Changing sleeping habits

Old October 20th 03, 10:16 PM
TwinMom

Default Changing sleeping habits

One thing you didn't mention (or I missed it) is Where the babes are
sleeping. Do they have their own beds, or are they sharing one crib. If they
are NOT sharing, I'd recommend it immediately! Think about it, they've had
close physical contact for 9 months or so - I think they still crave it. My
twin sons screamed bloody murder the first night we got home from the
hospital and put them into their separate cribs. I still remember my MIL (a
Saint!) and I sitting half-up in our bed, each holding a baby on our chests
to get them to sleep that first night. Neither one of us got more than a few
minutes at a time. The next night, they were swaddled (also a must-see
below) and placed next to each other in one crib and they literally slept
like babies. They also taught us how to properly swaddle at the hospital.
You start with a triangular sort of folded blanket with the head at the
longest flat side, fold the bottom point from the feet up to the upper
chest, below the chin, then tuck each side in, under and around the babies -
sort of like a baby burrito. The only thing you see sticking out is their
head and neck - they arms, legs and torso is all inside the blanket.
Something about this swaddling makes newborns feel very secure. At least
that's what worked for our babies. My boys shared a crib until they were
about 5-6 months old and could move enough to bump into each other.

Good Luck!!

Old October 21st 03, 02:05 AM
Cindy Senger

You've already gotten some great suggestions. I'll add one more. When they
are sleeping during the day make it in a light room with noise. Let some
sunshine in and turn on the tv. Talk to them lots when they are awake during
the day. Make the last feeding before bed as quiet and calm as possible and
do it with as little light as possible-- like a nightlight. Eventually they
will get the day/night thing.

-Cindy (mom to Ashlyn and Allyson 6/99 and Jenna 6/03)

In article ,
says...

I need help!!

We have all triplets home from the hospital as of October 10. While they
were in the hospital they were on a very strict routine of being fed every 4
hours. (at 2, 6 and 10). Now that they are home, we have tried to keep them
pretty much to the same schedule. However, here is my dilemma.

The babies sleep all day, and then are up crying and wanting to be held all
night. I can't hold three at once comfortably. My DH helps as much as he
can, but sleep deprivation at work can be dangerous. My mom is staying with
us to help also, but I don't like handing her a screaming kid every night.

We have tried keeping the babies awake in the evening until around an hour
before bed time, but that doesn't seem to be working. I know the babies are
only 3 1/2 weeks old, but does anyone have any suggestion to get them to
change their wake/sleeping pattern???

(oh by the way, they sleep great on the couch or in bed with me, they cry
when they go in their bed) I don't like to have them sleep with me. Our bed
isn't big enough, and my husband would end up killing one by rolling over on
him/her. As a result, I have them sleep along the other side of me, which
scares me about them rolling off of the bed (one did just the other night.
Thank God, he fell on soft cushy pillows.)

--
Thanks,
Rob & Gayle Huwe

Old October 21st 03, 04:02 AM
multimom4

Very Important To Stress:

- swaddle
- for goodness sake, let your Mom help and give her time off during the day
to catch up on her sleep (or if you really can't do that then YOU nap during
the day and let her take the load)
- don't co-sleep
- noise around during the day, silence and near-pitch dark at night -- no
talking, tv, lamps, radio ...
- unless poopy, don't change diapers at night -- feed, burp and put back
down in that silent near-dark

If not breast feeding, btw, then get your dh to pitch in more on weekends.
For us, I did the 11pm feed and DH did the 3am. He went to bed right after
the 7pm feed ended (9:15 or so) so he got almost six hours. And again if
poss, juggle DH's daily schedule so that he can feed at least one baby
before he leaves for work / right before he sleeps / as soon as he gets
home. If BF, then consider pumping so you can get help from bottle feeders
now and again (like on Fri and Sat nights or whenever DH doesn't have to
work the next day).

In the first weeks when Hanna would *not* sleep in a crib at night, we had a
lot of success with her in a swing (set VERY low), a vibrating bouncy seat,
a car seat, always swaddled as best could be.

I remember this horrible time very clearly -- but honestly, it DOES pass
before too long. E and C slept thru (defined as midnight to about 6:45) at
about 13 weeks. So you are 1/4 or more of the way there and when even one
baby s to go longer things will start looking up all round

--Janet
Elliot, Hanna, Connor (10/21/96)
and Holly (4/4/01)

.com...

