Conventional Vaccine Studies

Old October 18th 06, 09:30 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Sheri Nakken RN, MA, Hahnemannian Homeopath

Default Conventional Vaccine Studies

Conventional Vaccine Studies

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/anthrax2.html
Safety of Anthrax Vaccine
Dr. Kwai Chan testified on 29 April 1999, "The long-term safety of the
vaccine has not yet been studied."

http://www.redflagsweekly.com/confer...25_Foster.html
Sept 25, 2003

IS THIS WHAT THE INSTITUTE OF MEDICINE CALLS A "VACCINE SAFETY
REVIEW?"

By David Foster

After attending an Institute of Medicine's Vaccine Safety Review
Session, titled "Potential Role of Vaccination in Sudden Unexplained
Death in Infancy" held in October of 2002. I submitted these comments
on October 28 to the IOM for the record.

----

According to Institute of Medicine's Immunization Safety Review
Committee's own "charge," the committee is to do a "causality
assessment" which "determines whether or not the evidence [...]
supports a causal relation between vaccine administration and the
adverse event". The committee is also to "identify and examine the
evidence for biological mechanisms related to the safety concern".

I am new to these meetings, so perhaps I missed something, but there
was very little discussion about the first of these charges, and
absolutely none about the latter. Before the meeting I had
re-familiarized myself with the notable studies related to vaccination
and SIDS, but was disappointed when none of these studies were ever
mentioned. I left wondering if I had in fact been to the correct
meeting.

Well now I have a better idea of how this process works. First, you
gather evidence which is either very weak or highly irrelevant, then
you ignore what evidence there is suggesting a safety concern, and then
you conclude that the evidence is either inconclusive or insufficient
to establish any kind of relationship between vaccines and the adverse
event in question.

And I must confess, from the presentations made at the meeting I would
also conclude there is no evidence to suggest a connection between
vaccination and SIDS. The problem here is that this process is a
disingenuous search for the truth. It reminds me of a statement from
immunologist Wolfgang Ehrengut: "what must not be cannot be".

What follows is a brief summary and commentary of the meeting,
organized by presentation:

First Amy Branum, Staff Fellow for the Infant and Child Health
Branch at the National Center for Health Statistics, gave a talk about
the epidemiology of infant mortality in the US. In short, there are
28,000 infant deaths annually (before first birthday) among 4 million
births in the US, which is an infant mortality rate of 6.9 per 1000.
She showed a slide of the trend in US infant mortality during the 20th
century, and then remarked on the "sharp decline about 1970". I sure
did not see any drop off, as the decline was steady throughout the
1900's. She then said that right now we have the lowest infant
mortality ever recorded in the US. One cannot but help wonder why she
did not compare our rates with those of other industrialized countries.
Perhaps it is disconcerting to note that we have the highest infant
mortality of all these countries.

She noted a male/female infant mortality difference of 7.2 vs. 6.0,
which I found very interesting given a similar sex discrepancy between
certain vaccine adverse events.

Perhaps the most sobering statistic reported was that SIDS is the
leading cause of postneonatal ( 1 month) mortality in the US.

Of most interest to me was the graph showing the decline in the
rate of SIDS from 1985 to the present. She referred to a "sharp drop"
in SIDS after the introduction of the "Back to Sleep Campaign", which
advocated putting babies on their backs, but from the graph one could
clearly see that the SIDS rates were declining before this time, and
continued to decline at a steady rate afterwards.

- - - -

Dr. Robert Ball, Chief of the Vaccine Safety Branch in the Office
of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Center for Biologics Evaluation and
Research, FDA, discussed investigations of reports to VAERS (Vaccine
Adverse Events Reporting System) of infant deaths. He said that VAERS
"encourages reporting" of adverse events after vaccines, and claimed
that "all death and serious [...] reports receive follow-up".

He gave a good and reasonable overview of the limitations of VAERS.
Then in his "Background" slide he had these bullets:

- Controlled studies of vaccines do not show increased risk of
death among vaccinees.
- The widespread administration of vaccines may result in some
temporal, but not causal, associations with death.

It was interesting that in his talk he said "most controlled
studies", but then failed to discuss any individual studies.

To his credit he did include:

- It is possible that vaccination rarely causes death at rates
too low to allow detection in controlled studies.

Then Dr. Ball discussed one of two analyses from VAERS, the first
being "The Epidemiology of Fatalities Reported to VAERS 1990-1997" [1]
.. He notes that "nearly half of reported deaths [were] attributed to
SIDS", and concludes that the "data support prior controlled studies
showing that association between infant vaccination and SIDS is not
causal". There was no explanation of how this conclusion was reached,
nor were there any questions about it from the committee.

