shaving your legs during pregnancy

Old August 14th 03, 05:38 PM
na

Default shaving your legs during pregnancy

LOL I can reach it too, my issue is seeing it. no one wants to see a
pregnant woman in a bathing suit with what looks like spiders trying to get
out ha ha ha.

"The Huwe Family" wrote in message
.com...
Ha ha. I don't trust my husband either. I have been struggling with this
for a while (with triplets, I have been the size of a 40 wk woman for over

month now). It's summer, August, and I wear shorts everywhere. My hair

is
very dark, and of course being pregnant, grows like weeds. I was having a
really hard time shaving. I got to the point where I said heck with it,

but
hated to go anywhere unless I had pants on, which was uncomfortable. So,

bought that new mousse (it doesn't work.) I bought some bleach I thought
might work, and on my MIL advice, some Nair. The Nair worked pretty good.
It came in this roll on applicator that didn't take much stress on the

belly
to put on. Only problem is, is it burned part of my leg so I have some

ugly
red spots in some areas. I might stick with the Nair, just not leave it

on
for as long as the directions say. If not, I'll try the bleach.

No tips on the bikini line but then, I can still reach that area with a
razor.

Gayle
"na" wrote in message
. ca...
HOW??

How do you shave your legs and bikini line after 26 weeks??? any tips? I
dont trust mu husband with a razor : S

Old August 14th 03, 05:39 PM
Kari

I was going to ask the same question. I can still reach my legs just fine
but not my bikini line. I can't stand not having it nice and soft so I
actually did have my husband do it and he was a nervous wreck and so was I,
lol. I dont have any advice but I just wanted you to know that I feel the
same way and I will be watching this thread very closely!!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and #3 due in 7 weeks

Old August 14th 03, 06:10 PM
daisy

I just "feel around" and shave : ) My husband does give me a trim once in a
while, but he doesnt shave me. I tell you, at 41 weeks pregnant its really
hard to shave your leggs, esp since Im ALL belly
HTH
Daisy

Old August 14th 03, 06:10 PM
Truffles

na wrote:

HOW??

How do you shave your legs and bikini line after 26 weeks??? any tips? I
dont trust mu husband with a razor : S

When I was pg with the twins, I used a wet-dry shaver for my legs. I
was able to do a pretty good jobs up to my knees because I could see the
bottom half of my legs. The top half of my legs I did by feel when I
was by myself and when dh was around I got him to do the back part.

As for the bikini area, I got dh to use a hair clipper with an 1/8"
setting. It was neat and trim but obviously not all gone.

Actually, the nurse who came to shave me for the c-section said she
didn't need to because dh did such a good job. :-)

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old August 14th 03, 07:58 PM
Ali's Daddie

"na" wrote in message
. ca...
| HOW??
|
| How do you shave your legs and bikini line after 26 weeks??? any tips? I
| dont trust mu husband with a razor : S

I don't blame you on trusting your husband.. But it could be a nice bonding
experience for the 2 of you to give it a try :-)

Apart from that, have you thought about using something similar to Nair? If
reaching is difficult, have your husband help with that. No razors to cut ya
;-)

I actually used to use Nair instead of shaving my face. It was so much
quicker, and lasted longer.. Whether or not you have sensitive skin, I
suggest getting sensitive skin formula.

--
LES!

Daddie to Alegra Lee. May 25th 2003!
"Daddie's Little Diva"

Old August 14th 03, 08:06 PM
jjmoreta

"na" wrote in message
. ca...
HOW??

How do you shave your legs and bikini line after 26 weeks??? any tips? I
dont trust mu husband with a razor : S

Actually my husband isn't that bad with a razor. He's a lot more careful
than I am. I have him clean up spots that I missed.

Sometimes I shave my legs myself, with my leg propped up on the tub.
Luckily this used to be my grandmother's house so there's a nice grab bar in
the shower to help support myself. I can't do it all the time because I get
dizzy if I'm in the shower too long.

