Preteens grouped w/younger kids or older?

Old June 4th 05, 08:47 PM
dragonlady

In article .com,
"beeswing" wrote:

Her problem was that she needed quite a bit of sleep - she's not the
kind of kid that can sit up all night and function the next day. The
other girls were into nail polish and talking about boys and were
wearing bras whereas she was still a little girl. They teased her a
bit about that, and about the fact that she wanted to go to sleep
rather than painting her toenails or something.

Yeah, this stuff concerns me: the whole girls must be into boys and
fingernail polish (though not necessarily in that order.) One of the
reasons she's unhappy with her current school is that she dislikes this
kind of "girl talk" -- and that leaves her excluded.

I never got into that stuff as a teen, and frequently felt left out of
the larger crowd. I found other kids (boys and girls) who had more
important things to talk about than boys, makeup, clothes and movie
stars.

My little sister got into it briefly, but only because she felt like she
had to; she lived in a VERY small town, and that's all there was.

Neither of my daughters got into that very much; a brief spell for my
younger daughter, but my older daughter always had friends of both
genders, so there really wasn't much room for that kind of thing.

It is VERY frustrating to see the peer pressure that goes into the mix
to encourage girls to act "boy-crazy" and all that. And, sometimes, the
Mom-pressu there are a surprising number of parents who think its
cute and delightful.

Old June 4th 05, 11:38 PM
animzmirot

"starting to fill up around now"?
You must either have a *lot* of summer programs available, or few
parents interested in them

Most of the programs we were interested in opened registration in
March and filled up in April.

I was thinking the same thing myself. The camp DD goes to sends it's next
year registration out in Sept and it's filled up by Halloween. The camp DS
is attending this summer was filled up by January. I think the only
programs that aren't filled are those 'one week' tasting menu type of camp,
but my kids aren't interested in attending camps that are so brief they
can't really make friends. YMMV, of course.

Marjorie

Old June 5th 05, 07:19 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,

On 2005-06-03, Robyn Kozierok wrote:
You should find out if they usually do tend to fill up, and what their
cancellation policies are (should you wish to hedge your bets and
sign up for both for some of the weeks). Around here, it would be hard
to get a kid into later weeks of a "good" summer program after summer
begins. They are starting to fill up around now, with the reality of
school ending in under 2 weeks finally hitting home with the parents.

"starting to fill up around now"?
You must either have a *lot* of summer programs available, or few
parents interested in them

Most of the programs we were interested in opened registration in
March and filled up in April.

The overnight camp my kids go to sends out registrations in September,
for the next summer, and some units start filling up almost immediately!

But the day camp programs around here don't even send out flyers until
May. I don't know when the public school's afterschool/summer program
opened registration, since we don't use it. Most of the other programs
don't run all summer, so you need to cobble together a mish-mash of
specialty day camps if you want to cover the whole summer. Some
parents just hire nannies instead, especially if they have younger
children, since full-day programs for preschool-age children are nearly
non-existent. My kids and I were underwhelmed by the parks and rec
program whose primary purpose is clearly daycare, so we consider
ourselves lucky to have flexible enough schedules to go with the
shorter days of the various and sundry day camps, but, as I said, they
don't even start finalizing their plans and sending out flyers until
May in most cases!

--Robyn
..

Old June 5th 05, 07:21 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
animzmirot wrote:

I think the only
programs that aren't filled are those 'one week' tasting menu type of camp,
but my kids aren't interested in attending camps that are so brief they
can't really make friends. YMMV, of course.

These are the camps I was referring to when I said programs were starting
to fill up. Many of them do run for several weeks in a row, but not for
the full summer, and registration is on a week-by-week basis.

One of the benefits of living in a smaller town is that no matter which
camp my kids go to, they will already have friends there, even if they
didn't pre-arrange with friends to go to the same camps. The kids they
know from school, Hebrew school, soccer, Tae Kwon Do,... are the same
kids who show up at the various camps. That is not to say that they
know everyone, of course, but my kids have also found that it is
easier/faster to make new friends that they meet in a camp centered
around a common interest, as opposed to a longer-term, more
general-interest camp.

--Robyn
..