Does "TV Allowance" work to manage kids' TV time?

Old September 5th 04, 02:32 PM
THW

Default Does "TV Allowance" work to manage kids' TV time?

We're having some trouble keeping our 8- and 11-year old boys from watching
too much TV/Nintendo. In particular, it's difficult for my wife, who has to
work from home some afternoons, to make sure the kids are doing homework
instead of parking themselves in front of the TV.

We've read about a device called "TV Allowance" that gives the kids PIN
codes that lets them watch only a set number of hours/week. In addition,
the TV can be set up to lock out kids completely during certain hours.

We're wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this (or
similar) devices), and if so, did they help solve the problem (or create
even more arguing)? Thanks.

Tom;

Old September 5th 04, 03:51 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"THW" wrote:

We're having some trouble keeping our 8- and 11-year old boys from watching
too much TV/Nintendo. In particular, it's difficult for my wife, who has to
work from home some afternoons, to make sure the kids are doing homework
instead of parking themselves in front of the TV.

We've read about a device called "TV Allowance" that gives the kids PIN
codes that lets them watch only a set number of hours/week. In addition,
the TV can be set up to lock out kids completely during certain hours.

We're wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this (or
similar) devices), and if so, did they help solve the problem (or create
even more arguing)? Thanks.

Tom;

We found an outlet lock when the kids were small and the TV was on a
different floor from the kitchen, so it was harder for me to monnitor.
The TV plugged into it (in a locked box) and the box plugged into an
outlet, and it took a key to turn the power on. They could therefore
only watch with my permission.

(My brother was appalled that they'd even CONSIDER turning it on when
they weren't supposed to, since his son would not have done that. My
kids were a little more willing to do whatever they thought they could
get away with.)

I don't remember where we got it, unfortunately.

Old September 5th 04, 04:14 PM
Sue

"THW" wrote in message
We're having some trouble keeping our 8- and 11-year old boys from

watching
too much TV/Nintendo. In particular, it's difficult for my wife, who has

work from home some afternoons, to make sure the kids are doing homework
instead of parking themselves in front of the TV.

I work at home also and sometimes it is hard to not have the TV on when you
are trying to get something done. However, I haven't had a problem saying
turn the TV of and go do something else. The girls have listened to me. Our
new rule since school has started is that there is no TV until their
homework is done and there is no TV in the morning until they are all ready.
So far, the girls have complied and it hasn't been a problem yet. I don't
feel that I have to put any locks on the TV or do anything special other
than tell them they have to do something else.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old September 5th 04, 06:19 PM
Marijke

I work from home, I tell them no, you can't watch tv and that's the end of
it.

Marijke
in Montreal

Old September 5th 04, 07:55 PM
Bruce Bridgman and Jeanne Yang

"THW" wrote in message
We're having some trouble keeping our 8- and 11-year old boys from

watching
too much TV/Nintendo. In particular, it's difficult for my wife, who has

work from home some afternoons, to make sure the kids are doing homework
instead of parking themselves in front of the TV.

We've read about a device called "TV Allowance" that gives the kids PIN
codes that lets them watch only a set number of hours/week. In addition,
the TV can be set up to lock out kids completely during certain hours.

We're wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this (or
similar) devices), and if so, did they help solve the problem (or create
even more arguing)? Thanks.

Right now, DD isn't allowed to watch TV in the mornings unless we for some
reason have loads of time and her backpack and lunch are packed; she's
dressed and shod; and everyone had breakfast. In the afternoons, she has to
do her homework (all 5 minutes of it, right now) and her worksheets (another
10 minutes) before she can watch. She listens.

When I was growing up, I remember one girl whose parents would literally
lock away the TV during the school year. Absolutely no TV except when the
kids had to watch some National Geographic special for school. And I grew
up with no TV on weeknights except during the news (and then I didn't want
to watch because the news would show war reports in Vietnam, Ireland, and
Lebanon).

