speaking of homeschooling...

Old October 16th 03, 01:44 AM
Donna Metler

Default speaking of homeschooling...

"H Schinske" wrote in message
Donna ) wrote:

I teach winds, and we've been on the first 5 notes for what seems like
forever in beginning band

I will tell my daughter this. She is feeling frustrated at not getting

further,
having missed one lesson due to a field trip or something. "I'm only on

page
five and everyone else is on page niiiiiine!" I told her this is the way

music
is, it feels as if you were making no progress for a while, then your

muscles
suddenly get it and you can do something new.

One of my current projects is a set of Orff-based beginning band activities
which use only a limited note range in the student parts, to give more
interest than the beginning band books have-it hardly makes sense that there
are wonderful two and three note songs for recorder, but beginning band
students have to struggle along for most of the first semester before they
get to play anything which even sounds much like music. So far, it seems
successful with my students. Besides, it means that the kids are developing
better rhythmic reading skills, articulation, and musicality early on, which
hopefully will pay off later.

--Helen

Old October 16th 03, 01:42 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
just me wrote:

*I thought the OP was funny. I am quite surprised that people think it is
*asking any professional too much to at least explain what they are doing as
*they are doing it and why they are doing it to *anyone* who is present for
*the event, be it the dog owner, the child along to observe, or the patient
*in the doctor's office. That seems to me to be an appropriate and rather

Oh, I certainly think it is important to explain what I'm doing - which is
why, when I'm done my history-taking, my chatter is along the lines of
"now I'm looking for any growths or infections in the mouth; now I'm
feeling his lymph nodes, which you might call glands; now I'm feeling his
liver and intestines; ok, now I'm going to listen to his heart and
lungs..." and then after the exam I say stuff like "the heart and lungs
sounded normal, no signs of heart failure or lung disease; his belly was
soft and nonpainful with no enlarged or shrunken organs palpated..." etc
etc. Also one of my favorite things to do if kids come to the office call
is to take an ear smear or skin scraping, and if there are any mites or
budding yeast or anything, show the kid. They love that. But "teach him
everything I know," um, no.

Old October 16th 03, 10:26 PM
just me

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
Oh, I certainly think it is important to explain what I'm doing - which is
why, when I'm done my history-taking, my chatter is along the lines of
"now I'm looking for any growths or infections in the mouth; now I'm
feeling his lymph nodes, which you might call glands; now I'm feeling his
liver and intestines; ok, now I'm going to listen to his heart and
lungs..." and then after the exam I say stuff like "the heart and lungs
sounded normal, no signs of heart failure or lung disease; his belly was
soft and nonpainful with no enlarged or shrunken organs palpated..." etc
etc. Also one of my favorite things to do if kids come to the office call
is to take an ear smear or skin scraping, and if there are any mites or
budding yeast or anything, show the kid. They love that. But "teach him
everything I know," um, no.

You sound like the kind of vet [or any professional] whom I'd value having
my DS interact with in situations like you describe. I'll bet you are one
patient person in most circumstances!

-Aula
--
see my creative works on ebay under aulame 123