NYTIMES: Autism Debate Strains a Family and Its Charity

Old June 20th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Ilena Rose

Default NYTIMES: Autism Debate Strains a Family and Its Charity

I think the 'fighting' over hows and whys, looking to place blame, is a waste of time.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/coleah.htm parrots the Vac Machine ...
here is what a parent has to say to you True Believers who buy and
spread the propaganda campaign partly based at Quack Inc. Coleah
doubles online as the head of the "I Hate Ilena Rosenthal & You Should
Too" Campaign and a promoter of the amoral Invasion of Iraq.

http://www.BreastimplantAwareness.or...WatchWatch.htm

She recieved her MMR vaccine in early Dec 1995. "In a heartbreaking
home video shot in mid-February 1996 that was projected in the
courtroom, Michelle is seen sitting in a toy caboose, flapping her
arms. She ignores the entreaties of her mother and grandfather. A year
later, she was diagnosed with autism".
Now this doesn't prove much, except for the fact that you don't spend
much time reading before your opinions slip from between your teeth.
Perhaps she could have been diagnosed at 16 months old, before the
shots, but it would have been very difficult.
The other illnesses this young girl suffers from may or may not have
anything to do with vaccines and mercury. But, I say, as an American
taxpayer, and I will write it slowly, so you may fully comprehend its
full implications...
I would rather my tax money be spent on finding out once and for all
if there is a connection between these vaccines and this illness, than
one more dollar spent on KBR's $100 dollar a bag laundry service in
Iraq.She recieved her MMR vaccine in early Dec 1995. "In a
Old June 20th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
[email protected]

On Jun 20, 1:22 pm, Ilena Rose wrote:
I think the 'fighting' over hows and whys, looking to place blame, is a waste of time.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/coleah.htmparrots the Vac Machine ...
here is what a parent has to say to you True Believers who buy and
spread the propaganda campaign partly based at Quack Inc. Coleah
doubles online as the head of the "I Hate Ilena Rosenthal & You Should
Too" Campaign and a promoter of the amoral Invasion of Iraq.

Self-centered signs of untreated mental illness......
Misconstrue, bash, divert and paint things ugly with your witch's
broom.....it must be pure hell to be inside yourself.

Old June 21st 07, 12:37 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
[email protected]

Default Ilena Rosenthal : The Explanations, Opinions and Doubting Questions

On Jun 20, 1:22 pm, Ilena Rose wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What's the matter, Ilena?
Not getting enough attention today?

For years Ilena has plastered a non-profit website with her I hate
"Mine
Enemies" webpages (http://www.ilena-rosenthal.com/ilenawebpages.html)
about breast implant women and others. A website (below) was
established for those people to tell 'their side'.
Ilena squeals like a stuck pig.

http://www.ilena-rosenthal.com
The Explanations, Opinions and Doubting Questions
(with links for verification to archived posts, documents and
repostings)

Old June 21st 07, 12:51 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Ilena Rose

Coleah Penley Ayers is a pathological liar who has made a career out
of attacking and libeling me ... attempting to crush my posts with her
massive bully weight ... as she has done in this post.

Changing subjects to push her Quack viewpoint is typical.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/
www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/Coleah-lies.htm
See the depths Penley Ayers goes to ... amoral twisted old woman.

Old June 21st 07, 03:42 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Mark Probert

Ilena Rose wrote:

Irrelevant personal attack deleted.

It is extremely probable that there is a subset of human beings ...
particularly infants, who can and do react violently to mercury being
pumped into their tiny bodies, causing long lasting and pervasive
damage.

However, there is no proof that this subset exists. It is often claimed,
but never proven.

I have watched the autism debate on many various forums on the
internet ...

Personal attacks delegted

Have you read the pure bile posted by those who use their children as
test subjects?
Old June 21st 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Mark Probert

Ilena Rose wrote:
www.BreastImplantAwareness.org/coleah.htm makes this absurd and quacky
comment:

I think the 'fighting' over hows and whys, looking to place blame, is a waste of time.

I know scores of families with children injured after their "safe"
vaccinations who indeed want to find out why

Interesting. Mrs. Cedillo is one such mother. She is convinced that her
child was normal before vaccination, in spite of the facts that the
child was significantly behind with developmental delays characteristic
of autism.
Old June 21st 07, 06:46 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

"Mark Probert" wrote:
Ilena Rose wrote:
Note from Ilena Rosenthal of the Humantics Foundation: How
distressing to see this family also torn apart.

Actually, she wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/us...&oref=slogin&p...

Katie Wright and her son Christian, who is autistic, appear in the
documentary film "Autism Every Day," financed by the charity Autism
Speaks.

