What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

Old June 15th 06, 01:21 AM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

In article .com,
" wrote:

Dragonlady,
I apologize if I'm not being clear with what I consider "adult" like
clothing. I think your confusion with this is not necessarily due to
my lack of clarification. I think this is the issue...what is
considered too riske for children?

Of course, a pair of little jeans and a polo is darling and very
appropriate. A Sunday dress and mary janes is fine. Certainly
clothing when we were growing up is fine. This is a recent phenomenon
- which is why it's a discussion that may look on the surface as not
being an issue but, in reality, is.

I think we're talking the difference between
(http://www.janieandjack.com/) and (http://ubbaby.com/). We're talking
a difference between Gap and LimitedToo. My concern comes with both
miniturizing adult clothing (clothing made for mature pubescent adults)
and with sexualizing the clothing (or the child) in the advertisement.

Does this help clarify?

I've never BEEN unclear: you are the one who keeps saying we shouldn't
dress children in "adult" clothing, when it is clear that your problem
is NOT with adult clothing, but with risque clothing.

I maintain that your use of the word "adult" to describe sexy clothing
is a mistake, and there is no problem with children wearing suits and
ties, or fancy dresses, or dress up shoes, or many of the other clothes
that adults wear. My kids pretty much dress the same way their other
parent and I do: most days, jeans and t-shirts or sweat shirts, dresses
and nice shirts on Sunday or out to dinner. They have most of their
lives. And, as they got older, would sometimes ask for dressier clothes
-- my daughters will sometimes ask to borrow my clothes for fancy
occassions, and have since they were about 11. I don't think you'd have
issues with anything they wore, since *I* don't wear risque clothing.
So you do NOT have a problem with children dressing like adults: you
have a problem with children dressing in sexy clothing, and I think if
you REALLY want to further the conversation, you need to SAY that, and
stop referring to "adult" clothing. This particular adult has NEVER
worn the sorts of things that you don't like.

I have a problem with people of ANY age wearing clothes that are more
appropriate to a strip club on the street, or more appropriate for beach
wear to church -- regardless of age. I think showing underwear in
public is in poor taste. I don't like clothes that advertise a product.
I don't like those clothes on anyone -- regardless of age. That some
people put children in these clothes, yes, is even worse, but I don't
see all that much of it.

Certainly, if we sexualize children it is inappropriate -- no one would
argue with that.

My argument is that to refer to that as "adult" clothing is a mistake.
It isn't "adult" -- it is just inappropriate.

And I have no interest in viewing your web site, so you might as well
stop trying to send me to it. Your continued attempt to get people to
look at it undermines your claim that you are only interested in
conversaton.

Old June 15th 06, 01:32 AM posted to misc.kids

" wrote in
ups.com:

I respect your opinion that there is nothing wrong with
what children wear. It's just something I've noticed and
am concerned about. That's all. It's worth discussing and
thinking about when one looks at ads including children -
or when young children want to dress up like little
teenagers.

you can't go by advertising to see what children actually
wear. go out to a park or something & look at some real kids.
for the most part you *won't* see kids dressed in slutty or
even "miniature adult" clothes. you'll see jeans, t-shirts,
shorts, tanktops, probably sweatpants (which is my big
bugbear. i really dislike seeing sweatpants out in public,
although i'll tend to be charitable if they're on kids of
toilet training age).
lee
Old June 15th 06, 01:51 AM posted to misc.kids

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I think you're making too much of this, like foreigners who watch Hollywood
movies and think all of America is like that, or trying to save the snail
darter or something. This clothing "trend" you're so concerned about
certainly isn't mainstream, and probably applies to a very small segment of
the population.
Why have you chosen this issue to focus on? Do you have any kids?

Old June 15th 06, 02:14 AM posted to misc.kids

wrote in message
ups.com...
My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

Pedophiles are pedophiles, no matter how a child dresses. To blame child
sexual abuse on dress takes the responsibility away from the perpetrator.
It's ALWAYS the perpetrators fault for abusing a child.