So far, no problems.

Jeanne

Old September 5th 04, 09:24 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Marijke" wrote:

I work from home, I tell them no, you can't watch tv and that's the end of
it.

Marijke
in Montreal

Not all kids are that compliant.

In my case, once the kids figured out that, if they turned the TV on, it
could be a while before I'd realize it was on (I couldn't hear it from
the upstairs), they'd try to sneak it on more and more often. And
rather than running up and down the stairs frequently, I just made
non-compliance impossible.

Old September 6th 04, 01:35 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Ms Pnoopie Pnats wrote:

In article , clemmm78
@hotmail.com says...
I work from home, I tell them no, you can't watch tv and that's the end of
it.

Marijke
in Montreal

I agree. Just say no and enforce it. If you catch them sneaking it on
give them more consequences. You don't need to buy anything. Just say
no.

I promise to spank the plank daily.

I guess I viewed it more like preventative maintenance.

Since it got to be a regular problem, with escalating consequences, I
prevented it from being turned on at all -- with the ultimate
consequence that they had almost NO TV time, since they could only watch
it when I had time to come down with the key and sit and watch with them.

They knew that the lock-out had been a direct result of their refusal to
comply with only watching with permission.

Just say no doesn't work well with all kids -- and why turn EVERYTHING
into a fight if you can set things up to prevent it?

I think I view your approach as simlar to people who refuse to
toddler-proof their house at ALL, preferring to be constantly stopping
their kids from touching fragile things. It may work, ultimately, to
teach the kids to behave -- but I think in the long run the kids learn
the same things, but with less hassle.

Old September 6th 04, 02:42 AM
teacherDeb

"THW" wrote in message ...
We're having some trouble keeping our 8- and 11-year old boys from watching
too much TV/Nintendo. In particular, it's difficult for my wife, who has to
work from home some afternoons, to make sure the kids are doing homework
instead of parking themselves in front of the TV.

We've read about a device called "TV Allowance" that gives the kids PIN
codes that lets them watch only a set number of hours/week. In addition,
the TV can be set up to lock out kids completely during certain hours.

We're wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this (or
similar) devices), and if so, did they help solve the problem (or create
even more arguing)? Thanks.

Tom;

Tom- In an attempt to try to get this question answered, I have
cross-posted on misc.kids.computer to see if anyone there has heard
about it. I have not, but would love to hear if it is effective, or
if anyone has other suggestions.
Old September 6th 04, 02:44 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
Ms Pnoopie Pnats wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Ms Pnoopie Pnats wrote:

In article , clemmm78
@hotmail.com says...
[...]

I toddler proofed my house. If you want to get the tv thing, get it but
what do you think parents did before the lock out devices existed.

Mostly, the folks I knew lived in houses where the TV was on the same
floor as the kitchen and the rest of the living space, so the kids (and
TV) were easier to supervise. I wish I'd had that option, but the house
we were in that wasn't possible.

There were also far fewer TV stations, and so fewer ways for the kids to
get in trouble with TV.

Old September 6th 04, 11:02 AM
Mary Ann Tuli

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
Ms Pnoopie Pnats wrote:

In article , clemmm78
says...

[...]

Because to me, if my 8 and 11 year old failed to obey the rules in the
home regarding such an issue, I think it shows a lack of respect. I'd
worry about what they got up to when I was not there.

I think I view your approach as simlar to people who refuse to
toddler-proof their house at ALL, preferring to be constantly stopping
their kids from touching fragile things.

Toddler proofing to me is about keeping a child *who does not yet know
the rules and boundries* safe. Yes, there is a certain amount of making
your life easier, but whereas a toddler may be willful and defiant, to
me this is a normal part of that phase. An 8 year old and 11 year old
know the rules.

It may work, ultimately, to
teach the kids to behave -- but I think in the long run the kids learn
the same things, but with less hassle.

Not really. You take away the element of them making the decision to behave.

Mary Ann