Inappropriate Teacher's Dress

Old June 19th 05, 01:01 PM
toto

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:40:27 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

Uhmmm...have you HEARD of nude daycare ??? What's up with these WAY OUT
extreme hypotheticals?

As I've said repeatedly, it was only to point out that pretty
much everyone has a line they wouldn't want their DCPs to
cross.

LOL. You guys never saw *Auntie Mame?*

I don't remember the name of the school... but it was a
*nudist* school and Mame enrolled Patrick in it because
she wanted him to have a *well-rounded* education.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old June 19th 05, 01:19 PM
Jeanne

bizby40 wrote:
"Jeanne" wrote in message

I suggested switching daycares because that seemed to me a reasonable
solution. If I'm unhappy with the workers for whatever reason (and
inappropriate dress is a valid reason) I don't think an individual
customer should be able to force a dress code. But as an individual
customer I can take my business elsewhere.

I do think that an individual customer should voice their concerns
though.

And she did voice her concern on dress. But she didn't get the response
she wanted - the director did nothing. It is at *that point* that I
suggest she may want to consider if the dress is an important enough
issue to switch daycare.

It may be that 5 other individual customers voice the same
concerns and then something is done.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Jeanne

Old June 19th 05, 01:48 PM
bizby40

"Jeanne" wrote in message
bizby40 wrote:
"Jeanne" wrote in message

I suggested switching daycares because that seemed to me a reasonable
solution. If I'm unhappy with the workers for whatever reason (and
inappropriate dress is a valid reason) I don't think an individual
customer should be able to force a dress code. But as an individual
customer I can take my business elsewhere.

I do think that an individual customer should voice their concerns
though.

And she did voice her concern on dress. But she didn't get the response
she wanted - the director did nothing. It is at *that point* that I
suggest she may want to consider if the dress is an important enough issue
to switch daycare.

I don't disagree with that.

Bizby

Old June 19th 05, 03:41 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:48:17 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

Barbara Bomberger wrote:

But the OPs objection was to the style, not to the function. And
wearing a shirt short enough to show a belly button does NOT mean that
when you stretch your hands up, you automatically show everything.

Goodness, if it did, I would be in trouble, as I dress on the "liberal
side" I guess. And I'm an old woman.

Personally, I was more worried about the other end of
the skirt. It is difficult for me to imagine anything I'd call
a mini skirt that would permit a teacher to be down on the floor
playing with kids without being inappropriate.

Yes, you definitely have a point with that one. I do see a difficulty
with true interaciton with the kids unless the skirt is a "skort" or
culottes.
I also don't get the resistance to the notion that it is
appropriate to have some dress standards for preschool teachers.
The dress code for much of the professional world is *much* more
strict than it is for preschoolers, and believe me, looking at
it from the perspective of *running* a preschool, I'm *quite*
well aware that if we had teachers dressed in mini skirts, not
only would it be an indication that the teachers weren't doing
their job as expected, but we'd be getting plenty of phone calls
from irate parents. For every parent who's cool with midriff
baring tops, low cut pants, and mini skirts, there'll be another
who isn't keen on that role model for her preschool-aged daughter
(or son). I can't afford to run a preschool where half the
parents are ****ed off over teachers' attire.

True. And in th is case, I expect, if its true that half the parents
are upset, then the kids will be directed to change their attire.

barb

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old June 19th 05, 03:43 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:21:20 GMT, Nan wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:15:23 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

More importantly, though, I don't think you even have
to revert to much of a morality argument here. It's a job
requirement to get down on the floor and play with the kids.
If you can't do that in what you're wearing, it doesn't
really matter whether someone finds it too revealing. I.e.,
if it were just about a neckline that was too low or something
like that, it might be a somewhat different issue. I know that
clothing most would consider somewhat risqué also would not be
allowed at our preschool, as staff are expected to dress
comfortably and casually, but professionally, but clothing
that isn't suitable to performing primary job tasks isn't
even a close call.

