36 weeks and people's reactions

Old March 13th 04, 09:11 AM
melbgal1

Default 36 weeks and people's reactions

Went to a Race Day today. It was sponsored by my company ( an annual
family day ) with a marqyee and spit roast and salads and pony rides for
the kids and etc.

So of course, my belly gains much attraction, but when people find out
i'm "due" in 4weeks ?
*Horror*

"Are you sure you don't want my seat"
"Are you feeling ok, do you need to sit down, can I get you a drink ?"
"It could happen any minute now, you sure are brave coming out today "
( ??????)
"Are you *sure* you're feeling ok ?"

So i'm looking and feeling as well as ever, and even suggesting to
people that I think the baby's pretty happy inside and will probably go
over anyway,,,, blah blah blah .... but anyway, no-one would believe how
blase' I was ( denial ? and not-at-all anxious.

I just found it funny. I do feel as far away from B-Day as I did all
those months ago at conception, so maybe it is me that has the problem,
roaming around the countryside without my Obs/Gyn in tow

--
Baby, I can't wait to meet you !
EDD: 10-Apr-2004
Old March 13th 04, 11:36 AM
Karen

I know what you mean. I'm coming up on 34 weeks, and while I am slowing
down a bit, not expecting too much of myself in the way of daily
accomplishments, people are starting to drive me crazy.

I am perfectly healthy, have had no complications or problems of any
sort, was riding a bike regularly until two weeks ago, have been taking
prenatal yoga weekly since 1st trimester... But goodness forbid I should
stand up for a while in the company of other women! "Oh, by the time I
was that big with my child I could barely move!" "Are you sure you don't
want to sit down?" etc. For me, I have found physical activity to be
what has kept me feeling so well, and I am really annoyed that I just
couldn't continue riding my bike any longer. While I do get tired and
need to rest or nap, for the most part I am happier to be up and moving.

And goodness forbid I should bend over to pick up something off the
floor! I was shopping with a girlfriend and we were practically knocking
heads bending over to pick up something I dropped. I practically argued
with MIL the other day, who has frequent and numerous physical
complaints and maladies. Something dropped on the floor nearer to me,
she would have had to squeeze by my monstrously huge stomach to get it,
I finally said to her, "Have YOU been taking yoga for the past seven
months?!"

That being said, what is starting to concern me is how big I am already
at 34 weeks. The women at preschool today were commenting that I look
like I am "ready" and "done," and not usually being one to feel
impatient and want the baby out already, I am having a hard time getting
my mind around the idea that I am NOT ready, not done, and have
theoretically 6 more weeks, give or take, to put the finishing touches
on this baby!

I am carrying quite low, the baby has turned, and is occasionally
putting it's head into the pelvis already, which worries me that either
it is getting ready to come out too early or that I will spend the next
six weeks in excruciating discomfort with the baby's head already in
place! I was questioning dh tonight as to whether there was any
possibility at all that we actually made this baby 4 weeks earlier than
we thought, but becuase of having miscarried and keeping meticulous
track, I know our dates are reasonable. Dh is a bit astonished at the
size of me as well, all he can seem to do is come up and rub hands over
my belly and comment that there is "such a lot of baby in there!"

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 3/4 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old March 13th 04, 11:59 AM
Nic

"melbgal1"

Went to a Race Day today. It was sponsored by my company ( an annual
family day ) with a marqyee and spit roast and salads and pony rides for
the kids and etc.

So of course, my belly gains much attraction, but when people find out
i'm "due" in 4weeks ?
*Horror*

"Are you sure you don't want my seat"
"Are you feeling ok, do you need to sit down, can I get you a drink ?"
"It could happen any minute now, you sure are brave coming out today "
( ??????)
"Are you *sure* you're feeling ok ?"

Yup, I know that feeling. I had that with my second. I scared someone in the
supermarket as they asked me when I was due, I said tommorow, another lady
almost fainted. She was like you want me to carry the grocies to the car and
want me to help you unload the car at home blah blah blah. I at the time had
my daughter with me and I think I lifted in or out of trolley. I was
informed that it was bad for me and I should be at home resting my feet. I
couldn't help but laugh at her. With baby no 1 I was stuck on my back
resting for most of pregnancy that much to try and keep the baby inside (she
was prem by 2 months) that I enjoyed going out when preg with no 2. I spent
more time shopping with no 2 inside then I ever did with no 1 inside.

I think people just assume that once you hit 30 weeks you tend to stay at
home and do nothing when really in life we have to go on and do shopping and
partying etc. And of course looking good

So i'm looking and feeling as well as ever, and even suggesting to
people that I think the baby's pretty happy inside and will probably go
over anyway,,,, blah blah blah .... but anyway, no-one would believe how
blase' I was ( denial ? and not-at-all anxious.