His next slide was quite interesting, showing how there were more
reported deaths after vaccination in males than in females in all age
groups except 5-9 (50/50 respectively) and =65 (55/45). Interesting
that this follows the sex discrepancy in SIDS cases (64/36 from his
next slide.

Dr. Ball next discussed a study which concluded "none of the
additional information obtained from parents provide a signal or
confirmation of a causal link between vaccine and death". [2] It is
interesting to note: (a) that determining whether there is a link
between vaccines and infant deaths does not appear to be the purpose of
this study; and (b) this study interviewed exactly one hundred (100!)
consecutive pediatric deaths reported to VAERS.

The next study discussed by Dr. Ball brings us to a low point in
his talk. The study concludes that there is "no evidence to suggest
Hepatitis B vaccination [is] implicated in neonatal deaths". [3] This
study examined seventeen (17!) autopsy reports of deaths reported to
VAERS between 1991-1998, and apparently the researchers were able to
attribute the deaths to causes other than the Hepatitis B vaccine. The
problem is, 12 of the 17 deaths were labeled SIDS! I do not understand
how this study provides ANY relevant information in a meeting where we
are supposed to be determining whether there is an association between
vaccines and SIDS. The committee asked zero questions about this study.

Dr. Ball then discussed briefly 5 more published surveillance
summaries, all from the same VAERS group, and all coming up with
negative findings.

It is interesting to note that among the VAERS followups of death
reports, only 29% of them provide an autopsy, and this autopsy is a
prerequisite for consideration in all the above mentioned studies.

Before his summary, Dr. Ball's last slide included:

"VAERS has limited ability to detect rare events".

- - - -

Dr. Joel Ward, Director of the UCLA Center for Vaccine Research at
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, discusses the Vaccine Safety Datalink (VSD)
research relevant to an association between vaccines and SIDS. He noted
that "mortality is highest for children during the first six months of
life, a time when most vaccines are given", that "few studies of this
topic [have been] conducted, and no large population-based studies
[have been done] ", and finally that there have been "frequent but
unsubstantiated anecdotal allegations" of death following vaccine
administration.

Here are some of his key points:

- Prior IOM study (1994) concluded there to be insufficient
evidence to show vaccine-related causality to death

- Prior studies focused on DPT and SIDS, but no convincing
associations were identified (one wonders how "convincing" is defined
here)

- Four studies of Edmonston-Zagreb high-dose measles vaccine
conducted in developing countries with high mortality showed an
association with increased death

- Some VAERS case reports suggest anaphylaxis with fatal
outcome occurs following HBV, but such reports are rare and is not
associated with increased mortality

Dr. Ward then discussed two studies using data from the Vaccine
Safety Datalink. The first study found that there is no association
between vaccines and infant death overall, but he admitted that the
cause of death is "difficult to determine when long term conditions
exist", and that it is "difficult to detect specific vaccine influence
when multiple vaccines [are] commonly administered or when there might
be a long interval from vaccination and death".

The second VSD study considered the relationship between Hepatitis
B vaccine and neonatal death, and concluded that "HBV likely not
associated with neonatal death". However, he states "in our clinical
review, only 13 of 59 deaths among previously vaccinated neonates were
thought to be clinically and temporally compatible with potential HBV".
Excuse me? Doesn't this suggest biological plausibility, and isn't
13/59 significant? But then it gets worse, as he states that the
"causes of death for the 13 did not seem plausible [related to HBV] (1
epiglottitis, 6 late sepsis, 2 NEC, 4 SIDS). Once again a diagnosis of
SIDS is being used to preclude the association between vaccination and
SIDS.

- - - -

For me the most interesting talk was given by Dr. Ronald Harper,
from the Department of Neurobiology, David Geffen School of Medicine at
UCLA. He characterized the fatal event in SIDS as being "associated
with bradycardia and an absence of breathing influence on heart rate",
noting that SIDS victims show tachycardia 3 days before the fatal event
and that hypotension occurs during the fatal event. He then notes that
this response is similar to what is seen in the two stages of shock,
"an initial sympathoexcitation, followed by a sympathoinhibition and
parasympathetic excitation (bradycardia)". He notes studies by
Harrington et al, 2002 and Feifer et. al. 2002 that find that infants
at risk for SIDS exhibit deficient blood pressure responses to tilt;
this tilt can have a dramatic effect on blood pressure via the
vestibular system.

