The PLAN How to stop the night wakings?

Old March 14th 08, 10:04 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default The PLAN How to stop the night wakings?

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. After discussing various
options with DH, here's what we're going to do for at least 10 days.
Pantley claims 10 days, if at that point it's not working, we'll
reevaluate and if it looks like we're making progress, we'll try
another 10 days. If not at all, then we'll re-think it.

*keep DD in our room where she is now
*take the arms off the crib (it converts to a toddler bed)
*move the crib right next to our bed
*when she wakes, not pick her up, not nurse her, but try to soothe her
back to sleep with pats on the back. This may require me to have an
arm on her for awhile.
*if she gets to screaming stage I might sit with her or walk to calm
her down, though I'm not sure if this will throw things out of whack
or not
*make sure as much as is possible that she's well fed before dinner
(although we always try this, some nights she just won't eat)
*keep a consistent bedtime of 7:30
*keep the bath at night for now, since overall that works best - it's
not every night, more like every 3rd, but if it appears that the bath
is winding her up, we'll change that
*offer her only water if she does wake up
*On nursing to sleep, I think I will still nurse her, but do it
sitting up and then lay her down awake rather than nursing laying down
to sleep on the bed as we do now. She fights this already, but I'll be
tough.

I'm holding off on the white noise for now as DH is unwilling to move
beds at the moment and that's not yet a battle I feel I need to fight.
If we're making no progress with all of the above, I may insist upon
it for at least a few nights and try a fan in the room (and he can
either move rooms or tolerate the fan. He is getting to desperation
stage but he's not quite there yet).

If after a month or so we're nowhere near close to sleeping longer
stretches, I'll see if it seems our presence is the problem, and then
we'll move to another room and I'll fight the battle with DH on the
bed. I won't be buying a new mattress. We won't be buying a new house
with lots of rooms ;-) I'm also not inclined to do a lot of work on
another room as a temporary solution since every weekend doing that is
a weekend away from working on DD's room, which is the priority (we
have too much experience of starting our priority project, only to
have another project come up requiring our immediate attention and
then everything else gets pushed back another month).

I've decided we'll tolerate the night wakings or resort to CIO at that
point if we have to.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.
I've decided for my next child, I'm ordering a sleeper, with a really
calm personality ;-)

Old March 15th 08, 03:30 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Nikki

"cjra" wrote in message

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I really appreciate the help.
I've decided for my next child, I'm ordering a sleeper, with a really
calm personality ;-)

Good luck with that order, lol.

It sounds a good plan!!

Give us an update in a couple of weeks - good luck.

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old March 15th 08, 04:16 AM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers[_4_]

cjra wrote:
Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. After discussing various
options with DH, here's what we're going to do for at least 10 days.
Pantley claims 10 days, if at that point it's not working, we'll
reevaluate and if it looks like we're making progress, we'll try
another 10 days. If not at all, then we'll re-think it.

it's my intention to see if I can dig up data on the habit thing, I've
seen the 21 days in so many places, but I don't know if it's one data
point that has propagated, or whether there is more evidence behind it.
Obviously if what you try makes you all miserable then you may prefer to
stop anyway, but if it's no worse than before, you don't want to give up
too soon! I suspect though that if it is going to work you'll notice
some changes and it's repeating what made those changes that makes it
stick. I suddenly hit an uber busy couple of days, so I'm going to have
to be disciplined and not go google it now, maybe tomorrow evening or
Sunday!

Anne
Old March 15th 08, 07:29 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Mar 14, 10:16*pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
it's my intention to see if I can dig up data on the habit thing, I've
seen the 21 days in so many places, but I don't know if it's one data
point that has propagated, or whether there is more evidence behind it.
Obviously if what you try makes you all miserable then you may prefer to
stop anyway, but if it's no worse than before, you don't want to give up
too soon! I suspect though that if it is going to work you'll notice
some changes and it's repeating what made those changes that makes it
stick. I suddenly hit an uber busy couple of days, so I'm going to have
to be disciplined and not go google it now, maybe tomorrow evening or
Sunday!

Oh don't go to any effort. The way I see it, it's easier to tell
myself 10 days than 21 days ;-). I don't expect the problem to be
resolved that quickly, but I think I should see something happening,
one way or another. if it looks like progress of any sort, we'll
continue on. If it seems the opposite, we'll re-think it.

FWIW - last night was our "first" try, although i hadn't had time to
rearrange the furniture with the crib by the bed. it's still in the
same room. Recall that though she mostly co-slept, she has slept in
the crib, more so lately.

I nursed her while sitting down, then laid her in the crib tired but
awake. She didn't do her usual "That thing is a torture chamber"
scream, but she did complain a bit. Still, she was so tired she laid
down. she kept getting up and down but was laying back down on her
own. I rubbed her back, talked to her. In the room there's a CD with
lullabies playing, but no other 'white' noise. After some time - about
3 songs - I kissed her and walked out. She fussed for about 2 minutes
then fell asleep.

I slept in the same room. She woke again about 3 hours later, I didn't
pick her up. Just rubbed her back, she calmed down but whenever I
moved away she cried. We tried a few times and I laid back down
(telling her 'go to sleep.') She fussed a bit but was out in minutes.
This happened at least 2 more times. One time she took a lot longer of
crying and fussing before she'd sleep, but she did. Then at 6:30am she
finally woke up and it was clear she wasn't sleeping again, so I
nursed her and we relaxed a bit and eventually got up.

The hardest part of last night was not just bringing her to bed with
me because I was too tired to stand there. But now I've moved the crib
close to the bed so we'll see if it works. The crib converts to a
toddler bed, which I considered doing, but I'm going to wait a bit for
that, as there's a potentially dangerous spot (the bed frame is a
futon frame with arms, so the crib isn't perfectly flush against the
bed) she could easily get stuck in, esp. if she's flailing about and
trying to get to me.