Similac Advance Foam - Dr. Browns/ Ventaire

Old January 22nd 04, 03:44 PM
Andrea

Default Similac Advance Foam - Dr. Browns/ Ventaire

I was wondering if anyone was using Similac Advance Powder and had any
advice for the foam that bubble up after shaking. It's so much foam!
I've been breastfeeding for the last six weeks but due to medical
reasons I have decided to formula feed now. I've had a hard time with
the formulas. It seems my little girl is very colicy/gassy. She
screams through every meal. I tried Enfamil but she seemed so gassy
all the time. We just started Similac last night and she slept! I
couldn't believe it. I was having to fall asleep with her sitting up
so she could rest.

My second question is regarding bottles. Is anyone using Dr. Brown's
and noticed a difference. They are ok. I just don't like all the
parts. I haven't noticed much other than she really likes the nipple
best. I've tried Avent and that didn't work, also Playtex disposables
and she didn't like the nipple. I was reading other listings and
people seem to like the Playtex Ventaire. I tried it and it's pretty
good. I just noticed she gets alot of formula running down her. I
thought it was leaking. Then I read about the nipple collapsing. What
do ya'll mean about "collapsing"? Can anyone explain that to me??
Old January 22nd 04, 07:24 PM
Sue

I didn't use Similac, but I did use Enfamil powder. It's probably because it
is an advanced powder and that you are shaking it that it bubbles so much.
When I was using formula I wouldn't make it a bottle at a time, I would make
a jug full and stir it and make up bottles for two days. I'm sure she is so
gassy right now as her digestive system is trying to get used to the new
milk. Remember her digestive system is not mature yet and you still will
need to burp her really good. Formula isn't as digestable as the breastmilk
was, so she may be more gassy.

I have heard of Dr. Brown's bottles, but sorry I don't know what they look
like. I just used regular Gerber plastic bottles and nipples. But, when they
say the nipple collapses, they mean that the nipple gets suck down into the
plastic ring or that she is sucking so hard that the sides pull into each
other, if that makes sense. I'm not sure how to stop it from running down
her though.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

om...

Old January 22nd 04, 10:26 PM
calliaz

Andrea wrote:

[...]

It might be the DHA/ARA in the "Advance" causing the
problems. I noticed that the additives really did a number
on my son's stomach causing horrible gas. Try just the
plain formula and see if that helps.

This website has some information (but it is a bit biased):
http://www.naba-breastfeeding.org/im...%20article.pdf

Jennifer in AZ
Old January 23rd 04, 12:53 AM
AnnaS

I've heard that you can just add a couple drops of infant simethicone
drops to the bottle to eliminate the foam.

Anna

Old January 24th 04, 01:05 AM
Andrea

calliaz wrote in message ...
Andrea wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link. It was good info I think I'll ask the Dr. about
it and see what they say. I've noticed that when I tell them I'm only
Bfeeding for 6 weeks I get a lecture and they don't really answer my
questions about formula. They just get sidetracked I guess. I wish I
could continue but....anyway, I got some Similac ready to feed today
and that worked out pretty good. I had a C-section and was on pain
killers and I noticed that she was really fussy and gassy when she got
my milk while I was taking the meds. She seems much better. Since we
have been on formula the last 3 nights have been wonderful. I pump and
give her a bottle of my milk as much as possible but since that won't
be around forever I just need to get her on something that will work.
Thanks again!