Hello out there ????

Old April 20th 04, 02:37 AM
Kim

Default Hello out there ????

"Bebelestrnge0721" wrote in message

Hello, I put together a few pictures if ya wanna see the baby Now if I

did
it right this will get you there So how is everybody ?????
Bev

http://community.webtv.net/bebelestrnge/JaimeGayle

Isn't she a pet?!?!?!!? She also shares my sons Bday and almost dead on the
money on the birth time as well 3:06 wierd huh? lol 17 years part them and
Jaime is adorable

Old April 21st 04, 10:31 AM
Cele

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:31:19 -0500, 'Kate wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:59:13 GMT, Cele

On 14 Apr 2004 23:26:13 GMT,
(Bebelestrnge0721) wrote:

Hello, I put together a few pictures if ya wanna see the baby Now if I did
it right this will get you there So how is everybody ?????

I've decided to post, and post the truth.

I like you, bebe, even though you won't have heard from me much, or
know me.

Meanwhile, in answer, I'm swamped. I'm reeling. I'm overwhelmed and I
need a break.

snip

((( Celia ))) You sure do need a break. What an intense, ongoing
situation!

Yuh. But then again, I guess I'm not the only one. I guess I'd better
stay with the programme.

Tonight she was ...sad. She feels sad. She has an FM system...it's
like a hearing aid, but the teacher wears a microphone and what the
teacher says is directly into her ear. Helps with auditory processing
stuff...whatever. I can go on for hours on that stuff; I've actually
been paid to do so. But anyway. What the teacher says into the mike,
she hears. Teacher steps out of the room today, but forgets to turn
off the mike. T....T's been dyslexic all her life. She's fighting an
eating disorder, she's struggling with the aftermath of rape, she's
coped with more in her sixteen years than most of us ever will. And
she's *highly* sensitive to being called stupid...due to having been
called stupid and bullied as stupid for years. Anyway. Teacher forgets
to turn off the mike and reports to whoever he's talking to, in the
hall, projected directly to T's ear...."I hate working with this
class. It's a really slow class, they're just awful." Right after
that, a supposed friend MSN'd her to tell her that she has too many
'problems' and her mother thinks I give her too much freedom and
therefore doesn't want her to hang out with T. 'Course, the fact that
T has never once been intoxicated or on drugs to my knowledge and has
rescued this friend from both at least twice, once involving the
friend's alcohol poisoning....the fact that T is terrified of sexual
contact and the friend is sexually active and unprotected, and the
fact that T talks to me about what is happening and phones me hourly
when out with buddies at night ant the friend's mother clearly is
terrified because her kid doesn't report in...none of that is taken
into account....I told T that the friend's mother's opinion was
probably rather more of a judgement on my parenting than on her as a
person, and that the friend probably reports events a bit differently
to her mother than with complete accuracy, and that while we were
talking, I wonder if her friend and her mother were also talking,
because T seems to turn to family for support and said friend seems to
turn to other teens....anyway....

First she was mad. Then she was sad. Then she felt hopeless. Then we
talked for ages....not that we hadn't been...she called me at work on
her cell from the bathroom, and we talked then, and intermittently
thereafter....after we talked this evening...she seemed to pick up a
bit. I ...what do you do? The world sucks, sometimes. I told her
facts. I told her that kids with dyslexia are more at risk for drug
abuse, depression, suicide, dropping out, alcohol abuse, delinquency.
Kids who are bullied are more at risk for all of the above, except, I
think, delinquency. Kids with histories of violent sexual assault are
more at risk for all of the above, but adding promiscuity. I said to
her....you don't drink. You don't do drugs. You're not sexually
active. You're still in school. You haven't broken any laws. Yeah,
hell, sure, you've got problems. You've got an eating disorder and
you're struggling with finding your way. Why in hell wouldn't you be?
You're okay. You're going to win. You know what's not working and
you're taking steps to fix it. You're showing commitment to your
goals. You're talking to me, you're doing therapy voluntarily, and
you're buying into the support that's on offer. And most of all,
through everything, no matter what, no matter how awful it's been,
you've NEVER been deliberately cruel. Even at y our very worst times,
you always stuck up for the underdog. I listed specific examples. I
said....you never lost sight of you. These other things...these are
things you can fix. They're things you can get on top of. But
you...you haven't lost you.

She heard me, some. She felt better, some. It was my mother's birthday
and she got into bringing the cake and the gift and all.

But oh, how she needs a break. And me too. I'm tired. I'm running out
of steam.