I just found it funny. I do feel as far away from B-Day as I did all
those months ago at conception, so maybe it is me that has the problem,
roaming around the countryside without my Obs/Gyn in tow

--
Baby, I can't wait to meet you !
EDD: 10-Apr-2004

Nic

daughter almost 4
son 1 yo sleeping

Old March 13th 04, 12:13 PM
Sue

Well people complain that they get ignored when they are pregnant and people
complain when they get too much attention. You can't win. When I was
pregnant with DD2, she ended up being five days late. I had went shopping on
my due date and of course this little old lady asked me when I was due. I
had the pleasure of saying today. She looked horrified that I was out
shopping, lol.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

t...

Old March 13th 04, 12:29 PM
Sophie

I can't stand the question "so how are you feeeeeeling?". "Fine" is not the
right answer apparently when you're pregnant - lol. People want to know
more.

Sue is right - people can't win - they pay attention, it bugs someone, they
don't pay attention, it bugs someone

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old March 13th 04, 01:34 PM
Carol Ann

:: Went to a Race Day today. It was sponsored by my company ( an annual
:: family day ) with a marqyee and spit roast and salads and pony rides for
:: the kids and etc.
::
:: So of course, my belly gains much attraction, but when people find out
:: i'm "due" in 4weeks ?
:: *Horror*
::
:: "Are you sure you don't want my seat"
:: "Are you feeling ok, do you need to sit down, can I get you a drink ?"
:: "It could happen any minute now, you sure are brave coming out today "
:: ( ??????)
:: "Are you *sure* you're feeling ok ?"
::
::
:: So i'm looking and feeling as well as ever, and even suggesting to
:: people that I think the baby's pretty happy inside and will probably go
:: over anyway,,,, blah blah blah .... but anyway, no-one would believe how
:: blase' I was ( denial ? and not-at-all anxious.
::
:: I just found it funny. I do feel as far away from B-Day as I did all
:: those months ago at conception, so maybe it is me that has the problem,
:: roaming around the countryside without my Obs/Gyn in tow
::
::
:: --
:: Baby, I can't wait to meet you !
:: EDD: 10-Apr-2004

I will miss being pregnant.

~Carol Ann

Old March 13th 04, 02:18 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

melbgal1 wrote:

So of course, my belly gains much attraction, but when people find out
i'm "due" in 4weeks ?
*Horror*

I haven't gotten anything like that yet and I'm right on date with you.
I'm not that active though. I hobble around like an old lady with my
sore pelvis and now again I've come down with the blasted nose/allergic
rhinitis issue, am achey and sore and can't go anywhere without a box of
kleenex strapped to my side.

People are starting to comment on how huge I am though. lol

Old March 13th 04, 09:09 PM
anon

"Sophie" wrote
Sue is right - people can't win - they pay attention, it bugs someone,

they
don't pay attention, it bugs someone

So true! Sometimes it's the same person being bugged. I hate in a grocery
store when the cashiers keep offering "Are you SURE you don't want to drive
up for this?" or when people tell me I shouldn't be out in the cold, or when
someone is going shopping with me and they want to drop me off at the door.
I can WALK from the car to the store like anyone else!!

But, then, in a long line waiting for a table in a restaurant I hate when
there are a bunch of younger couples and men and they knock you out of the
way to get a seat on the bench, and no one offers for me to sit down. I do
get sort of faint when I stand for long periods.

So they can't please me- they either coddle and cater too much, or not at
all! (I have always been one to get UP out of my seat while waiting for a
table and offer it to pregnant ladies or elderly people, or to anyone who
looks like they need it more than me, such as a mom struggling to hold a car
seat and keep a toddler in tow etc). So I sort of woudl like the same
courtesy now that I have reason to need it. It wasn't a big deal at all
until this far along!

Old March 13th 04, 09:42 PM
Lizajane

So of course, my belly gains much attraction, but when people find out
i'm "due" in 4weeks ?
*Horror*

Same thing happened to me when I went to an arts festival at 35 weeks.
DH walked to get the car while I sat at the corner so he could pick me
up. Like 6 people asked me if I was ok. I wasn't even breathing hard
for goodness sake. I felt embarrassed.

My uncle who has 4 (14,11,8, and 5) children was horrified when I told
him we had gone to this arts festival. I find it hard to believe that
my aunt was an invalid when she was super pregnant.

I personally think it can be a good thing to keep moving as you get
into late pregnancy, as long as you are not in severe pain like some
folks, which CAN happen obviously.
Old March 13th 04, 11:59 PM
Kereru

"melbgal1" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Well I have to say as someone who actually was really uncomfortable, it is
nice when people ask how you are. I still went out and about but I did need
to sit down a lot and couldn't manage nearly as much walking etc.. as
normal. I think it's nice that people ask you if you need anything. For me
the only people who bothered me were the ones who would talk abot nothing
else as if all you are is pregnant.

Mind you my smaller baby was 10lb 2oz so I guess I'm not average.

Judy