Defective Right Side?

Old December 24th 03, 01:53 PM
KarenC

Default Defective Right Side?

I am presently nursing my third son, having nursed the older two for over
two years each. It's been a mystery to me, over the years, why I always
eventually become a one-sided nurser, on the left. I am more comfortable
nursing on the left, it's true, but this time, in particular, I am being
really, really vigilent about giving the right equal time.

To no avail. My baby is ten weeks old and the output on my right is a third
or less than that of my left (I work part time and have two pumps, a PIS and
an Isis, so have a good idea about my supply).

What is interesting to me is that I can clearly see what is coming out of
each nipple when I use the Isis. And on my left, I see milk spraying out of
many, many "holes" and on the right, I see only about four spray outlets.
Is this possible? Is my problem that I don't have a sufficient delivery
system on the right? Or are fewer "holes" in action because I have less milk
coming out? Any of you experts know?

TIA.

Karen

Old December 24th 03, 06:09 PM
Mom2Aries

It's entirely normal, while pumping, to notice differences in the amount of
milk in each breast. I produce about 3 times as much milk with my right as
my left. But be assured, it's only for the pump... your baby can not tell
the difference.

The sprays of milk are still a mystery to me. Sometimes I can have 12,
sometimes only 3... it depends on how the horns are positioned, how full I
am, how long I've been pumping for. And neither breast ever has the same
amount... so it's pretty much normal (from talking to other pumping mothers)

Old December 24th 03, 08:17 PM
KarenC

To me, he really can tell the difference between the sides. He always pulls
off much more quickly on the right, which indicates to me that he empties it
much faster. I can definitely tell the difference as my "good" side is also
visibly much bigger than my "bad." But I know from past experience that I
will go back to normal in about year when my baby is eating a significant
amount of solids.

I'm not worried about this in the least as I successfully BF'ed two healthy
children, one who wouldn't even touch solids till over a year old, on mostly
one breast. But I would love to know the reason why my right side produces
so little (and in the case of the older children, actually dried up
eventually). I was thinking that if the nipple actually only had a few
spigots, I guess this could affect the feedback system even if the baby were
nursing on it a lot. I really do wonder if I have insufficient tissue in
there or something.

When the baby was tiny, I was able to pump approximately 50% less on the
right versus the left. Now that he is getting older, the ratio has dropped
to more like 75% less. It's quite amazing. The left seems to have an
endless supply while the right continues to dwindle away....The baby tends
to like that side particularly when he is nursing himself to sleep and wants
a slow drip instead of a heavy stream of milk.

Karen

Old December 26th 03, 08:36 AM
Mom2Aries

I still stand by the "it's normal". I know a lot of women who pump, and we
all have the same issue.

I can pump 12-15 (or more) ounces in my right breast, but only 3-5 ounces in
my left breast. And I think that the number of sprays is irrelevant because
when I'm actually nursing, there's only one spray... regardless. And I also
think that it's the actual sucking that matters, not how many sprays come
out... and if the sprays matter, then I should be in trouble since there's
only one while nursing.

But with Aries, he's done with the right breast faster then the left breast,
because it produces a bit faster. With the left it takes a little while
longer to get what he wants.

I had some info on insufficient glandular tissue, but other than elongated
breasts (when kinda hanging) I can't remember the signs that say you have
it.

Hope all works out for you though, wish I could be of more help than to say
I think it's normal... LOL

Cadie
news

Old December 26th 03, 02:57 PM
Irene

"KarenC" wrote in message ...
[...]

Wow, this sounds almost exactly like my own experience! I've only
BF'ed one baby so far - but I'll be able to compare and contrast in a
few months! I have no medical type information for you, alas.

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01 (still nursing about 3x/week)
#2 EDD 4/04

Should I let left side dry up? Cheryl S. Breastfeeding 10 December 17th 03 09:32 PM
Sleeping on the side? Khan Pregnancy 10 September 10th 03 04:44 AM
Baby preferring one side Cathy Breastfeeding 0 July 29th 03 04:27 AM
My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD andrea baker General 2 July 28th 03 02:17 PM
My awful side effects from Strattera for ADHD andrea baker Kids Health 2 July 28th 03 01:49 PM