By JANE GROSS and STEPHANIE STROM
Published: June 18, 2007
A year after their grandson Christian received a diagnosis of autism
in 2004, Bob Wright, then chairman of NBC/Universal, and his wife,
Suzanne, founded Autism Speaks, a mega-charity dedicated to curing the
dreaded neurological disorder that affects one of every 150 children
in America today.

Autism Speaks Web SiteThe Wrights' venture was also an effort to end
the internecine warfare in the world of autism - where some are
convinced that the disorder is genetic and best treated with intensive
therapy, and others blame preservatives in vaccinations and swear by
supplements and diet to cleanse the body of heavy metals.

With its high-powered board, world-class scientific advisers and
celebrity fund-raisers like Jerry Seinfeld and Paul Simon, the charity
was a powerful voice, especially in Washington. It also made strides
toward its goal of unity by merging with three existing autism
organizations and raising millions of dollars for research into all
potential causes and treatments. The Wrights call it the "big tent"
approach.

But now the fissures in the autism community have made their way into
the Wright family, where father and daughter are not speaking after a
public battle over themes familiar to thousands of families with
autistic children.

The Wrights' daughter, Katie, the mother of Christian, says her
parents have not given enough support to the people who believe, as
she does, that the environment - specifically a synthetic mercury
preservative in vaccines - is to blame. No major scientific studies
have linked pediatric vaccination and autism, but many parents and
their advocates persist, and a federal "vaccine court" is now
reviewing nearly 4,000 such claims.

The Wright feud has played out in cyberspace and spilled into Autism
Speaks, where those who disagree with Katie Wright's views worry that
she is setting its agenda. And the family intent on healing a
fractured community has instead opened its old wounds and is itself
riven.

The rift began in April when Katie put herself squarely on the side of
"The Mercurys," as that faction is known, on Oprah Winfrey, where she
described how her talkative toddler turned unresponsive and
out-of-control after his vaccines and only improved with
unconventional, and untested, remedies.

In a Web interview with David Kirby, author of the controversial book,
"Evidence of Harm: Mercury in Vaccines and the Autism Epidemic," Ms.
Wright lashed out at the "old guard" scientists and pioneering autism
families. If the old-timers are unable to let go of "failed
strategies," she said, they should "step aside" and let a new
generation "have a chance to do something different with this money"
that her parents' charity was dispensing.

Complaints poured in from those who said Ms. Wright's remarks were
denigrating.

So, in early June, Bob and Suzanne Wright repudiated their daughter on
the charity's Web site. "Katie Wright is not a spokesperson" for the
organization, the Wrights said in a brusque statement. Her "personal
views differ from ours." The Wrights also apologized to "valued
volunteers" who had been disparaged. Told by friends how cold the
rebuke sounded, Mrs. Wright belatedly added a line saying, "Katie is
our daughter, and we love her very much."

Ms. Wright called the statement a "character assassination." She said
she had not spoken to her father since. Ms. Wright continues to spend
time with her mother, but said they had not discussed the situation.

"I totally respect if her feelings were hurt," Mrs. Wright said. "But
a lot of feelings were hurt. A lot."

Now other autism families who hoped to put their differences aside are
shouting at each other in cyberspace. "Our struggle is not and should
not be against each other," said Ilene Lainer, the mother of an
autistic child and the executive director of the New York Center for
Autism.

The big tent approach of Autism Speaks appealed to Mel Karmazin, chief
executive of Sirius Radio and an early board member and contributor.
"If you look at what projects Autism Speaks has funded, we are
agnostic," he said.

Mr. Karmazin, who also has an autistic grandson, added, "I never
wanted to look my grandson in the eye and tell him I'm taking just one
viewpoint or that I think it had to be genetic."

Bob and Suzanne Wright are sympathetic to Katie's plight, having
witnessed Christian's sudden regression and his many physical
ailments, mostly gastrointestinal, which afflict many autistic
children.

The boy did not respond to behavioral therapies, the Wrights said,
leading to their daughter's desperate search for anything that might
help. "When you have that sense of hopelessness, and don't see
results, you do things that other people think is too risky," Mr.
Wright said. "The doctors say, 'Wait for the science.' But you don't
have time to wait for the science."

The Wrights agreed to disagree with most of Katie's views. But her
public attack on other parents crossed a line, Mr. and Mrs. Wright
said in separate telephone interviews.

"I know my daughter feels deeply that not enough is being done," Mr.
Wright said. "The larger issue is we want to be helpful to everyone,
and to do that we need information, data, facts."