Dr. Harper then discusses the various brain structures that mediate
recovery from blood pressure loss (ventral medullary surface, caudal
raphe, inferior olive, and fastigial nucleus of cerebellum). He then
shows brain activation studies showing activation of these very
structures by "blood pressure elevation by inspiratory loading".

What struck me most in his talk is that the purkinje cells of the
cerebellum are "preferentially damaged following ischemic events". He
notes that all the structures involved in regulation of blood pressure
are extremely sensitive to ischemia and toxic insults.

Dr. Harper stated that he finds structural differences in the
brains of infants who died from SIDS, including a delayed maturation of
cerebellum purkinje cells and damage to the inferior olive. He notes
that the critical period for SIDS of 2-6 months is a time of intense
myelination in the brain.

One member of the committee asked Dr. Harper whether the ischemic
or toxic insults he is talking about could be caused by vaccination.
Dr. Harper did not give a direct answer to this question, as this is
not his field of expertise. (It was disappointing that there were no
speakers at the meeting with this expertise, as this is central to the
issue under consideration.)

- - - -

I am going to cover the remaining two talks fairly quickly, as I
was not sure what their relevance to the issue of vaccination and SIDS
really was. Both concerned inborn errors of metabolism (IEM), which are
genetic conditions which lead to metabolic disorders. In the first
talk, by Dr. Donald Chace and Dr. Edwin Naylor of Neo Gen Screening, it
was stated that inborn errors of metabolism actually account for 1% of
SIDS cases. One of the slides presented stated the following:

- Vaccinated infants:
* At risk for metabolic decompensation
* Death due to metabolic disorder, not the vaccine possible

Believe it or not, this was almost all that was said about vaccines
in this talk, and these items were not expanded upon by either the
speakers or the committee. The talk mostly extolled the virtues of
screening infants for metabolic conditions; this is difficult to argue
with, but I don't see why it is relevant for this meeting.

At the end of this talk several key questions were listed on the
last slide, as "Unknowns":

- How many SIDS cases with a positive diagnosis of an IEM
occurred within 7 days of a vaccination?
- What does vaccination produce in patients with known
metabolic disorders?

Dr. Chace stated that he seemed to notice a correlation between
recent infection or other illness and death from IEM.

- - - -

The final talk was by Dr. Stephen Goodman, Director of B.F.
Stolinsky Research Laboratories at the University of Colorado Health
Sciences Center. The following are the only points relevant to vaccines
and SIDS made in this talk:

- Many IEM patients crash after infections
- Dr. Goodman believes IEM accounts for about 5% of SIDS cases
- Dr. Goodman suggested against immunizing kids having IEM
- When asked if any of the deaths can be a reaction to an
infection or vaccine, Dr. Goodman replied "Yes, but we don't know squat
about pathogenesis".

- - - -

So there you have it. About the only talk which even approached a
discussion of biological mechanisms and plausibility discussed a
possible relationship between ischemic or toxic insults and brain
structural changes in the brains of SIDS infants, but there was no one
at the meeting to speak (or was willing to speak) to the possibility of
a connection between vaccine-induced shock and the findings of Dr.
Ronald Harper.

The entire afternoon was spent discussing the virtues of screening
for inborn errors of metabolism, with seemingly very little relevance
to the purposes of this particular Safety Review Committee.

"Safety Review" is my newest favorite oxymoron.

1. Silvers LE, Ellenberg SS, Wise RP, Varriccho FE, Mootrey GT,
Salive ME. The epidemiology of fatalities reported to the Vaccine
Adverse Events Reporting System 1990-1997". Pharmacoepidemiology and
Drug Safety. 2001; 10:279-285.

2. Silvers LE, Varriccho FE, Ellenberg SS, Krueger CI, Wise RP,
Salive ME. Pediatric deaths reported after vaccination: The utility of
information obtained from Parents. American Journal of Preventive
Medicine. 2002; 22:170-176.

3. Niu MT, Salive ME, Ellenberg SS. Neonatal deaths after Hepatitis
B vaccine: the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, 1991-1998.
Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 1999; 153:1279-82.

