Can anybody point me to any of these famous misc.kids.etc & alt.mothersnewsgroup "charters" ?

Old May 15th 08, 02:13 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
Banty

Default So the FAQ Is On Our Side! ( Can anybody point me to any of these

In article , EdAugusts says...

Banty wrote:
In article , Suzanne says...

There are a lot of vague references to said charters and "reporting
people for spam", but not one person yet has yet posted a link. Any of
ya actually got one? tick tick tick.... TIME'S UP

Well THAT's fair. :-/

There is no formal charter since misc.kids evolved out of another group when
many of the newsgroups were renamed, but there *is* a FAQ posted in
misc.kids.info, with this link:

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.a...kids/faq/part1

Which contains:

* Please do not post advertisements. misc.kids is a non-commercial
newsgroup. Reviews and discussions of commercial products relating to
children are appropriate, although they would be more appropriate
in misc.kids.consumers.

Hmmm! "Reviews and discussions of commercial products relating to
children are appropriate...."

Which, I must point out, would NOT include the sellers of the products pushing
them.

Thank You! Case Dismissed!

P.S., I think you're wrong about the evolution of ' misc.kids.' These
group names haven't changed in at least 18 years...since before there
was a 'web'.

Look up the Great Renaming. I think Wikipedia has a decent article on it (or
part of an article).

And Usenet exists quite apart from the "web" and predates Google, DejaNews, and
even the old webcrawlers.

Banty

Old May 15th 08, 02:16 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
Banty

Default Can anybody point me to any of these famous misc.kids.etc & alt.mothers newsgroup "charters" ?

In article , aula says...

"Suzanne" wrote in message
Nobody here seems to object to all the vioxx, celebrex, fako Rolex
watches, and other garbage going on here that truly IS spam.

So tell me, why is that? Why don't any of you object to that?

Most readers ignore one post wonders OR report them to their ISP's for
spamming. When a repeater arrives then they are usually told, in no
uncertain terms, that they are violating the norms of the group. Doesn't
matter how many times he protests or gets his friends to protest, pushing a
product that is for sale is spamming. Now, if he wants to join in the
OTHER conversations in the group and talk on those topics and only leave the
product info as a sig line, well that becomes a different thing entirely.
Then he becomes a part of the group, leaves the info politely available for
those who might wish to use it, and that is fine. The people here are
trying to educate him to that norm. He can choose to listen or not. The
group can choose to accept him, ignore him, report him, or not.

Absolutely. Then people who *want to*, can take the intiative to investigate a
product.

Banty

Old May 15th 08, 07:08 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
Suzanne at SuzCorner

Default So the FAQ Is On Our Side! ( Can anybody point me to anyof these famous...

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
EdAugusts wrote:

P.S., I think you're wrong about the evolution of ' misc.kids.'
These group names haven't changed in at least 18 years...since before
there was a 'web'.

Good heavens, does your arrogance know no bounds?
Misc.kids.pregnancy was not created until 1994. Several of
us were around then to remember it, not to mention that
anyone (including yourself) is capable of googling and
verifying when it was established.

Ericka, Far from being a newbie, I used to post quite a bit on
misc.kids, back when there was only one misc.kids, and as far as I can
see, misc.kids itself is still around. What happened was not a "name
change" at all. It was a split off into two related groups.

That's entirely different.

S.

--
===
Visit my fun corner of the world :-)
Old May 15th 08, 07:38 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
Ericka Kammerer

Suzanne at SuzCorner wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
EdAugusts wrote:

P.S., I think you're wrong about the evolution of ' misc.kids.'
These group names haven't changed in at least 18 years...since before
there was a 'web'.

Good heavens, does your arrogance know no bounds?
Misc.kids.pregnancy was not created until 1994. Several of
us were around then to remember it, not to mention that
anyone (including yourself) is capable of googling and
verifying when it was established.

Ericka, Far from being a newbie, I used to post quite a bit on
misc.kids, back when there was only one misc.kids, and as far as I can
see, misc.kids itself is still around. What happened was not a "name
change" at all. It was a split off into two related groups.

Um, where did I say any different? Banty also made
clear that m.k.p evolved out of another group (m.k), though
if you go back and look at the CFV you will see that there
were more than two groups involved in the misc.kids.* reorganization.
Either way, the name "misc.kids.pregnancy" didn't even exist
18 years ago, and the m.k FAQ applies, just as Banty said, because
it is the "lead" group in the m.k.* hierarchy.

