"Wal-Mart right to say no"

Old February 12th 04, 04:59 PM
Kate

Default "Wal-Mart right to say no"

http://www.coloradoan.com/news/stori...on/381853.html

Wal-Mart right to say no

By Linda Magloughlin

--------

I would like to say a big thank you to Wal-Mart for asking a mother to
stop breast-feeding in public. I am a breast-feeding mother and would
never think of doing such a thing. The typical response of those who
feel this should be allowed is, "It's perfectly natural!" Indeed, but
so are defecating and intercourse, and how many of us would expect to
do such things in public without being arrested? How many of us would
want to watch others doing such things?
The sad thing is that Wal-Mart felt pressured to apologize to the
woman, stating that they were sorry for her being inconvenienced. Is it
an unacceptable inconvenience to have to find a restroom rather than
urinate in public? While some would say yes, I believe and hope that
most of us would say no. Again, thank you, Wal-Mart. I hope the attempt
to make public breast-feeding legal fails dismally.

What's next, public masturbation?

Linda Magloughlin,

Fort Collins
---------------------

Kate here... Isn't that awful?? she has read "dear abby" too much, I think.

=====
Kate, http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/a...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (9!), Sage (6.5), Benno (3!!) "A successful person is one
who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him
or her." David Brinkley, News Journalist
http://listserv.uts.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/parent-l
Old February 12th 04, 05:15 PM
Plissken

"Kate" wrote in message
om...
| http://www.coloradoan.com/news/stori...on/381853.html
|
| Wal-Mart right to say no
|
| By Linda Magloughlin

| --------
|
| I would like to say a big thank you to Wal-Mart for asking a mother to
| stop breast-feeding in public. I am a breast-feeding mother and would
| never think of doing such a thing. The typical response of those who
| feel this should be allowed is, "It's perfectly natural!" Indeed, but
| so are defecating and intercourse, and how many of us would expect to
| do such things in public without being arrested? How many of us would
| want to watch others doing such things?
| The sad thing is that Wal-Mart felt pressured to apologize to the
| woman, stating that they were sorry for her being inconvenienced. Is it
| an unacceptable inconvenience to have to find a restroom rather than
| urinate in public? While some would say yes, I believe and hope that
| most of us would say no. Again, thank you, Wal-Mart. I hope the attempt
| to make public breast-feeding legal fails dismally.
|
| What's next, public masturbation?
|
| Linda Magloughlin,
|
| Fort Collins

I feel very sad for the children of a woman who likens breastfeeding to
defacating and intercourse. With this kind of attitude I highly doubt she
really is a breastfeeding mother, she probably just said so to try and make
herself sound more credible. There are just so many incredibly ignorant
people in this world.

--
Nadene

Old February 12th 04, 05:51 PM
Tracey

"Kate" wrote in message
om...
http://www.coloradoan.com/news/stori...on/381853.html

Wal-Mart right to say no

By Linda Magloughlin

Is it
an unacceptable inconvenience to have to find a restroom rather than
urinate in public? While some would say yes, I believe and hope that
most of us would say no.

\
Ugh. I would be happy to take my baby into the restroom to breastfeed *IF*
and only if the author of this will come accompany us and eat HER meal in
there as well.

Old February 12th 04, 06:01 PM
New York Jen

Not only that...but nursing is not producing excrement! It's FEEDING a
child. I wouldn't have MY lunch in the crapper...nor would I suggest anyone
else do so.

"Elfanie" wrote in message
*heavy sigh*

Why do people seem to insist that restrooms are for modesty?? they
are for hygiene...if they were for modesty, then they would be more
private than they are (not a bunch of men standing at a trough, for
instance).
nursing provides no hygenic risks to those around you.

Picking your nose in public isn't something you are asked not to do,
even though it's unsavory.
chewing with your mouth open isn't something your server will stop
you and ask you to go to private to do.

yet people constantly compare going to the bathroom with nursing a
baby.
sad sad sad.

Stephanie Soderblom CLD CCCE CD(DONA) ICD
Mesa, AZ
Mommy to Mikael 5/9/95 - Kerstyn 8/6/99 - and Kevin 8/30/02
Student Midwife
Birth Doula / Childbirth Educator / Pregnancy and Birth Photography

http://www.birthdiaries.com - Birth Story Diaries=REAL BIRTHS = REAL

PHOTOS

Old February 12th 04, 10:31 PM
Belphoebe

I feel very sad for the children of a woman who likens breastfeeding
to defacating and intercourse. With this kind of attitude I highly
doubt she really is a breastfeeding mother, she probably just said so
to try and make herself sound more credible. There are just so many
incredibly ignorant people in this world.

That was my reaction, too--I find it hard to believe any actual nursing
mother would equate breastfeeding with intercourse, masturbation,
defecation, and urination. What a horrible woman!

--
Belphoebe

Old February 12th 04, 10:45 PM
melizabeth

"Kate" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't know about the rest of you, but since I don't want to eat lunch in a
bathroom, I really wouldn't want my kid to have a meal there.

Old February 12th 04, 11:04 PM
Karen

Why do people seem to insist that restrooms are for modesty?? they
are for hygiene.

Nevermind the fact that many public restrooms are some of the most
UNhygienic places going. What are we supposed to do, sit on the open
toilet in our pants? And my baby's head goes where? Right next to the
sanitary products disposal box full of other women's used sanitary
devices? Makes me want to retch just thinking of it. I won't even change
a baby's diaper in most of them, because goodness forbid the changing
table should ever get washed down once in a while. And most stalls these
days barely have room to turn around, never mind haul in a baby and all
your stuff.

GRRRR...

I've luckily never had a negative comment and NIPped with ds until
around 2. Goodness help anyone who ever dares...

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old February 12th 04, 11:27 PM
Heather

Goodness! This is enough to make me laugh and cry! I'm always looking
for reasons NOT to shop and Wal-Fart and now I have another one.
Heather

Old February 13th 04, 01:33 AM
A&G&K

"Kate" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I think a letter of reply is warranted ... pointing out that feeding a child
is vastly different to urinating, defecating, masturbating, having sex etc
etc.
Pathogens that can be passed into the population from public defecation are
many and varied. As far as I'm aware, it is fairly impossible for a
passer-by to be infected with anything from being near a bf mother and
child. However, consumption of food (bm) in areas where such pathogens could
be harboured (ie toilets) can be dangerous to the consumer (child).
Any comparisons with masturbation ring alarm bells with me on exactly how
that woman's mind is put together. Bf is not a sexual function.

This sort of crap needs to be jumped on as soon as it sprouts forth from
some idiot's mouth.
Having said that, I'm not in a position to reply to walmart as I live in
Australia and have a very limited idea of who or what walmart is. I think
a letter to the news carrier that supplied the "idiot opens mouth and speaks
utter crap" story would be a good idea.

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old February 13th 04, 01:59 AM
Leanne

Not only that...but nursing is not producing excrement! It's FEEDING a
child. I wouldn't have MY lunch in the crapper...nor would I suggest

anyone
else do so.

You should see the ads here in Oz, they're great... theres one of a man
eating lunch on a toilet... its looks so gross and sounds horrible... at the
end it says 'you wouldn't eat your lunch here, why should a baby?' then
'breastfeeding in public is a mothers right'

theres a few other, but they dont get played as much.