But you know, all of the things that have happened to me....that
everyone says...wow, that's awful...stuff like that...all of it except
losing the house to the mill strike, has happened to T. And believe
me, she was party to the stress when I lost the house. So if I'm
having a hard time, and I'm 45.5, and she's been through all the same
things, and she's 16, why in hell wouldn't she be having a hard time?

So yeah. We're getting tired. But as long as she's standing, I'm
standing, you know?

D and her partner M are looking for work. T is ****y because my
parents bought D a beater to help. Sadly, the fact that my parents
spent the same amount on T's hearing aid doesn't make it all okay in
her mind. She seems to think a car is cool and a hearing aid is not.
Then again, D thinks it sucks that I buy T summer clothes but not D,
who graduated two years ago. D feels that it's not her fault she
graduated at 16 and her peers are supported until they graduate,
usually at 18.

Was that the rule? If so, I was gypped. Once I started working, I had
to buy or make my own clothing and provide for my personal needs. Food
and shelter were just about all I could expect.

Heh. Yeah, actually, almost everyone I know did things that way. But I
had this sense that once they got a job, if I took away their paltry
little allowance, it was kind of penalizing them for working. So I
didn't. However, their allowances were expected to cover *everything*
optional, and there were *no* extras...they paid for their own movies,
treats, trips with buddies, whatever.

One of the things that affects the clothing and personal effects issue
is child support. My children's father pays fair child support, which
I believe is entirely to be spent on them. So things like clothing and
personal effects, were a part of that. I always felt that it was very
important that there be no doubt his money went to his children. And
I'm sure that affected some of my decisions. In our agreement, CS ends
when they turn 19 or when they graduate from their undergrad degree 4
years or fewer from HS grad, whichever comes first. I don't like that
much, now I'm there, because it kind of penalises the kid who can't go
on due to various issues, but fortunately it doesn't matter, because
he's not the kind of guy to do that, and that kid will get supported
emotionally and financially as needed to get on her feet as well, from
both him and me, so it's not personally an issue. But it could be, if
parents were into using kids as weapons and all that.

Geez, am I digressing. Somebody smack me. Sheesh.

I myself am currently deeply empathising with the
ostrich, whose belief that hiding one's head in the sand erases all
problems is seductive, if unreal.

I am heartened to recognise that I no longer weigh my concerns in
terms of my children's survival, mostly. Now I can mostly think mental
health. Not a huge step, I know, but I reassure myself that the Dalai
Lama would understand. [he's in town this week and I would love to've
seen him, but buggered if I could've afforded a ticket].

That's a big step, not to be belittled.... going from survival to
looking ahead.

Yeah. Tonight, though, she needed lots of reminders that there's a
future, it's better, and she's equal to it. But we'll make it. She's
so strong. That strength...I wonder what she'd've done with it if she
*hadn't* gone through all this crap. Then again, maybe it'll
eventually be what galvanises her to more. Who knows?

Our GP, who is wonderful, has a 15 month old. She told me recently
that ....****, she put it more politically than this, but the concept
was, that when she gets complacent she thinks about me and it scares
the crap out of her and keeps her humble.

LOL... damn. Sorry to hear that. It's tough being the yardstick of
crap in other's lives. Who are they going to use when you're life eases
up? Oh wait a sec... who cares? :-)

I just loved this. When I read that, I laughed right out loud. Who
cares is starting to be a bit of a mantra in my mind, on some topics.

Who does, actually, care? LOL

Great. I'm the 'before' picture. The 'where you don't want to go'
picture. Me, I'm the 'oh ****' picture.

Except, there are so many of us unretouched photos out there.

Great analogy. We don't get to pick the stuff that happens to us... not
all the time. We have been charged with making good come from it - if
that's at all possible.

Ah hell, mostly, I guess it is. But it's damned hard work and it
surely does get old.

Okay, I'll shut up now. Things here suck, as always, we continue to
hope, as always, and we plan on ruling the world as always. I continue
to overanalyse for my own sanity and survival. Seems to work for me,
if not for others. T continues to ....be T. Continues to survive. D
continues to challenge all comers. My stepdad continues to stand as
silent sentinel in support and my mother continues to offer ongoing
commentary, occasionally welcome, largely not.

I continue to pay my bills late and get parking tickets at Children's
Hospital. Two this week. I've got to start remembering to read the
goddamned signs.

We all continue to learn and survive. May all of us here,

And keep me away from the white zinfandel, at all costs. Or this kind
of rambling could get habitual.

