speaking of homeschooling...

Old October 13th 03, 02:44 PM
Hillary Israeli

Default speaking of homeschooling...

I am not sure if it was in this newsgroup, but somewhere recently I was
reading a discussion about homeschooling and what sorts of things fall
under that definition. Serendipitiously the subject of homeschooling also
came up when I was talking to some colleagues the other day about
funny/silly/stupid things clients ask their veterinarians (you know "we're
planning to breed her - can you show me where the puppies will come out?"
or "can you sedate my dog so I can paint her toenails to match her
bridesmaid dress for my wedding?" and someone told me that last week, a
client came in with her four year old son present during her dog's
well-dog visit, and stated "I'm homeschooling my son, can you teach him
everything you know, please?" Um, ok....sure. That will easily fit into a
20 minute well-dog checkup and should be no problem for a four year old to
understand. Noooooo problem.

I just thought that was pretty funny.

Old October 13th 03, 07:36 PM
Sara

Hillary Israeli wrote:

...someone told me that last week, a
client came in with her four year old son present during her dog's
well-dog visit, and stated "I'm homeschooling my son, can you teach him
everything you know, please?" Um, ok....sure. That will easily fit into a
20 minute well-dog checkup and should be no problem for a four year old to
understand. Noooooo problem.

I just thought that was pretty funny.

Now, to be fair, I'm sure she meant to say "everything you know _about
veterinary science_."

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle
Old October 13th 03, 09:40 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Sara wrote:

*Hillary Israeli wrote:
*
* ...someone told me that last week, a
* client came in with her four year old son present during her dog's
* well-dog visit, and stated "I'm homeschooling my son, can you teach him
* everything you know, please?" Um, ok....sure. That will easily fit into a
* 20 minute well-dog checkup and should be no problem for a four year old to
* understand. Noooooo problem.
*
* I just thought that was pretty funny.
*
*Now, to be fair, I'm sure she meant to say "everything you know _about
*veterinary science_."

Ok....but you know, somehow I do not think that that would fit into a 20
minute checkup either.

Old October 13th 03, 10:11 PM
H Schinske

*Now, to be fair, I'm sure she meant to say "everything you know _about
*veterinary science_."

Ok....but you know, somehow I do not think that that would fit into a 20
minute checkup either.

I dunno, I think you should have started reciting the most involved bit of
biochemistry you could remember off the top of your head.

--Helen
Old October 13th 03, 10:35 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
H Schinske wrote:

**Now, to be fair, I'm sure she meant to say "everything you know _about
**veterinary science_."
*
*Ok....but you know, somehow I do not think that that would fit into a 20
*minute checkup either.
*
*I dunno, I think you should have started reciting the most involved bit of
*biochemistry you could remember off the top of your head.

I was thinking it might have been appropriate to start singing the
cholesterol synthesis song! It's to the tune of jingle bells and it
starts:

You take an acetate
Condense it with a mate
And pretty soon you have
Acetoacetate
Let'em have a ball
You get geraniol
Add another isoprene
And you get farnesol

There is more but it is pretty off topic here

Old October 14th 03, 07:45 PM
JennP

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,

*Now, to be fair, I'm sure she meant to say "everything you know _about
*veterinary science_."

Ok....but you know, somehow I do not think that that would fit into a 20
minute checkup either.

Never mind those 20 minutes should be spent examining their animal instead
of educating their kid. Like your time isn't worth $$.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 14th 03, 10:17 PM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes
"JennP" wrote:
"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,

*Now, to be fair, I'm sure she meant to say "everything you know _about
*veterinary science_."

Ok....but you know, somehow I do not think that that would fit into a 20
minute checkup either.

Never mind those 20 minutes should be spent examining their animal instead
of educating their kid. Like your time isn't worth $$.

It occurred to me that if that ever happens in the future maybe you
should have a price scale like I've heard of plumbers doing. X$/hour
for the service and 2X$/hour if the homeowner 'helps'. So X$ for 20
minute checkup and X$ + Y for beginning vet school for a homeschooler.

grandma Rosalie
Old October 14th 03, 10:43 PM
just me

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
It occurred to me that if that ever happens in the future maybe you
should have a price scale like I've heard of plumbers doing. X$/hour
for the service and 2X$/hour if the homeowner 'helps'. So X$ for 20
minute checkup and X$ + Y for beginning vet school for a homeschooler.

I thought the OP was funny. I am quite surprised that people think it is
asking any professional too much to at least explain what they are doing as
they are doing it and why they are doing it to *anyone* who is present for
the event, be it the dog owner, the child along to observe, or the patient
in the doctor's office. That seems to me to be an appropriate and rather
important part of the job, unless you don't really want the people present
to understand and give their greatest degree of cooperation. Certainly,
requesting that a professional give a dissertation on everything they are
trained to do is not appropriate, but explaining the procedure takes just a
few more moments and may buy a life time of understanding, cooperation and
perhaps good preventative care measures. But, then again, YMMV.

-Aula

Old October 14th 03, 11:06 PM
Donna Metler

"just me" aula@no spam.rr.com wrote in message
m...

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
[...]

I think it isn't the "please explain what you're doing" but the request to
"Please teach him everything you know"-while doing the appointment! This is
rather like the parents who expect their child to be playing Mozart after
their first music lesson-and believe me, I get them!

-Aula