Well, I agree that clothing suited to physical requirements is a Good
Thing. However, I have to laugh at the number of posts saying part of
the job *requirement* is to get on the floor and play. AFAIK, it's
not a requirement of DD5s preschool teachers *or* the Stay and Play
staff. They *might* decide to crawl around and play outside, but it
certainly isn't "required", and I don't think I ever saw any of the
teachers or DC gals doing so.

It certainly CAN be a requirement in an infant and toddler room. with
older children, the emphasis is more on walking around and being aware
of where the children are. But when I am in the baby room, I certainly
bend to the ground, sit to the ground, and so on.

I also regularly get forumla spiton me, so my attire in those rooms is
casual in the extreme.

Nan

Old June 19th 05, 03:45 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:29:44 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

"Nan" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 15:07:23 -0400, "bizby40"
wrote:

something as frivolous as dress. I contend that if your DCPs
crossed *your* personal line of what is appropriate, whatever
that might be, that you would then feel that the matter of dress
was more important.

You insult too easily, then.
Because *I* pay more attention to the standard of care, not how
someone is dressed.
If the OP is unhappy with the standard of care, she's not mentioning
it. If the clothing is her only gripe, I do feel that is trivial in
the Big Picture, considering the "teachers" aren't performing ritual
sacrifices naked.

Re-read what I said. The OP probably didn't consider how they
dressed to be important until they crossed the line of her comfort
level. Just because your line is at a different place than hers, does
not mean that she places more emphasis on clothing than on care.
If the staff at your DCP began wearing clothing that for whatever
reason crossed out of *your* comfort zone, then you would
likely complain about that, even if the level of care remained the
same.

In my case the answer is probably no. There are alot of clothing items
for young people that are out of my comfort zone. Lord knows my mini
skirt and go go boots were probably out of my parents comfort zone.

But unless you are talking about nudity or pornography, or wearing
clothing with swear words or so on, I am willing to expand my comfort
zone, dependent on my childrens care and my children's
relationshipwith the teacher.provider.

Bizby

Old June 19th 05, 04:33 PM
Anonymama

enigma wrote:

so, you want all your daycare providers/teachers dressed like
this?
http://www.plainlydressed.com/

Heh. One of their outfits is made out of "Traditional Swedish Knit
Polyester."
Old June 19th 05, 04:41 PM
Nan

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 01:41:19 -0400, Ericka Kammerer
wrote:

While our 2yo teachers spend more time on the floor than
our 3yo or 4yo teachers, all of them are down there occasionally
for circle time, doing floor puzzles, sitting with a child in
their laps, building block towers, and all sorts of other things.
I think one of the hallmarks of a good preschool is teachers who
are down on the children's level, rather than directing from on high.
I seem to recall something in the NAEYC standards describing this
as desirable behavior as well.

Oh, I agree that it's desirable behavior. I'm just saying I don't
think it's *required* behavior.
E's teacher most likely did get on the floor with the children on
occasion. However, her classroom was quite small and space was mainly
taken up by the tables and chairs for the kids.
I did see her sitting at the table in those terribly tiny chairs quite
a bit ;-)

Nan
Old June 19th 05, 05:25 PM
enigma

Anonymama wrote in
:

enigma wrote:

so, you want all your daycare providers/teachers dressed
like
this?
http://www.plainlydressed.com/

Heh. One of their outfits is made out of "Traditional
Swedish Knit Polyester."

obviously they have enough Englitch neighbors who allow
borrowing of computers to make online advertising worthwhile.
it's still kind of weird to me though. i could see why
Lehman's was online, as they sell to disaffected city folk &
back-to-the-landers, but the clothing site amused & confused
me. depressing to see all the poly/cotton stuff though.
lee

--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Old June 19th 05, 05:34 PM
Anonymama

enigma wrote:

Anonymama wrote in
:

enigma wrote:

so, you want all your daycare providers/teachers dressed
like
this?
http://www.plainlydressed.com/

Heh. One of their outfits is made out of "Traditional
Swedish Knit Polyester."

obviously they have enough Englitch neighbors who allow
borrowing of computers to make online advertising worthwhile.

Might they be Englitch themselves? I don't see that they eschew modern
technology themselves, even though some of their clients might.