Sheri Nakken, R.N., MA, Hahnemannian Homeopath
Vaccination Information & Choice Network, Nevada City CA & Wales UK
$$ Donations to help in the work - accepted by Paypal account
voicemail US 530-740-0561
(go to
http://www.paypal.com) or by mail
Vaccines - http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccine.htm
Vaccine Dangers On-Line course -
http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccineclass.htm
Reality of the Diseases & Treatment -
http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/vaccineclass.htm
Homeopathy On-Line course - http://www.nccn.net/~wwithin/homeo.htm

Old October 18th 06, 03:03 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
HCN

"Sheri Nakken RN, MA, Hahnemannian Homeopath"
wrote in message
oups.com...
Conventional Vaccine Studies

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/anthraxsilly.html

Ah, yes.... the website by the guy who also claims that satanic black lines
burned his bum! From http://www.whale.to/b/cbblack.html ... " I also burnt
my ass on it some years back when I was experimenting with psychedelics,
similar to a chemical burn right through my trousers, where the trousers
were unscathed apart from a flattening of the cord. I thought, first, that
I had been given a metaphysical kick up the backside! Perhaps I had. "

Not a very reliable source...

Safety of Anthrax Vaccine
Dr. Kwai Chan testified on 29 April 1999, "The long-term safety of the
vaccine has not yet been studied."

So in what part of the world is the Anthrax vaccine a routine part of the
pediatric vaccine schedule... or even a standard one for adults.

http://www.redflagsweakly.com/confer...25_Foster.html
Sept 25, 2003

.... snippity snip snip...

oooh... another "reliable" source. Where is the science... or do you get
all your information from journalists in who have their hands in the wallets
of lawyers (Pringle is one of those).

So what is the real science behind homeopathy? How come when some semblence
of controls get used with its studies homeopathy fails... miserably?

Old October 18th 06, 03:15 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
john

"HCN" wrote in message

Ah, yes.... the website by the guy who also claims that satanic black
lines burned his bum! From http://www.whale.to/b/cbblack.html ... " I
also burnt my ass on it some years back when I was experimenting with
psychedelics, similar to a chemical burn right through my trousers, where
the trousers were unscathed apart from a flattening of the cord. I
thought, first, that I had been given a metaphysical kick up the backside!
Perhaps I had. "

Not a very reliable source...

ad hominem is your best argument, as usual, aka no argument

Old October 18th 06, 03:35 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
HCN

"JOHN" wrote in message

"HCN" wrote in message

Ah, yes.... the website by the guy who also claims that satanic black
lines burned his bum! From http://www.whale.to/b/cbblack.html ... " I
also burnt my ass on it some years back when I was experimenting with
psychedelics, similar to a chemical burn right through my trousers, where
the trousers were unscathed apart from a flattening of the cord. I
thought, first, that I had been given a metaphysical kick up the
backside! Perhaps I had. "

Not a very reliable source...

ad hominem is your best argument, as usual, aka no argument

Just letting people "consider the source"! And it's a doozy!

Old October 19th 06, 12:37 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

"HCN" wrote in message

"Sheri Nakken RN, MA, Hahnemannian Homeopath"
wrote in message
oups.com...
Conventional Vaccine Studies

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/anthraxsilly.html

Ah, yes.... the website by the guy who also claims that satanic black
lines burned his bum! From http://www.whale.to/b/cbblack.html ... " I
also burnt my ass on it some years back when I was experimenting with
psychedelics, similar to a chemical burn right through my trousers, where
the trousers were unscathed apart from a flattening of the cord. I
thought, first, that I had been given a metaphysical kick up the backside!
Perhaps I had. "

Not a very reliable source...

And you are? TDN?

Wanna tell us again, how it is A OK to have vested interest in vaccines?

Old October 19th 06, 08:27 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
john

"HCN" wrote in message
. ..

ad hominem is your best argument, as usual, aka no argument

Just letting people "consider the source"! And it's a doozy!

ad hominem = no argument, but we knew that.

Old October 19th 06, 03:06 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
HCN

"JOHN" wrote in message

"HCN" wrote in message
. ..

ad hominem is your best argument, as usual, aka no argument

Just letting people "consider the source"! And it's a doozy!

ad hominem = no argument, but we knew that.

You snipped...
Safety of Anthrax Vaccine
Dr. Kwai Chan testified on 29 April 1999, "The long-term safety of the
vaccine has not yet been studied."

So in what part of the world is the Anthrax vaccine a routine part of the
pediatric vaccine schedule... or even a standard one for adults?

Come on, John... Sheri is just spamming and isn't answering the question,
how about you?

Where is the Anthrax vaccine routinely given? Where is it listed he
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/..._pink_full.htm ?

Old October 19th 06, 03:31 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health
Max C.

HCN wrote:
"JOHN" wrote in message
ad hominem is your best argument, as usual, aka no argument

Just letting people "consider the source"! And it's a doozy!

John is not the source. David Foster is. Typical that when you can't
debate the subject you just take the lazy way out using persoanl
attacks.

Max.