6 mo dental visits

Old April 3rd 05, 02:29 PM
00doc

Default 6 mo dental visits

I'm sorry of this sounds like a troll - it isn't.

When I was a kid the dentist wanted to see us once a year.
Now they all seem to say to come in every 6 months. Is this
recommendation based on some studies, clinical observations,
just a vogue, or what?

Similar question for the x-rays - are there studies
suggesting an optimal frequency (or if they add anything to
the exam at all?

And about that mercury in the amalgams...... (just kidding)

Thanks in advance

--
00doc

Old April 3rd 05, 03:30 PM
Joel M. Eichen

"00doc" wrote in message
I'm sorry of this sounds like a troll - it isn't.

When I was a kid the dentist wanted to see us once a year.
Now they all seem to say to come in every 6 months. Is this
recommendation based on some studies, clinical observations,
just a vogue, or what?

R E P L Y

The original twice a year thing was an outcrop of the Pepsodent commercial,
brush twice a day and see your dentist twice a year! Not a bad idea though.

Similar question for the x-rays - are there studies
suggesting an optimal frequency (or if they add anything to
the exam at all?

R E P L Y

Well, a hidden cavity can cost thousands if it is missed and causes root
canal problems so a few x-rays are deemed worthwhile.

And about that mercury in the amalgams...... (just kidding)

R E P L Y

No need to worry unless you like break dancing ......... its almost
impossible after being poisoned with amalgamitis.

Joel

Thanks in advance

--
00doc

Old April 3rd 05, 04:11 PM
Queenie

Hi
after 6 month, the normal bacteria in your mouth become bad. By this time,
the begin to attack your gum and bone underneath. this is why the dental
care professionals recommend a 6 month recall.

there is no fixed interval for radiographs. however, 2 bitewings are
recommended once a year in most offices.

as for amalgam, if u wanted some info while u were just kidding. look at the
amalgam faq on the Canadian Dental Association website.