Am I risking it?

Old May 18th 04, 10:23 PM
Puester

Default Am I risking it?

ted wrote:

What's your opinion about a baby girl's name 'Avanti'? I absolutely
love the name. It has a nice meaning in quite a few languages.

Upon a search on this ng I found out about the non-latex brand. I wish
I hadn't searched

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

Yes, she will. If it's a boy, will you call him Trojan?

Isn't Avanti also the name of a defunct auto?

gloria p
Old May 18th 04, 11:18 PM
CC Bailey

Sophie wrote:

Aurora just makes me think of a town near me. I have no opinion of that
town, I just know there is one with that name.

So are you near Rising Sun, Indiana, also? I'm just asking
because I noticed that Barbara's signature is:

Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the

Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Old May 18th 04, 11:31 PM
Sophie

"CC Bailey" wrote in message
Sophie wrote:

Aurora just makes me think of a town near me. I have no opinion of that
town, I just know there is one with that name.

So are you near Rising Sun, Indiana, also? I'm just asking
because I noticed that Barbara's signature is:

Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the

Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Nope, North Carolina.

Old May 18th 04, 11:41 PM
dejablues

It's (or was rather) a Studebaker attempt at a sporty car. Some people
collect them.

Sophie wrote:
"Sara" wrote in message

ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

It's a car, isn't it? It could always be worse -- I knew a woman named
Buick.

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle

My first thought was - it sounds like a car. Sorry.

That's exactly what I thought.

Clisby

Old May 18th 04, 11:46 PM
Circe

CC Bailey wrote:
Sophie wrote:
Aurora just makes me think of a town near me. I have no opinion
of that town, I just know there is one with that name.

So are you near Rising Sun, Indiana, also? I'm just asking
because I noticed that Barbara's signature is:

Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the

Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Teehee. My current nicks for my kids are a nod to the song _The House of the
Rising Sun_. They acquired them when we were on vacation last month. Vernon
was into everything (sin) and Aurora kept whining about things (Misery), and
then when I thought about it, I realized that Julian (who is currently
growing at a rather alarming rate--especially his feet) could be the Rising
Son. It was too funny to pass up!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 19th 04, 12:27 AM
Rebecca McGraw

What, like an Avanti car? We've talked about using car names, jokingly,
like Aston Martin and Opel Astra and Austin Healey, but to be honest,
Avanti had not occurred to me until you mentioned it.
Although they are a fairly rare make. I did see a nice one at a classic
car show a few weeks ago, though.

FWIW, kids will find a way to tease your child no matter what you name
her. It's what they do

Name her what you like.

Best,
Rebecca

Old May 19th 04, 12:54 AM
Unadulterated Me

ted wrote:

Anyways, what's your take on this name? If I have a girl and I name
her Avanti, will my baby be forever teased?

Thanks.

She would if she lived in New Zealand. Avanti is a popular bike(the town
bike?) and a popular brand of condom. Neither are the best conotations
for a little girl.

Andrea
Old May 19th 04, 02:36 AM
Alpha

Barbara says:

I guess the problem with Avanti, to my ear, is that it sounds to much
like the name of a product and not of a person.

I'm afraid that's what it sounds like to me too.

-- Alpha
mom to Eamon and Quinn