plissken

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
| "ur" wrote in message
| om...
| formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
| vanilla, chocolate, strawberry.
|
| This smells like troll to me -- do people really put
| vanilla/chocolate/strawberry flavorings into formula?!?
|
| Jan

Exactly what I was thinking!

Nadene

Old March 5th 04, 04:41 AM
Chotii

"Jan Andrea" wrote in message
"ur" wrote in message
om...
formula. Occasionally she spits. We tried mixing flavours like
vanilla, chocolate, strawberry.

This smells like troll to me -- do people really put
vanilla/chocolate/strawberry flavorings into formula?!?

Actually, yes, people *do* this. Particularly it might be common outside the
US (the hotmail address does not tell us from what country the OP is posting
from).

It's true, the breastfeeding newsgroup is not the best place for answers.
However, let me say this much:

Zantac does not appear to function as an appetite-increasing medication.
Does the doctor think the baby is suffering from silent reflux, leading to a
refusal to eat? To simply increase hunger, the OP might want to ask his
doctor about Periactin (an antihistamine sometimes used in cases of
anorexia). There may be other medications similarly suitable.

If the baby wants solids, there are plenty of high-calorie solids that are
appropriate for a baby of this age. Small bits of bread can be dipped in
olive oil (unless avoiding wheat) or buttered. Soft ripe avocado. Full-fat
yogurt. Small bits of cheese. Of course solids should not be the main
source of nutrition for a baby this age, and if *I* were the OP I would
press the doctor for a better battery of tests. This weight gain seems very
slow and without knowing the parents and the baby's body type, it seems
cause for some concern.

Baby should also be encouraged to have sips of liquid from (sippy cup,
grown-up cup with assistance, plastic medication syringe, spoon, whatever
baby is willing to drink liquids from) in order to help avoid dehydration.

--angela

Old March 5th 04, 10:16 AM
Deb

I have had a double mastectomy and therefore the option of breast feeding my
baby was not there. I value the fact that I have a happy healthy child that
can have formula. If I had not had the mastectomy I would not be here today.
Please do not be hard on this lady who obviously is clutching at straws in
the hope that somebody can help her. I read this group as even though I can
not breast feed other subjects are covered here that are very relevant to
formula fed babies.

Nina I really think you ought to re-think your attitude to the circumstances
as to why some babies are formula fed.

Apologies if this offends anybody but Ninas attitude offended me through no
fault of my own.

"nina" wrote in message

"Dagny" wrote in message
hlink.net...

om...

Old March 5th 04, 06:04 PM
nina

"Deb" wrote in message
[...]

My attitude? I just said I think the stuff tastes nasty and cant see how
babies can stand it.
I also cant imagine eating and enjoying-
baby rice cereal
mashed bananas
mashed potatoes
mayonaisse
So, if anyone were to ask me how to get someone to eat more of those things,
I wouldnt have a clue. I cant tolerate them.
As far as formula, I used it with my son when I had to go out or on long car
trips. I'm probreastfeeding, not anti-formula.
Still, I think the stuff smells and tastes nasty and it amazes me that
babies like it.

Old March 5th 04, 09:34 PM
Naomi Pardue

Please do not be hard on this lady who obviously is clutching at straws in
the hope that somebody can help her. I read this group as even though I can
not breast feed other subjects are covered here

I have not seen anyone attacking her. It's just that this is a breastfeeding
group. While we do cover many other parenting subjects, exclusive formula
feeding is NOT a topic that tends to get much coverage here. There are several
other groups where she is likely to get more help for her questions, and I am a
bit puzzled why she chose to post her question here.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)