Runaway teenagers [very long reply]

Old September 15th 04, 10:32 PM
Joelle

And, if she is real,
it's a shame for us to tell her to "go get therapy"

You have to be kidding.

Then again, you think you can tell someone is a child molester just by looking
at them. Yea, much better people with multiple problems listen to people like
you than see a therapist.

But I'm the bad poster....

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle
Old September 15th 04, 10:41 PM
Joelle

When I first started my job, I would get occasionally get these calls from
these people with terribly tragic stories or problems, and they usually
involved some sort of sexual dimmension. After consulation with some
counselers, I learned that there are people who get their kicks calling people
in the helping profession with these stories. As one pro bluntly told me "You
know, Joelle, this guy probably had his dick in his hand the whole time you
were trying to *help* him." I eventually wised up and got a sense of this and
learned not to talk to people with these kinds of issues anonymously. So you
can call me hard hearted, but I prefer not to be part of someone's
masterbation fantasy.

And if I'm wrong, I still say, these issues are too serious for a bunch of
yahoos on the internet.

I remain unapolgetically, Joelle i'ts MS BiTCH to you :-)

Old September 16th 04, 07:20 PM
Karen O'Mara

oaway (Joelle) wrote in message ...
[...]

Well, this certainly is an anonymous forum so it's hard to make the
call to ignore issues based on that criterion.

Yeah, there are people who probably are guilty of what you say.
Probably a lot. I think Scott Peterson's guilty, too... but I would
rather see him go free, than an innocent person go to prison. Sort of
a dumb analogy, but why not believe people here? Unless it's really
obvious they're a hoax, the only thing that is spent is a little pride
or embarrassment.

otoh, it's good to have someone from all sides presenting
advice/arguments, too. There's room for all of it, I guess. If there
is enough people to welcome intruders, it's not that big of a deal.

Karen
Old September 17th 04, 04:59 PM
Paul Griffiths

"Ms Louise Clayton" wrote in message
"Joelle" wrote in message

I don't believe any of this. Either this is a troll, or you have SOOO
many problems that a newsgroup is not the place for you to find help.
Get thee to a therapist.

Keep the thread going if you like as it is a good sounding board for
me and others.

Yea, which makes me think my first inclination was correct. If so,
shame on you for making Cele go through her own trama again just
to help you. If not, go get some help now.

Joelle
my blood ran cold when I read what you wrote.

First let's be clear that I'm not jumping on any band wagons and certainly
not defending or ganging up on anyone here, okay?

My opinion is that if you truly feel this strongly about what someone you
don't know and will probably never meet has written in a public forum, which
is open to all and sundry to express whatever views they like, then maybe
this isn't the right medium for you to be using at this time.

To get the best out of a newsgroup, any newsgroup, you need the skin of a
rhino, the back of a duck and a super-sized filtering system that will allow
you to pick out only those things that are helpful to you.

How dare you I am going thru things like this and as you can see other
parents like Cele have been thru similar traumas

She only has what you have written to inform her opinions, as do we all.
IMHO whatever those opinions are they are perfectly valid, at least at some
level, even if they do not match those of others or what you would, perhaps,
have expected. Right, wrong or something else, we're all entitled to our
opinions and we're all entitled to express them here. I don't have a
problem with that myself as I often find opinions I'd rather not have heard
to be the most useful in the long run.

i hope only that you never go thru traumas such as mine or Celes.
again all I can say is how dare you,

Big assumption here, I think. Do you actually know for certain that Joelle
*hasn't* had experiences that have been equivalently traumatic for her?

these types of replies remove the purpose of the support chat lines, that

is
to be able to air your problems and look for solutions without prejudice

or
ignorant people making comments like you have.

As a point of information only, this newsgroup is not in any way moderated
or controlled so it's up to you to filter out posts you find unhelpful.

they are the types of comments that cause people to fall deeper into the
depths of despair and commit suicide if unstable.

My opinion, for what it's worth is that a public forum like a newsgroup
probably isn't the best place for someone who is that unstable to be seeking
help.

shame

In you opinion, of course. Other will do doubt choose to think differently.
That's the way of the world and this group is no different.

For myself I've leaned to take good advice from wherever it comes, always
assuming I recognise it as good of course. That's the tricky bit.

You have a hard road ahead but you've coped well in the past so I think
you'll be fine. I wish you luck though. A little good luck never hurt
anyone.

--
Paul Griffiths

Old September 17th 04, 05:06 PM
Paul Griffiths

"Joelle" wrote in message

When I first started my job, I would get occasionally get these calls from
these people with terribly tragic stories or problems, and they usually
involved some sort of sexual dimmension. After consulation with some
counselers, I learned that there are people who get their kicks calling

people
in the helping profession with these stories. As one pro bluntly told me

"You
know, Joelle, this guy probably had his dick in his hand the whole time

you
were trying to *help* him." I eventually wised up and got a sense of this

and
learned not to talk to people with these kinds of issues anonymously. So

you
can call me hard hearted, but I prefer not to be part of someone's
masterbation fantasy.

I agree that the world is full of strange people but, for myself, I'd prefer
to allow someone the benefit of the doubt, especially on Usenet as it really
doesn't cost me anything at all.

Don't fall into the sort of trap that police sometimes do of thinking that
everyone has criminal intentions purely because most of the folks they see
on a daily basis have.

And if I'm wrong, I still say, these issues are too serious for a bunch of
yahoos on the internet.

I'm pretty much with you on this one. Advising someone on the basis of a
few posts is fraught with difficulties. Similarly, some pieces of advice
*are* only likely to be useful if you know a lot about the person giving the
advice.

I remain unapolgetically, Joelle i'ts MS BiTCH to you :-)

MS BiTCH it is then. LOL

--
Paul Griffiths

Old September 17th 04, 05:10 PM
Paul Griffiths

"Karen O'Mara" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It *can* be anonymous but many who post here are probably easily traced.
Something for everyone to bear in mind I'd say.

Yeah, there are people who probably are guilty of what you say.
Probably a lot. I think Scott Peterson's guilty, too... but I would
rather see him go free, than an innocent person go to prison. Sort of
a dumb analogy, but why not believe people here? Unless it's really
obvious they're a hoax, the only thing that is spent is a little pride
or embarrassment.

I agree 100% and I don't feel at all embarrassed at replying to something
that turns out to be a hoax. I use the Net for entertainment as much as
anything else so it's all grist to my mill. :-)

otoh, it's good to have someone from all sides presenting
advice/arguments, too. There's room for all of it, I guess. If there
is enough people to welcome intruders, it's not that big of a deal.

Agreed again. Room for all works for me.

--
Paul Griffiths

Old September 17th 04, 05:12 PM
Paul Griffiths

"Joelle" wrote in message

snip

. And you don't need to protect Cele

I know. You are the only one who is allowed to protect people. Usually

from
me. Blah blah blah

If you two were in my class you'd be standing in the corridor around about
now. Tut!

--
Paul Griffiths :-)