Some in the traditional scientific community worry that Autism Speaks
has let Ms. Wright's experience shape its agenda. She scoffs at the
notion. Her parents, she said in a telephone interview, are
"courageous" and "trying very hard," but have been slow to explore
alternative approaches.

"You can say it and say it and say it," she said. "Show me evidence
that they're actively researching vaccines."

The Wright family's fight has captured the attention of the bloggers,
who are now questioning everything from its office lease to how it
makes grants. The charity rebutted the bloggers' accusations of
improprieties in interviews with The New York Times, which examined
its IRS forms and read relevant sections to Gerald A. Rosenberg,
former head of the New York State attorney general's charities bureau.
He said nothing he reviewed was untoward.

The most distinctive aspect of Autism Speaks is its alliance with
Autism Coalition for Research and Education, an advocacy group; the
National Alliance for Autism Research, devoted to scientific research
into potential genetic causes, with high standards for peer review;
and Cure Autism Now, which has championed unconventional theories and
therapies.

Which wing of the merged charity is ascendant? Some establishment
scientists and parents now fear it is The Mercurys. They point to Cure
Autism Now's having more seats than the National Alliance does on the
board of directors and the growing number of research projects that
focus on environmental causes.

At a recent benefit gala, featuring Bill Cosby and Toni Braxton, some
in the audience were surprised when Mr. Wright announced that all
proceeds would go toward environmental research, which generally
includes vaccines.

But a list of current research grants on the Autism Speaks Web site
suggests that the Wrights, while walking a fine line, are leaning
toward genetic theories.

From 2005 to 2007, the charity sponsored $11.5 million in grants for
genetic research (compared with $5.9 million by all its partners
between 1997 and 2004). It sponsored $4.4 million in environmental
research (down from $6 million granted by the partners in the previous
seven years). And many of the environmental studies explore what is
known as the double-hit hypothesis: That the genes for autism may be
activated in some children by exposure to mercury or other
neuro-toxins.

Bob and Suzanne Wright say their two-year immersion into the world of
autism has been an eye-opener, especially the heated arguments worthy
of the Hatfields and McCoys.

Mrs. Wright is aware that the marriage of the Alliance and Cure Autism
Now, for instance, could fall apart over opposing ideologies. "I'm not
going to let it," she said. "The truth will rise to the top."

She is also aware that the rift in her own family needs repair: On
Friday, her daughter posted a message on an autism Web site
questioning their "personal denouncement of me."

Yet Mrs. Wright is confident that "we'll work our way through this."
Autism, she said "has done enough damage to my family. I'm not letting
it do any more."

Agreed. It is even more distressing that there are those like JB Handley
of Generation Rescue, who is also a cybersquatter like I mentioned to you,
is using them to spread his bile.

Conclusion:

This father has a handicapped child and tells it like it is. Mark has one
also, when he speaks of his
it is A OK. How very, very cold hearted and disgusting, as if Mark is
*special* and only his son is worthy of
concern.

It appears Mark is very selfish and has forgotten the golden rule.

