Remeber the misc.kids photo album 1994?

Old April 28th 05, 02:27 PM
marieke

Glad to hear from you again. I just flipped through the 1994 photo
album to check out your twins. Time flies doesn't it. You'll find me
on p166 of the '94 yearbook. Only 1 kid at that time, Emma wasn't born
until later that year. The one in the picture is now 5'10", loves to
skateboard and spends hours programming his own computergames. He's
doing very well in school, 7th grade.

Emma loves animals, especially horses and her 3 guinea pigs. She plans
to become a vet. Because school doesn't offer her enough challenges,
she has just started an correspondence course on animal-care. She gets
to work on it during school hours. She also plays the guitar.

I still work, but only about two days a week. Part of that I do from
my home. I like the way this enables me to balance various activities,
although I would like to see my collegues a bit more.

Marieke

Hi Marieke,

Nice to see you pop in for a visit!

I'm still around a bit, although I'd not consider myself a regular in any
misc.kids newsgroup anymore. My twins are now almost 13, one in 9th grade,
one in 7th. Weird to think of these babies in the misc.kids yearbooks (I
think we're in the first 3 ones) are now so grown up and 'mature'.

DS is totally into becoming a rock star. He's a huge Nirvana fan, and
listens to a lot of my old music from the 80's. He's very cool and way smart
and attends an elite private school about an hour north of our home. DD is a
fashion plate and is very interested in interior design, which is her goal
in life. She's in a public school and doing quite well despite some pretty
severe learning differences.

I no longer work (yahoo!) and relish being a SAHM at long last. I'll have
to pull out my yearbooks and look at your kids again. That is, if I can find
them....

Marjorie

Old April 28th 05, 10:07 PM
Christopher Biow

(Robyn Kozierok) wrote:
marieke wrote:

Nice to hear from you again Chris and Robyn! I checked out your
entries in the 1994 yearbook. Did you get your PhD Robyn? I was
working on my PhD at the time, but never finished it.

Nope, I never finished mine either. I discovered I could get the
research job I wanted without it.

I never got past my All But Thesis either: found greater opportunities on
the business side of things than in the Great PhD Glut of the 90's. (Though
I managed to miss the whole dotcom thing, for good and bad.)

I also missed the 1994 album, but you'll find us in the 1995 one. And I
Have the Tee Shirt.

I remember misc.kids back then as a warm community, sharing joy and
pain. Since I am new here now I haven't figured yet out if it is still
like that now.

Are there any activities like those we shared in '94 going on?

We did have a couple of abortive attempts at tee shirts, online yearbooks,
FAQ maintenance, and picnics, but I think 1995 can probably be dated as the
year misc.kids started dying. 1997 saw the inception of misc.kids.moderated
as an attempt to recapture the old misc.kids, but I guess the Internet
turned out to be quite a bit more than an alternative transport mechanism
for Usenet: it also carried the Web, which has been in the process of
gradually killing Usenet ever since. Still a nice place to spend time, but
the Golden Age is long gone. GIFs at 11.

People tend to be more private about what personal details they divulge
on the internet now, often not including children's names etc. The feel
is definitely different. I think there are still shared joy and pain here,
but the picnics etc. are more a thing of the past (or limited to smaller
mailing list communities).

Things have certainly diverged into email, the various Web-based
communities, etc. A lot of the community we had was dependent upon one or
two highly dedicated and competent individuals. If someone were to put in
energy for a yearbook or picnic, I expect that it might still work.

Old April 29th 05, 07:54 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Christopher Biow wrote:

(Robyn Kozierok) wrote:
marieke wrote:

Nice to hear from you again Chris and Robyn! I checked out your
entries in the 1994 yearbook. Did you get your PhD Robyn? I was
working on my PhD at the time, but never finished it.

Nope, I never finished mine either. I discovered I could get the
research job I wanted without it.

I never got past my All But Thesis either:

That's where I got to too -- "all but thesis". I wasn't ever really
invested in my PhD thesis topic (though I did a thesis for my Master's)
which is part of why I never cared about finishing it.

I also missed the 1994 album, but you'll find us in the 1995 one. And I
Have the Tee Shirt.

Ooh, I don't know what happened to my T-shirt! I have one of the toddler
sized ones somewhere too

--Robyn

..