Old October 23rd 03, 03:38 AM
The Huwe Family

Default Changing sleeping habits - More information

I want to thank those of you who responded with tips and encouragement. I
obviously am stressed out and need help. However, those who sent notes with
criticism of how I am doing things wrong, please read the post. If I was
claiming to be doing everything correctly, then you could voice your opinion
on what I was doing wrong. When I'm asking for help, obviously I KNOW I am
not doing it right, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help. A stressed out
mom needs encouragement and tips, not criticism.

As a response to some of your questions:

- Yes the babies are being swaddled.
- They are cosleeping in a bed in our room next to our bed. - However, the
hospitals did NOT co-bed them (I'm not sure why and couldn't
get any clear answers from them.) So, I'm not sure if the hospital
screwed it up for them in that aspect. They seem to sleep fine together
on the couch downstairs.
- Yes, my mom is here to help, and I do use her all the time. As I said, I
don't LIKE handing her a screaming kid every night. It has gotten to the
point where she just takes one of the boys to bed with her when she goes.
(It's the boys who generally cause the nightly disruptions) She's not
getting a lot of sleep, we're not getting a lot of sleep. And there isn't
enough time during the day for us to take good naps, because generally when
the babies are sleeping on the couch, there is one that starts crying and
needs to be held, causing another one to start in. The babies keep us
pretty busy throughout the day. It's like I have to choose whether I want
to use my brief free time to take a shower, or to take a nap, because I
don't have time for both.
- I am NOT happy with them sleeping with me. It scares me. I have read all
of the studies and heard the statistics too. However, that seems to be the
only way to keep them sleeping throughout the night other than just holding
them. Just holding them is not an option because I am so exhausted that I
am at risk of dropping the baby.

Old October 24th 03, 01:23 AM
Twinzmommie

It's like I have to choose whether I want
to use my brief free time to take a shower, or to take a nap, because I
don't have time for both. BRBR

I can certainly remember those days! I am sorry you felt judged or critized.
I am sure things are tough enough for you without having to deal with that.

Good luck with getting some well needed rest!
Michelle
Mommy to Riley Claire & James Michael

Old October 27th 03, 05:00 PM
Kimme mik

Hi Gayle and Triplets!
Sounds like you could really use a good nights sleep! I'm with you
there. The twins wake up every 3 hours on the hour to eat, 24/7. Luckly,
they eat and are back to sleep quickly.
Evenngs are the hardest. We keep the girls up from about 6-7 til 10-11.
During this time we "play" do "tummy time on the floor", do our
"exercises", take a nice warm bath and finish it up with a bedtime
bottle. I think the fussing comes more from the transition time from
being fully awake to fully asleep.
i agree with keeping lights on, noise, etc. during daytime hours and
keeping lights off throughout the night.
I also understand not wanting to pass off a crying baby all the time.
I'm the same way.
Also remember Gayle, these are yourfirst babies if I remember correct.
The first are so hard worrying and wondering if your doing everything
right. (my twins are 4 and 5. I've had preemies before and don't fret
near what I did with #1) I did keep my first in my bed, so I could get
some sleep. Unfortunatly, when I wanted her in her crib it became a
nightmare. So with my other children I mae them sleep in their crib from
day one. It wasn't/isn't always easy, and you sometimes have to expect a
fair amount of crying. I believe babies need to "learn" to calm
themselves down to sleep. So a bit of fussing is perfectly ok. I
seriously don't think there is a solid right or wrong answer here.
Everyone has to learn what works best for themslves and their
babies/situation. Anyway, Congrats and best wishes. I hope the sleeping
problems remedy themselves sooner than later.
Kim Twin Girls 9/21/03

pre-schooler sleeping on the floor Tony Rice General (moderated) 4 March 27th 04 04:23 PM
OT - changing sleep arrangements Akuvikate Breastfeeding 6 January 26th 04 11:21 PM
Anyone else awake ? sleeping advice sort Nic General 12 December 9th 03 05:47 PM
Changing table? Jill Pregnancy 96 October 14th 03 05:22 PM
Sleeping arrangements - suggestions please Erica Carwile Twins & Triplets 6 July 29th 03 08:34 AM