We also use Nair. I'll sit down and hubby will apply. After the time is
up, he'll help rinse it off my legs with a washcloth. I saw a commercial
yesterday for Veet Mousse - which is supposedly just like Nair, but you can
spray it on. We'll definitely have to try that.

I don't usually do bikini line maintenance, but my husband helps me trim all
the hair down there with a beard trimmer. It's been growing freakishly long
during this pregnancy.

I don't think its really fair that during a time when we can't take care of
our leg hair as efficiently, it seems to grow twice as fast! I've read
other places that some women find good results from the new
"shave-minimizing" lotions. You might try one.

- Joanne
#1 - 27w2d

Old August 14th 03, 08:26 PM
na

can you name a brand for shave minimizing lotion? some doctors say that the
chemichals in depilitories like nair are unsafe during pregnancy. my doctor
sais its safe but when I asked him about dipilatories he had to ask me what
that was lol.
Are dipilatories safe near the groin?

#1 - 27w2d

Old August 14th 03, 08:39 PM
Truffles

jjmoreta wrote:

I've read
other places that some women find good results from the new
"shave-minimizing" lotions.

Those are made with soy proteins, I believe. You might want to be
careful putting on that much extra phytoestrogen.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old August 14th 03, 08:51 PM
jjmoreta

"na" wrote in message
. ca...
can you name a brand for shave minimizing lotion? some doctors say that

the
chemichals in depilitories like nair are unsafe during pregnancy. my

doctor
sais its safe but when I asked him about dipilatories he had to ask me

what
that was lol.
Are dipilatories safe near the groin?

Depilatories are thought to be safe, but fall into the category of an item
that hasn't been studied on pregnant women so you might want to avoid it
just in case. Multiple places on the Net and my doctor say that its okay.
I use them on my legs and sometimes on my face for the facial hair that
seems to be growing like mad (apparently I'm supposed to grow lanugo too).

I think depilatories are okay near the bikini line, but I wouldn't use them
for the "clean" look (near any mucus membranes). I've never used them for
that, to be honest, so I don't know. The caution label says not to use them
for your genitals, nipples, etc.

Most major lotion brands have a shave-minimizing formula nowadays. I
haven't seen reviews, so I'm not sure which ones work better than the
others. You have to use them every day and it takes 4-8 weeks to get
results (I've seen claims that you will shave 30-50% less often and the hair
will become softer).

Jergens Naturally Smooth Minimizing Moisturizer - around $4.99
Curel Smooth Legs - around $8.99
St. Ives Smooth Legs - around $3.99
Suave Advanced Smoothing, Shave Minimizing Formula - around $2.79
Aveeno Positively Smooth Moisturizing Lotion - around $6.97

Here's epinion's lotion listings - I noticed at least two of the brands
above had reviews.
http://www.epinions.com/beat-BathBod...on_Moisturizer

- Joanne
#1 - 27w2d

Old August 14th 03, 08:58 PM
jjmoreta

"Truffles" wrote in message
jjmoreta wrote:

I've read
other places that some women find good results from the new
"shave-minimizing" lotions.

Those are made with soy proteins, I believe. You might want to be
careful putting on that much extra phytoestrogen.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

You're right! *checks drugstore.com* Thanks for pointing this out. I
don't use them myself, so I never even thought about how they work.

Jergens - soy protein, herbal extracts
Curel - soy protein, herbal extracts
St. Ives - no soy protein that I can tell, herbal extracts
Suave - no soy protein that I can tell, herbal extracts
Aveeno - soy protein

At least two look free of soy protein, but I'm not sure if all the herbals
are okay.

- Joanne
#1 - 27w2d

Shaving legs Sue General 68 August 7th 04 09:43 AM
Shaving legs Claire Petersky General (moderated) 2 July 15th 04 10:15 PM
"U.S. teen pregnancy, birth and abortion rates decline" Mike General 0 February 20th 04 03:28 PM
HCG - Facts [email protected] Pregnancy 0 August 3rd 03 04:16 AM
RLS Restless Legs Syndrome Chotii Pregnancy 0 July 17th 03 02:11 AM