Frankly, however, this is all in the angels dancing on
pinheads category, as the main point is that advertising (which
this clearly is) is not acceptable in these newsgroups, and being
insulting and arrogant (which the thin veneer of "content" is,
even construed in the best possible light) is unwelcome just about
anywhere regardless of the charter. Ignoring netiquette is
poor manners, and so is being insulting to group members, and
if *you* care about your brand image, you would be more concerned
about the ugly light cast on it by your surrogate's behavior than
you would be about defending his inappropriate behavior.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old May 15th 08, 08:58 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Suzanne at SuzCorner wrote:
[snip]
Ericka, Far from being a newbie, I used to post quite a bit on
misc.kids, back when there was only one misc.kids, and as far as I can
see, misc.kids itself is still around. What happened was not a "name
change" at all. It was a split off into two related groups.

That's entirely different.

S.

There was both a name change and a split.

In about 1987, almost every newsgroup in existance at the time changed
its' name. Net.kids changed its' name to misc.kids.

Im about 1994, misc.kids split into several newsgroups.

--
Penny Gaines
usenetting since 1993
Old May 16th 08, 01:44 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
Dizzysmamma

I really don't understand why everyone is feeding this person's
self-importance. Just kf the idiot and forget he/it/they exist. /shrug

Angela

/back to lurk mode

Old May 16th 08, 03:02 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
Tai[_2_]

Dizzysmamma wrote:
I really don't understand why everyone is feeding this person's
self-importance. Just kf the idiot and forget he/it/they exist. /shrug

It's probably fun to have one of those damn spammers who actually talks back
and he's getting spanked for the sins of all his ilk. Mind you, Ed lost me
with his over use of caps, there's only a certain amount of eye-pain I'll
put up with for the entertainment value.

Old May 16th 08, 10:55 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
aula

"Dizzysmamma" wrote in message
I really don't understand why everyone is feeding this person's
self-importance. Just kf the idiot and forget he/it/they exist. /shrug

Angela

Oh but angela! It is more fun to prod them and see how far they are going
to take these specious arguements. Entertainment value alone makes these
threads fascinating reading!

/me offers popcorn and tim tams

Now, if you want to talk about kids......DS is turning 13, has a broken arm
[cast of course], and is going into seventh grade, homeschooled, in the
fall. I'm a crazy woman doing various crafts and life goes on.

/me offers coffee too since it is sunrise in Vermont.

So, who else thinks this is a highly amusing thread and is ready to pull up
a lounge chair with me?

A, fresh from travian

/back to lurk mode

Old May 16th 08, 07:57 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids,alt.mothers
scrumble

Suzanne wrote:
There are a lot of vague references to said charters and "reporting
people for spam", but not one person yet has yet posted a link. Any of
ya actually got one? tick tick tick.... TIME'S UP

Well as you use giganews.com you may as well read the AUP:

Net Etiquette and Abuse

Each newsgroup can be considered as a separate "community", where those
who regularly use the newsgroup have standards for what is appropriate
and what is not. These standards can vary from one group to the next.
Many groups have written charters and FAQs that reflect a consensus of
those who regularly use the newsgroup. You should always read posts in a
newsgroup to learn what is considered appropriate before posting to that
newsgroup. For a listing of charters and FAQs on various subjects, be
sure to check out www.usenetfaqguides.com.

At Giganews, we would like every member to have the best experience
possible with the newsgroups. We do not, however, wish that to be at the
expense of others. The newsgroups are comprised of people from diverse
backgrounds. When communicating with people on the newsgroups, it is
best to keep in mind that there are many other people that read what you
post. Please consider the views and feelings of everyone who might read
your posts and give them the same consideration and respect as you would
like to receive yourself.

# Commercial Posts
Commercial posts are frowned upon in nearly every newsgroup. Most groups
do not welcome contributions from a business or commercial website.
# Promotional Posts
Promoting a business, a website, or an organization will usually be
considered as spam, in nearly every newsgroup. This can even include
inviting visitors to a 'personal', 'public service', or charitable website.

Crossposting
A few binary newsgroups, such as certain music groups, encourage posting
to more than one group at the same time, as long as the content is
appropriate to each newsgroup. The majority of binary groups and almost
all text groups, however, discourage any form of crossposting. Please
consider that a thread in a text group may begin as appropriate to two
newsgroups, but followups may soon become "off topic" in one of the groups

Abuse Reports

Reports of abuse can be sent to

Oh, and look. A handy e-mail link

Every time you cross post, God kills a kitten

--
scrum

(\_/) Procrastinator bunny says:
( . .) "I'll conquer the internets tomorrow"
C(")(")