Is there any responsibility there on behalf of us parents to present
our children like the children they are - rather than the adults they
will become? Is it a responsibility of us as a society to be outraged
over the explotation of our children in advertising?

I'd really appreciate an honest discussion - even if you disagree with
me.

xkatx wrote:
"Banty" wrote in message
In article om,
says...

I have a question I'd LOVE feedback on...

What's the impact of dressing our children as adults...
on the child?
on the adult?
as a society?

I have a few comments and pictures at
http://redeemingchildhood.blogspot.com.

You're front and center with your pictures, and you're sending
unsolicited
posts
hawking your website.

And you say you're concerned about the children...

Uh-HUH.

Scumbag.

Banty

I agree.

I'm still somewhat confused on the question, if it really was a question.
DS has been known to wear a blazer or something, dress very similar to
the
first boy, and my brother, 15 years ago, around 2-3 years of age, would
always *want* to wear a suit with a tie - very much like the second boy!
(I
can remember very clearly he had similar clothes but in a baby blue that
he'd always *like* and request to wear)
I have a thing for when I dress mine... I dunno... We have our clothes,
and
then we have our play clothes.
Scumbag is an appropriate choice of word

Old June 15th 06, 03:01 AM posted to misc.kids

"Aula" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

Then I think you need to reframe your question. I am an adult and I do not
often dress provocatively. Many adults do not dress provocatively.
Perhaps, though, that is the word you are looking for, not 'adults'.

I finally went to the website and looked at the pictures. Almost all
the pictures are perfectly (IMO) appropriate clothing for children.
Some of the POSES are very suggestive though and look like child porn
to me. But it isn't the clothing that is at fault, it is the
photographer and the audience.

The one thing that I've got a problem with is that I've never seen the
reason for little girls to wear bikinis. But given that they do wear
bikinis (and have been doing so for 40 or more years - this isn't
recent), I don't think that the bikinis are particularly sexy.

Old June 15th 06, 03:38 AM posted to misc.kids

Rosalie B. wrote:

The one thing that I've got a problem with is that I've never seen the
reason for little girls to wear bikinis. But given that they do wear
bikinis (and have been doing so for 40 or more years - this isn't
recent), I don't think that the bikinis are particularly sexy.

One advantage of bikinis (or any two-piece suit) is that the kids don't
grow out of them as fast. Kids often gain an inch or two in height
without getting significantly wider for a while.

--Helen

Old June 15th 06, 03:59 AM posted to misc.kids

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rosalie B. wrote:

The one thing that I've got a problem with is that I've never seen
the
reason for little girls to wear bikinis. But given that they do
wear
bikinis (and have been doing so for 40 or more years - this isn't
recent), I don't think that the bikinis are particularly sexy.

One advantage of bikinis (or any two-piece suit) is that the kids
don't
grow out of them as fast. Kids often gain an inch or two in height
without getting significantly wider for a while.

But there are plenty of 2 pieces that aren't bikinis too. DD just got
one, and while she's going into middle school and wanting to look and
feel "grown up," she did not want anything skimpy. The one she got
only left about 2 inches of skin showing in the middle.

Bizby

Old June 15th 06, 04:51 AM posted to misc.kids

"bizby40" wrote:
" wrote in message
roups.com...

Rosalie B. wrote:

The one thing that I've got a problem with is that I've never seen
the
reason for little girls to wear bikinis. But given that they do
wear
bikinis (and have been doing so for 40 or more years - this isn't
recent), I don't think that the bikinis are particularly sexy.

One advantage of bikinis (or any two-piece suit) is that the kids
don't
grow out of them as fast. Kids often gain an inch or two in height
without getting significantly wider for a while.

But there are plenty of 2 pieces that aren't bikinis too. DD just got
one, and while she's going into middle school and wanting to look and
feel "grown up," she did not want anything skimpy. The one she got
only left about 2 inches of skin showing in the middle.

I was using bikini as a generic term for any two piece suit.