A disconnect at camp

Old August 14th 06, 10:53 AM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
Nan

Default A disconnect at camp

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:42:37 -0500, "Tori M"
wrote:

Ok.. Ducking and a big gulp... I wouldn't let my kids ride on a bus 2 hours
and that is one of the big reasons I am homeschooling. Even kids that live
in town like we do can have an hour bus ride depending on how they handle
the picking up and dropping off of kids. Not only that but the Highschool
kids and elementary aged kids all ride on the same busses. there is too
much space covered to do more then one run for the kids.

Well, I agree that a 2 hour bus ride (that's 4 hours a day?!) would be
too much for me to handle. Partly because I wouldn't want to get my
kidlets up so darned early! I'd end up driving her.

As it is, the bus ride is about 10-15 min. max for E so it's not a
worry. I wait at the bus stop with her every morning and meet the bus
every afternoon.

I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to not want their kids to
ride 2 hours on a bus, but of course, we all disputed Lyn's assertion
that anyone that did allow it was an EVIL PARUNT.

Nan
Old August 14th 06, 10:55 AM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
Nan

On 13 Aug 2006 19:27:16 -0700, Banty wrote:

We already have two established parties:

The Entitlemoos
and
The Stepford Wives

Each should have a primary before we schedule a general election of the
President of the Anti-Lyns.

Banty (I'll bring the trebuchet..)

Okay, but can I still be Queen Entitlemoo over here? Please? Pretty
please? I already have that title in alt.mothers G

Nan (Treenie just lubs me)

Old August 14th 06, 12:00 PM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
LaTreen Washington

It's too bad Nan puts me in her kill file and then has to keep pestering
me.

What's the matter Nan, your husband won't bang your fat old ass with
scars all over your body like a road map?

Old August 14th 06, 03:33 PM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
Barbara

Tori M wrote:
We live about 2 miles from the school I believe so I technicaly COULD walk
it. I had actualy decided that if for some reason I did end up using
public schools we would walk it. I know the older kids on the bus and they
dont impress me.

If we still lived in the country I know the kids didnt get home until almost
5 most days. A girl at our church lives a 5 minute drive to the school but
her bus ride is over an hour. I dont know why she doesnt walk.. it could be
the lack of sidewalks on her side of the town.

Tori
It might be possible for you to pick up or drop off your kids although
the school tend to discourage that as being unsafe. Or maybe since
you live in town, you could walk them to school - if that were the
only reason for home schooling. My dd#3 does that with her son, and
now her oldest daughter will also be going. She just takes the baby
in a stroller, and when the baby can walk, the baby walks too.

It sounds to me like someone who knows what they're doing really needs
to re-do the bus routes. Perhaps there need to be two runs, albeit
with the same bus and driver. The bus should be starting at the
furthest point and working its way in, then doing the same from the
opposite direction. (In our city, you would need to convince the Board
of Education, Board of Pupil Transportation, and your school. It
sounds daunting, but I've done it. Our stop was in front of a dumpster
where there were rats. The building that owned the dumpster
acknowledged the problems -- *oh yes, big as cats!* -- but said it
couldn't do anything about it, largely because of the bus stop. So we
convinced the city to reroute the bus and move our stop.)

One's trip to school is about 20 to 30 minutes for a trip that would
take me 10 by car. He doesn't mind the ride, I do mind wasting gas
when he could take the bus, so off he goes. For camp, its about an
hour there (we're the first stop), and 40 minutes back (we're the first
stop!). Some kids have trouble handling it; we were nervous about it
ourselves, but One is fine. Sometimes, you just have to know your kid.

Oh, and BTW, Tori, the walk sounds pretty undoable to me. It would be
2 miles there for your daughter, but 4 miles round trip for you and
your son in all kinds of weather, twice a day. Does anyone carpool?

Barbara

Old August 14th 06, 03:57 PM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
Tori M

That is something I wouldnt know before hand. but it would be worth it to
find out if I were seriously considering public education

Tori

Old October 10th 06, 10:08 PM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
prd

I relly don't think we need this on newsgroups.

"L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Gregory Morrow wrote:
L. wrote:

greccogirl wrote:
You know, I think you have a sick problem and you need help. You are
absolutely fixated on this - if something happened to you as a child
you
need to seek help before you turn your kids into complete nervous
wrecks.

Go **** yourself, you self-righteous bitch. Who the **** are you?

!!!__WHOA__!!!

There's that FILTHY mouth of yours again workind in OVERDRIVE...

Oh, so now you have followed me over here to hump my posts? You really
need to get over your obsession with me, semen boy.

-L.

Old October 11th 06, 12:14 AM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
R. Steve Walz

prd wrote:

I relly don't think we need this on newsgroups.

-----------------------------
Eat ****, scum-boy, you're not the censor of Usenet!
NOBODY is!
Steve
Old April 18th 07, 09:30 PM posted to misc.kids,rec.scouting.usa,alt.parenting.solutions,alt.rec.camping,rec.outdoors.camping
greccogirl

Barbara wrote:
greccogirl wrote:

IF the child feels comfortable speaking to the counselor. IF the
counselor gives a fl***g f***, as opposed to being some teenager who
really just wants to get through the summer the easiest way and collect
his tips at the end. IF its not the counselor who is the problem. IF
the situation is not one that needs immediate attention.

Barbara, I don't think your kids are good candidates for camp. You have
too many built in negatives before you even start. :-)

Try again. My son is AT daycamp as we speak. Without a cellphone.
I've weighed the risks vs. the benefits for his particular
circumstances, and concluded that its not necessary. These
circumstances include: (i) bus counselor must have cell phone; (ii)
assurance by camp that he may use the camp phone under any circumstance
that HE deems an emergency, even if the camp might disagree with his
evaluation (and no, he hasn't done it yet, nor do I expect him to);
(iii) kids must be with at least one other camper at all times; (iv)
knowledge of the arrival and departure procedures that ensure that no
child is accidentally left at camp, and that camp personnel are
available until the last child arrives home. There are kids whose
parents have weighed those same circumstances differently, and given
them a cell phone. I don't think they're unreasonable any more than I
think I'm negligent. Its just a different weighing of the factors.
(As to overnight camp, I'm of the opinion that he clearly was not ready
this year at a somewhat naive and immature 9. I've told him we'll
think about next year, but its doubtful. The year after is likely.)

But let me ask, do you even HAVE kids?

Barbara

Been a long time but yes, I have two sons. 26 and 27. And they went to
camp without cell phones! Wow!!!
What a terrible mother I am.

Know what I think about your rules? Your child wouldn't be at my camp.