Experience with water birth?

Old October 18th 05, 05:24 PM
Shell

Default Experience with water birth?

My first child was born unmedicated and I'm determined that this one will be
too. Several weeks ago my midwife asked why I was not signed up for a
water birth. I never even considered it. After she explained how it is
easier to cope with pain, decreases interventions and is more comfortable
for mom and baby I was convinced and very excited!

I'd love to hear others experience with water birth and what I should
expect.

~Shell
EDD 10/25

Old October 18th 05, 05:48 PM
Dagny

Most women find it to be very lovely to labor/birth in water but
occasionally a mom will plan a water birth and then want nothing to do with
it in the moment. However, I would guess 95% of the time the mom will say
it was exactly what she wanted. Both my labors were in water for the bulk
of the labor; my unhindered birth second stage was in water through the
birth of the head.

-- Dagny

Old October 18th 05, 06:38 PM
Shell

"Dagny" wrote in message
.. .
Most women find it to be very lovely to labor/birth in water but
occasionally a mom will plan a water birth and then want nothing to do
with it in the moment. However, I would guess 95% of the time the mom
will say it was exactly what she wanted. Both my labors were in water for
the bulk of the labor; my unhindered birth second stage was in water
through the birth of the head.

-- Dagny

Did it help with the pain? Was the baby's father in there with you? I'm
dreading going through the pain again but really don't want drugs.

~Shell

Old October 18th 05, 06:58 PM

..

Old October 18th 05, 06:59 PM
Blue Eyes Blue

..

Old October 18th 05, 07:00 PM
Shell

"Elfanie" wrote in message
I've had two waterbirths....my last two babies.

did it help with the pain? I can't say for certain because I've never
had a land vaginal birth...
but I can tell you that there's no way they could have gotten me out
of that water even if they'd tried. =) Amazing, empowering, best
experiences of my life...awesome!

Yay! Cool! Thanks

~Shell

Old October 18th 05, 07:57 PM
camandshane

I laboured from about 6cm to fully dilated in the pool - I was heaps
quieter in the pool than I had been on dry land The pain of course
was worse as the labour progressed but it was easier to cope. My back
was starting to hurt between contractions before I went into the pool
but as soon as I hit the water the pain (in between contractions) went
away. This was at a local birthing hospital and my midwife didn't
deliver under water. This time around I have a midwife who LOVES
waterbirths so we are planning a water birth at home Yay!!

Good luck
Cam

Old October 18th 05, 09:02 PM
Nikki

Shell wrote:

Did it help with the pain?

I did not deliver in the water but I labored in the water and I thought it
was a wonderful. It was much easier to cope in the water then out.

Was the baby's father in there with you?

I was in a one woman tub :-) Dh and my aunt took turns sitting in the
bathroom with me. It was deep and had whirl pool jets. I prefer deep over
big so it worked for me and I don't think I would have tolerated anyone
being in there with me anyway. I get very internally focused in labor.

I'm dreading going through the pain again but really don't want drugs.

If it helps, even though my labors were very very similar I found the second
one immenently easier to cope with. I used the tub the first time too.
There was less panic of the unknown and I found some new coping skills that
really helped me. I used a lot of internal visualization and self talk the
second time and I also had a very good nurse that helped me past that moment
of panic at 6cm or so. That allowed me to stay on top of things. I didn't
manage that the first time and was always a little behind.

--
Nikki
Hunter 4/99

Old October 18th 05, 09:12 PM
PumpkinMama

Shell wrote:

My first child was born unmedicated and I'm determined that this one will be
too. Several weeks ago my midwife asked why I was not signed up for a
water birth. I never even considered it. After she explained how it is
easier to cope with pain, decreases interventions and is more comfortable
for mom and baby I was convinced and very excited!

I didn't deliver in the water, but I count being able to labor in the
water as the sole reason I made it through my induced (pitocin,
pre-ecclampsia) labor without any pain meds. It was wonderfully
relaxing and helpful, as I was able to "float away" between
contractions and really relax and rest up for the next set. I was alone
in the tub with DH and hospital nurse nearby.

PumpkinMama
--
http://napkinmump.blogspot.com
reverse the domain name to email me
Old October 18th 05, 09:14 PM
cherdor

I didn't have a water birth, but got into a tub with warm water several times with my first birth. The warm water was soothing and relaxing. Also helped me manage the pain. They wouldn't let me stay in the water long tho because I had preeclampsia and my blood pressure would spike while sitting up. But I plan to be in the water as long as I can with this one.

Cheryl

Will (07/26/01
Nikolas ( EDD 11/04/05)