http://www.bodhicitta.net/Compassion... Tradition.htm

Choosing Judaism: Jewish Concern for 'TZEDAKAH" (Charity) and Social Justice
Most Jews are aware of the traditional story about the great Jewish scholar,
Hillel, who was asked by a Roman soldier to summarize Judaism "while
standing on one foot"-in other words, to put all of Jewish theology in a
nutshell. Hillel's response was to repeat Judaism's original "Golden Rule":
"That which is hateful to yourself, do not do unto others. That is the heart
of the Torah; all the rest is commentary. Now go and study!" The "Golden
Rule" is in that portion of the Torah known as "The Holiness Code"
(Leviticus, Chapter 19). It is a basic principle underlying the traditional
Jewish commitment to fairness, human responsibility, and social justice.
These fundamental values, rooted in the Torah, have led Jews to establish
relatively high standards of generosity for charitable causes. Actually, the
concept of tzedakah extends beyond charity-its usual translation-and
includes the dual concepts of righteousness and human
responsibility-something a Jew is required to do as a part of her or his
Jewishness, not simply a voluntary act. The great Jewish scholar,
philosopher, and rabbi, Moses Maimonides, who lived 800 years ago,
delineated eight different levels of charity. As you read these words,
consider how relevant these Jewish teachings are today, more than 800 years
later: Going from the lowest level to the highest: 1. One who gives
unwillingly. 2. One who gives cheerfully, but not enough. 3. One who gives
enough, but not till he is asked. 4. One who gives before being asked, but
directly to the poor person. 5. The poor one knows from whom he or she
takes, but the giver does not know who is receiving. 6. The giver knows to
whom he or she gives, but the receiver does not know the giver. 7. The giver
does not know to whom he or she gives, nor does the poor person know from
whom he or she receives. The highest form of charity is to strengthen the
hand of the poor by giving a loan, or joining in partnership, or training
out of the individual's poverty, to help become independent. The highest
level of charity-helping a person establish herself or himself-is the
foremost ideal of our modem social agenda as we address the complex issues
of poverty and welfare and seek the best ways to help people break the
chains of poverty. The words of Maimonides exemplify the compassion of
Judaism and also vividly show how Jewish sages have sought to point the way
for Jews to help make our world a better place in which all people might
live with dignity and self-respect. Some people are surprised when they
learn that Judaism embodies compassion and love, for language in the Torah
often appears harsh to the modem ear. However, one must remember and
understand that the Jewish Bible-what Christianity called the "Old
Testament"-was written 3,000 years ago. Just as it is important to judge
Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence, in the
context of the times in which he lived, and not in absolute terms of his
having been a slave owner, we must judge the Jewish Bible, including the
first five books known as the Torah, in terms relative to what was taking
place in society 3,000 years ago. By that standard, the Torah was remarkably
progressive. (For instance, the well-known adage, "an eye for an eye," by
contemporary times may seem harsh, but this concept was an improvement over
the mores of Middle Eastern society 3,000 years ago when one could be killed
for injuring another person's eye.) Actually, although the Torah is an
ancient document, there is in Judaism a process of study, commentary, and
re-interpretation that has allowed the Torah to continue to speak to Jews in
every generation. Even though Christianity's "New Testament" was written
more than 1,000 years after the Jewish Bible, nevertheless both have
passages that are harsh by modern standards. Both also have language of love
and compassion, and there are many important similarities such as the Golden
Rule. These similarities are not surprising since Jesus was raised as a Jew
as were all of his contemporary disciples. On the other hand, there are
major philosophical differences, the most fundamental being that Jews did
not, and do not, believe that Jesus, who lived and died a Jew, was the Son
of God. Another central difference was that Christianity asserted that an
individual had to "believe in Jesus in order to be saved," therefore denying
any life in "heaven" to non-believers. In sharp contrast, the central theme
of Judaism was one of universalism with the "gates of heaven" open to all
who lead an exemplary life of good actions and deeds, regardless of
religious creed. Although the Jewish Bible was written nearly 3,000 years
ago, much of it still speaks directly to us today. For example, in an
ancient world in which slavery and injustice were rampant, the Jewish
prophets were among the first to call for social justice-for everyone, not
just Jews. One of the most meaningful aspects of Judaism is that it offers a
religious and cultural environment and a structure in which these moral
values can be enhanced and also transmitted from one generation to the next.
Some people assert that there is no longer a need to have any religious
identity and that these values can be transmitted automatically without the
need for a religious framework. However, most thoughtful Jews believe the
remarkable extent of active involvement of modern Jews in support of
charitable causes and issues of freedom and social justice did not arise in
a vacuum but rather developed out of a religious and cultural heritage and
faith, nurtured and refined over a period of 4,000 years. This Jewish
heritage has been a very important factor in influencing and encouraging
individual Jews to speak out on behalf of freedom, compassion, love, peace
and justice for all. Therefore, committed Jews seek Jewish continuity, not
just for themselves, but for all humankind.

Opinion snipped.

Old June 21st 07, 12:52 PM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Mark Probert

Actually, she wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/us...&oref=slogin&p...

Actually, Ms. Rosenthal wrote nothing. She cut and pasted.

What I *wrote* was removed, but is restored.

http://www.kevinleitch.co.uk/wp/?p=564
Old June 22nd 07, 08:56 AM posted to alt.support.breast-implant,misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,misc.kids.health,misc.headlines
Jan Drew

"Mark Probert" wrote in message

"Mark Probert" wrote:
Ilena Rose wrote:
Note from Ilena Rosenthal of the Humantics Foundation: How
distressing to see this family also torn apart.

Jan Drew wrote:

[ Being dishonest as usual, Mark left that out. Then replied *directly* to
my post].

Which makes him a liar AGAIN...........................

Actually, she wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/us...&oref=slogin&p...

Actually, Ms. Rosenthal wrote nothing. She cut and pasted.

Newsflash: On newgroups that is called *wrote*.

What I *wrote* was removed, but is restored.

Actually the opinion was snipped.

H Y P O C R I T E.

What *I* wrote was removed.

Agreed. It is even more distressing that there are those like JB Handley
of Generation Rescue, who is also a cybersquatter like I mentioned to you,
is using them to spread his bile.

Sadly Mark is displaying his true character.

Restored:

http://www.bodhicitta.net/Compassion...0in%20the%20Je...