Old May 2nd 05, 05:47 PM
Penny Gaines

Christopher Biow wrote:

People tend to be more private about what personal details they divulge
on the internet now, often not including children's names etc.**The*feel
is definitely different.**I*think*there*are*still*shared*joy*and *pain
here, but the picnics etc. are more a thing of the past (or limited to
smaller mailing list communities).

Things have certainly diverged into email, the various Web-based
communities, etc. A lot of the community we had was dependent upon one or
two highly dedicated and competent individuals. If someone were to put in
energy for a yearbook or picnic, I expect that it might still work.

I think google changed usenet a lot: it used to be that you could post
details and even though you knew they *might* be retrieved later, it would
be a pain for anyone doing it. With google around, usenet posts have a
permanence they never used to have.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old May 2nd 05, 05:47 PM
Penny Gaines

[snip]
It's been awhile since I last entered this group. In fact it's been
ages. However I once was an active member of the misc.kids community.
Back in 1992 through 1995 roughly. Back then we joined forces and put
together a misc.kids photoalbum featuring the misc.kids active posters
and their kids of course. This was a hard copy afair, that was sent
out to particitants in the US and Europe. We didn't trust the internet
even back then.

I'm still around as well. I did one photoalbum, which I think was the 1995
one, but I could be wrong. We've also got the misc.kids t-shirts.

I've got three children now: the oldest on the verge of going to secondary
school - he was a baby in the photo-album. I've also got an 8yo and a
6yo.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old May 2nd 05, 06:51 PM
Rosalie B.

Penny Gaines wrote:

Christopher Biow wrote:

People tend to be more private about what personal details they divulge
on the internet now, often not including children's names etc.**The*feel
is definitely different.**I*think*there*are*still*shared*joy*and *pain
here, but the picnics etc. are more a thing of the past (or limited to
smaller mailing list communities).

Things have certainly diverged into email, the various Web-based
communities, etc. A lot of the community we had was dependent upon one or
two highly dedicated and competent individuals. If someone were to put in
energy for a yearbook or picnic, I expect that it might still work.

I think google changed usenet a lot: it used to be that you could post
details and even though you knew they *might* be retrieved later, it would
be a pain for anyone doing it. With google around, usenet posts have a
permanence they never used to have.

Even in the old days there was dejanews. I don't know whether google
picked all those old posts up from dejanews or not. I know I was on
the internet in 1996 or a bit before that because I booked a vacation
on the internet then. But it wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now.

grandma Rosalie

Old May 2nd 05, 09:15 PM
Penny Gaines

Rosalie B. wrote:

I think google changed usenet a lot: it used to be that you could post
details and even though you knew they might be retrieved later, it would
be a pain for anyone doing it.**With*google*around,*usenet*posts*have*a
permanence they never used to have.

Even in the old days there was dejanews.**I*don't*know*whether*google
picked all those old posts up from dejanews or not.**I*know*I*was*on
the internet in 1996 or a bit before that because I booked a vacation
on the internet then.**But*it*wasn't*as*ubiquitous*as*it*is*now.

You newbie! Dejanews didn't exist when I first got newsgroups (although
obviously the archives must have been somewhere).

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old May 2nd 05, 10:00 PM
Beth Kevles

Um, when I first started using Usenet (early 1980s) almost nothing was
archived. Nor was there a hierarchy to the newsgroups. It was all
news.this, news.that. Some stuff (mostly to do with computer
programming) was archived quietly at one university or another, but you
had to use anonymous FTP to get at it, and already know it was there to
use FTP in the first place.

It was quite a shock news posts first started getting automatically
archived!

(And I don't consider myself a *real* oldtimer.)

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old May 14th 05, 05:43 PM
Chris

Just looked in my office for the old books. I have 1993, 94, 95 and 96.
Boy, have we changed! I'm a full professor and chair of my department
now, we still live in Central NY with our two boys, and I celebrated 25
years of marriage to Craig this year. I still think fondly of the "old
days" of misc.kids. When we moved to NY we got some great advice from
misc.kidders about this area, and kept in touch with a few for awhile.

My favorite piece of misc.kid advice was the Magna Doodle! We used
ours for years on long trips...

Chris