Worried about DD

Old October 30th 05, 07:14 AM
CY

Default Worried about DD

My DD is 3.5 years old and still nursing twice a day. Her brother is 5
months and nursing a lot more, so obviously my milk is copious right now.

Recently, as she went to the bathroom to pee, she screamed in pain. I took
her to the ped that day and they found blood, protein and extra white blood
cells in her urine. They treated her for a UTI, but when the lab results
came back, they showed negative for a UTI. They repeated the urinalysis
with first morning urine, and the blood etc. was gone. This was after she'd
been on antibiotics for a week. Doctor assumed that she must have had some
irritation on the outside and said nothing more to worry about.

Today, however, the front of her underwear was pink. Looks like a
blood/urine mix to me. Do you suppose this could be my hormones making her
have some kind of vaginal spotting, and not related to her urine at all??
I'm so worried about it. What do you suppose could be causing this? I'm
going to take her back to the ped on Monday, but in the meantime, I'd like
some reassurance or knowledge or SOMETHING!

Thanks!

CY

Old October 30th 05, 08:54 AM
Cocoamum

CY skrev:
[...]

Some UTI is not from bacteria. If she's been touching a lot it can come
from pure irritation.

Tine
Old October 30th 05, 11:46 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Tine writes:

T Some UTI is not from bacteria. If she's been touching a lot it can come
T from pure irritation.

Well, technically no - the I in UTI stands for infection. The symptoms
could be caused by external irritation, I suppose. IANAMD, but it seems a
little unlikely given the blood, leucocyte and protein positive. Lab
results aren't 100% reliable, so a lab negative doesn't necessarily prove
she didn't have a UTI. I doubt that your hormones have anything to do with
it - they wouldn't cause the original pain etc., by any mechanism I can
think of. I'm not sure why you would even consider this option, actually -
given that she tested positive for blood in urine before, surely the
overwhelmingly most likely conclusion is that it's blood in her urine
again? Obviously, she needs to go back to the doctor straight away. Hope
it's something simply to cure.

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old October 30th 05, 01:16 PM
Sue

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message

IANAMD, but it seems a little unlikely given the blood, leucocyte and
protein positive.

What is IANAMD?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 30th 05, 02:57 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Sue writes:

What is IANAMD?

I Am Not A Medical Doctor

Sidheag
DS Colin Oct 27 2003

Old October 30th 05, 04:28 PM
CY

Well, I thought that if there was blood coming from the vagina, surely it
could enter the urine stream duing the catch, no?

Old October 30th 05, 04:42 PM
Jess

"CY" wrote in message
[...]

*Hugs*

Did he check her kidneys?

Jess

Old October 30th 05, 04:59 PM
CY

No, that was the next step if the repeat labs has shown anything...but
since they were negative for anything they didn't follow up. Why would they
be positive once and negatie the second time though??

Old October 30th 05, 05:05 PM
Sue

"CY" wrote in message
Well, I thought that if there was blood coming from the vagina, surely it
could enter the urine stream duing the catch, no?

Not necessairly. She could be irritated around the vaginal area and that
caused the underwear to be pink. Is she scratching the area at all? She
might have a yeast infection and it itches. Needless to say, another trip to
the doctor might be in order.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 30th 05, 05:07 PM
Sue

"CY" wrote in message
No, that was the next step if the repeat labs has shown anything...but
since they were negative for anything they didn't follow up. Why would
they be positive once and negatie the second time though??

Lab error? It defintely sounds plausible to me. DD1 has had some blood and
protein in her urine. It is caused from the kidneys. Have it checked out
again.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

HELP I am worried bookers Pregnancy 8 March 15th 05 01:11 AM
Worried about little movement Sophie Pregnancy 39 June 18th 04 05:57 PM
Foster parent worried cuts at Family Continuity will hurt kids wexwimpy Foster Parents 1 February 23rd 04 01:25 PM
Worried about daughter...please respond Kathy Breastfeeding 9 October 4th 03 03:54 AM
i'm much worried javalearner Breastfeeding 5 July 22nd 03 05:33 PM