Notify father if moving from Colorado to Kentucky as never married mom?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26th 08, 11:58 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
Jan[_5_]

Default Notify father if moving from Colorado to Kentucky as never married mom?

A neighbor gave me a set of facts and asked me to see what I could
find on the Internet. Her daughter is planning on moving from Colorado
to Kentucky and she is thinking she may need a lawyer. All I want to
be able to tell her is why she'll need a lawyer and what statute
necessitates her need for a lawyer?

Below are the facts as they were explained to me:

===== ===== =====

My main question is will I need a lawyer? I'm not married to the man
but he does pay child support.

I did do a little online research and I more or less decided that if I
was married to the man then this finding might apply: "[H]ire a
Child & Family Investigator to conduct an investigation and make a
recommendation to the court whenever one of the parents wishes move
away from the geographic area where the other parent lives." Source:
http://johnsonlawcorp.com/pages/relocation.html

There is a lot of information re Colorado relocation situations on the
web, here, at
http://www.coloradodivorcemediation....ustody%20cases,
but while the word "unmarried" is included in this info there is no
specific case law or statute mentioned that applies specifically to
unmarried people.

I only found one "official" Colorado form that addresses this
situation and also mentions unmarried parents, but the particular law
that requires the use of this form is not mentioned. Here is a link to
the form: http://www.courts.state.co.us/chs/co...ic/jdf1421.pdf

This form is also mentioned in an advice handbook for Colorado parents
called "Connecting With Your Kids." See:
http://www.coloradofoundation.org/pd...ishVersion.pdf.

Now I am ready to move and all I want to know is whether I am required
to give the father any official notice or is it okay to just move and
let the child support authorities make sure my support checks are
forwarded to my new address?

===== ===== =====

The info above is everything my neighbor (the maternal grandmother)
told me about her daughter and granddaughter. She knows I get on the
Internet a lot so she asked me if I'd mind taking a look to see what I
could find, especially if her daughter will need a lawyer and if so
where does it say so.

I decided to ask here because I am reckoning someone will know the
answer without even thinking twice about it and will be able to cite a
particular statute that demands notice be given or a statute that says
no notice need be given.

If this isn't the right newsgroup for this question do you have any
suggestion what group might be better?

Thanks.

Jan