speaking of homeschooling...

Old October 14th 03, 11:46 PM
just me

Default speaking of homeschooling...

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
I think it isn't the "please explain what you're doing" but the request to
"Please teach him everything you know"-while doing the appointment! This

is
rather like the parents who expect their child to be playing Mozart after
their first music lesson-and believe me, I get them!

I agree with your sentiment. I was reading some recent posts, however,
where it appeared that any questions or discussion with the child [or, by
extension anyone present] should be charged extra for or were otherwise not
appropriate. That is what i was reacting to. The OP was humerous simply
because the request was so clearly inappropriate.

-Aula

Old October 15th 03, 02:35 AM
JennP

"Donna Metler" wrote in message

I think it isn't the "please explain what you're doing" but the request to
"Please teach him everything you know"-while doing the appointment! This

is
rather like the parents who expect their child to be playing Mozart after
their first music lesson-and believe me, I get them!

Exactly. FWIW, I thought the OP was pretty funny myself.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 15th 03, 02:39 AM
JennP

"just me" aula@no spam.rr.com wrote in message
m...

I agree with your sentiment. I was reading some recent posts, however,
where it appeared that any questions or discussion with the child [or, by
extension anyone present] should be charged extra for or were otherwise

not
appropriate. That is what i was reacting to. The OP was humerous simply
because the request was so clearly inappropriate.

Well, I'm the one who made that comment about charging extra. FWIW, I
thought the OP was funny also, but it was the "teach him everything you
know" that made me make that comment. Not discussions or extentions of what
was happening in the office.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 15th 03, 02:53 AM
just me

"JennP" wrote in message
Well, I'm the one who made that comment about charging extra. FWIW, I
thought the OP was funny also, but it was the "teach him everything you
know" that made me make that comment. Not discussions or extentions of

what
was happening in the office.

Thank you for clairifying that. Sometimes the written media is a rather
imperfect communication piece, iykwim. And, who knows, maybe the time of
day I read the responses wasn't the best either, having just come in from a
long day at the daily grind!

-Aula

Old October 15th 03, 06:11 AM
H Schinske

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
I think it isn't the "please explain what you're doing" but the request to
"Please teach him everything you know"-while doing the appointment! This

is
rather like the parents who expect their child to be playing Mozart after
their first music lesson-and believe me, I get them!

Well, if you count "Twinkle, Twinkle," many of them are! ;-)

--Helen
Old October 15th 03, 12:03 PM
Donna Metler

"H Schinske" wrote in message

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
I think it isn't the "please explain what you're doing" but the request

"Please teach him everything you know"-while doing the appointment!

This
is
rather like the parents who expect their child to be playing Mozart

after
their first music lesson-and believe me, I get them!

Well, if you count "Twinkle, Twinkle," many of them are! ;-)

Not after the first lesson-that takes at least a few weeks. First lesson is
more like "Screech (or honk)", correct hand position and embouchure,
"Screech/honk" etc. One advantage of piano-it usually doesn't sound bad on
individual notes!

Besides, the melody isn't Mozart-he simply did an arrangement of it.

--Helen

Old October 15th 03, 07:04 PM
H Schinske

Donna ) wrote:

Besides, the melody isn't Mozart-he simply did an arrangement of it.

Oh, I know. I was just joshing. My kids were in a music museum once and a nice
man taught them to play Twinkle, twinkle little star on the cello in about five
minutes. That's pretty much what I was thinking of.

My daughters have now started violin and trumpet, and both of them are working
on the first three or four notes. It's especially hard on the trumpet because
of having to figure out what note you're starting with. I am developing a new
respect for brass players. And no, neither of them has gotten to Twinkle,
twinkle yet.

On the bright side, the practicing isn't nearly as horrible to listen to as I
was fearing.

--Helen
Old October 15th 03, 10:17 PM
Donna Metler

"H Schinske" wrote in message
Donna ) wrote:

[...]

I teach winds, and we've been on the first 5 notes for what seems like
forever in beginning band-and if you think one trumpet practicing is
annoying, try 36 beginning band students at once! Oh, my aching head!

Old October 15th 03, 10:23 PM
H Schinske

Donna ) wrote:

I teach winds, and we've been on the first 5 notes for what seems like
forever in beginning band

I will tell my daughter this. She is feeling frustrated at not getting further,
having missed one lesson due to a field trip or something. "I'm only on page
five and everyone else is on page niiiiiine!" I told her this is the way music
is, it feels as if you were making no progress for a while, then your muscles
suddenly get it and you can do something new.

--Helen
Old October 15th 03, 11:52 PM
Sue

Default learning musical instruments

On the bright side, the practicing isn't nearly as horrible to listen to
as I
was fearing.

--Helen

Not as bad as the violin my husband is learning (yeeek) and the clarinet my
daughter is learning. Although dd1 is doing semi okay on the clarinet. I'm
just tired of the same notes, lol.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)