1914

Old May 19th 04, 05:13 PM
Circe

Default 1914

Ilse Witch wrote:
was the value of my hCG on monday. Too low, but still increasing.
I've been trying to find info on what hCG looks like when you have
blighted ovum. I've had that before, but they only did bloodwork
after the m/c then, so i don't know how the values looked before.

OTOH, I feel similar to when I was pregnant with DS, but they
didn't do any bloodwork back then. A blessing or a curse? We'll
find out when I go for another u/s early next week. They should see
an embryo and heartbeat then, or all bets are off.

Oh, Ilse, I wish there was something I could say or do that would make the
next few days easier for you. Unfortunately, all I can offer is crossed
fingers and best wishes. I'm hoping for you!
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 4), and the Rising Son (Julian, 6)

Aurora (in the bathroom with her dad)--"It looks like an elephant, Daddy."
Me (later)--"You should feel flattered."

Old May 19th 04, 06:00 PM
Serenity

I hope it all works out well for you.
Have immunological factors been ruled out in your previous miscarriages?
They can cause slow rising HcG.
Thinking of you.
Serenity

Old May 19th 04, 06:45 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:00:23 +0100, Serenity wrote:

I hope it all works out well for you.
Have immunological factors been ruled out in your previous miscarriages?
They can cause slow rising HcG.
Thinking of you.
Serenity

No, we haven't done any follow-up on the previous two. But thanks for
pointing that out, since no matter what the outcome will be, I will have
testing done after this pregnancy.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (22m)

Old May 19th 04, 06:48 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 09:13:06 -0700, Circe wrote:

Oh, Ilse, I wish there was something I could say or do that would make the
next few days easier for you. Unfortunately, all I can offer is crossed
fingers and best wishes. I'm hoping for you!

Thanks Barbara, it's so sweet of you to say that. Fortunately, I can live
better with not knowing at the moment than with having to face another
m/c. I know this will probably change every few hours, but at least as
long as there isn't a definite NO, I can still have a little bit of hope.

You know what's really silly: I just came back from lunch, looked at my
e-mail and seriously expected an e-mail from my midwife saying that they
had made a mistake and all is well. That's just impossible, since they
don't even have e-mail...

Old May 19th 04, 07:15 PM
JennP

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
was the value of my hCG on monday. Too low, but still increasing. I've
been trying to find info on what hCG looks like when you have blighted
ovum. I've had that before, but they only did bloodwork after the m/c
then, so i don't know how the values looked before.

OTOH, I feel similar to when I was pregnant with DS, but they didn't do
any bloodwork back then. A blessing or a curse? We'll find out when I go
for another u/s early next week. They should see an embryo and heartbeat
then, or all bets are off.

Are you on a progesterone supplement, Ilse?

I hope things turn out well for you this time.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old May 19th 04, 07:45 PM
Mary W.

Ilse Witch wrote:

On Wed, 19 May 2004 11:20:53 -0400, Mary W. wrote:

My numbers never got that high, if that helps! They were over 1000, but
I think the max I hit was 1200 or so.

You mean you were pregnant and had a healthy baby with your numbers not
exceeding 1200? Did you also have low progesterone?

Nope, with my miscarriage the highest I got was 1200- we followed them
serially for awhile with a slow rise before they started to fall. And my
progesterone
was low. With my term pregnancy my early numbers doubled and my
progesterone was very high. We stopped checking after the 2nd beta.

Sorry for the confusion.

Mary

Old May 19th 04, 07:54 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:15:40 +0000, JennP wrote:

Are you on a progesterone supplement, Ilse?

Sorta, I'm taking wild yam at the moment. Started off with 2x1g a day, now
I take 1g morning and 0.5g in the evening, as the stuff upsets my
digestive tract. Since I started this, the spotting has completely ceased.

Old May 19th 04, 08:01 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:45:27 +0000, Richard wrote:

You don't want to give birth to your midwife, you want to give birth to a
baby. After your baby is born, your midwife is out of your life. Your
baby is in your arms (and heart!). If delaying progesterone supplementation
by a week might make the difference, who cares if your midwife called you
back or not?

Hehe, you're right. But all the midwifes at my practice seem to believe
that the low progesterone is the consequence, not the cause for the low
hCG and from what I have read on the web, they seem to be right in that.
Since taking the wild yam supplements is so far doing the same thing for
me, I'll continue that for another week and see what the u/s shows. They
will not be doing any more bloodtests until then anyway.

Swallow your emotions, get your progesterone numbers, and, if warranted,
take action. If this sounds brusque, blunt to the point of ungracious
harshness, please consider it "tough love". That's the spirit in which
it's given.

Well, it'd be hard for them to give me those numbers, as the lab hasn't
tested for it again. They've only been doing hCG so far.

To answer your other question, our beta-hCG numbers were okay, but we
were told that progesterone deficiency can lead to lower hCG numbers.

Interesting. Most stuf that I have read so far seems to point in the other
direction. But it's a fact that the exact interactions between all the
hormones in the female body is not well understood at all. Things may be
going either way.

Our numbers increased significantly when we started using Prometrium.

Which? The hCG or progesterone?

and ain't this just like a man, trying to fix things. :-/

Hehe, so right...

Old May 19th 04, 08:56 PM
Em

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
was the value of my hCG on monday. Too low, but still increasing. I've
been trying to find info on what hCG looks like when you have blighted
ovum. I've had that before, but they only did bloodwork after the m/c
then, so i don't know how the values looked before.

I'm very behind with the group, so I don't remember the precise
particulars of your previous beta tests. If you don't feel like
repeating yourself, I'll understand! How far along are you now? What
were your earlier numbers like?

My only experience with this was two hcg tests in the early weeks of my
pregnancy (a little over 4w along). My first number was 266 and the
second was 439. I was told these were "kind of low" and ended up having
an early ultrasound at 7 weeks, because I was also spotting along with
those "kind of low" numbers. I don't think they ever tested my
progesterone. Anyway, all ended up fine. I hope the same happens for
you. This must be so nervewracking for you. I really hope that you don't
experience another loss :-(

Best wishes,

--
Em
mama to L-baby, almost 8 months old!

Old May 19th 04, 09:32 PM
Ilse Witch

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:56:32 +0000, Em wrote:

I'm very behind with the group, so I don't remember the precise
particulars of your previous beta tests. If you don't feel like
repeating yourself, I'll understand! How far along are you now? What
were your earlier numbers like?

No problem Em: first draw hCG was 1004, two days later it was ~1390 (I
was exactly 6w on that day), another three days later it was 1914. So not
only are the numbers in themselves low, more importantly, they don't
increase rapidly enough.

I guess we'll see what comes out of it next week...