Cele

Nah... I enjoy your ramblings. They're always insightful and inciteful.
:-)

Heh. :-)

I guess that a lot of what you wrote hits home. Things are not always
as good as I'd like but maybe they're as good as they can be for now.

Yeah. I think that's where I'm at. We're holding our own. Barely.
Tenuous grasp. But we are. And, trite as it may be, you'll know what I
mean when I mention...where there's life, there's hope....

It's hard to look back at the painful times of our own lives and our
children's. It's easier to avoid it. But without some reference... how
do we know whether there's been improvement and progress? And without
knowing that, how is it possible to hope? Have faith? Survive?

Absolutely. Just tonight, in talking with T....I said...you feel
bad..you feel like you're not getting anywhere...but think where you
were a year ago. Where were you two years ago? Under the hospital
sink. Certainly not in school. Where were you three years ago? You
hadn't even disclosed. You hadn't even started on the path to healing.
Now, you're right down to the last big ones...you've sought help for
what you know isn't working...you're in the process of getting that
help...we have a plan in place, we know where we're going and we know
it's a good plan. You're going to make it, because, you've made it so
far. And she could hear me. It's the memories that make today seem so
much better. The snapshot would suck, but the context does help.

You've already accomplished most because you're looking ahead again and
not so much behind. And you know I get the same way.. I avoid looking
back. I'd rather it not be there but without risking a look behind, the
present would be much sadder.

Oh yeah.

Ah well... such is life.

And we soldier on. Because we can, but also, because we choose to.
Because it's better to choose to, than to choose not to. Much, much
better.

And it matters, that we make that choice. I do believe it matters.

Be well Kate. Talk to you soon.

Cele
Old April 21st 04, 10:32 AM
Cele

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:41:51 -0400, "Tiffany"
wrote:

Hang in there Cele. Positive thoughts to you and your family!

Thanks, Tiffany. I'll take all the positive thoughts I can get.

Take care of yourself.

Cele
Old April 21st 04, 10:39 AM
Cele

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:04:13 GMT, lm
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:59:13 GMT, Cele
wrote:

[snip]

I myself am currently deeply empathising with the
ostrich, whose belief that hiding one's head in the sand erases all
problems is seductive, if unreal.

You may empathize with the ostrich, but if your posts are any
indication, you'll never be like him. You're too wise and strong for
that. (Bet you're tired of being told how strong you are!)

Nowhere near wise and strong enough, though. But I do appreciate the
vote of confidence. I know I won't run and hide, because if I was
going to, I'd've surely done it by now. [wry smile]

Great. I'm the 'before' picture. The 'where you don't want to go'
picture. Me, I'm the 'oh ****' picture.

Except, there are so many of us unretouched photos out there.

Ain't that the truth. And if it's any consolation at all, your
children's resentments and blaming would be happening with or without
the traumas you've all suffered. You're the mom, Cele -- don't you
know by now that it's *all* your fault! :-)

Yeah, I know you're right. Kids always do that, don't they? Maybe not
always, but more than often. LOL Good reality check. Thanks. :-)

We all continue to learn and survive. May all of us here,

I hope the programs at Children's are helpful for your daughter. I
know that improvements for T mean improvements for C, so I do hope the
parking tickets pay off. :-)

Heh. I'm the ticket queen! If I don't pay 'em within seven days they,
like, triple in cost. And of course, I can't pay 'em in seven days due
to my having gone to got D and having driven around a corner int he
middle of the night on the Alaska Highway, into a boulder, which took
out both right tires. As a result, I had to go backwards 130 km with a
friendly semi driver, pay astronomical callout fees, buy two new
tires, get back to the car, replace the bloody tires in the middle of
the small hours, and carry on, totalling an extra $400, which is
pretty much the end of the emergency cash, and so...oh, you get the
picture.

And keep me away from the white zinfandel, at all costs. Or this kind
of rambling could get habitual.

I wish pot were legal, myself. Has a much nicer emotional effect, with
no hangover.

Heh, Today, which is my mother's birthday, and also, [ahem] Hitler's
birthday, is 4/20, which, for those of you not currently either a teen
or raising one or recently having been one, is also ...something like,
International Marijuana Day...or something....LMAO....I
figure...having just spent a week in hospital with T while she got her
appendix out unexpectedly, it's not weed that's the big threat. But
lordy lordy, if they ever put that demerol into six packs in the
liquour store.....you can all give up on me now.

Heh.

Take care.

Cele
Old April 21st 04, 02:10 PM
P.Fritz

You know Cele, every time I read one of your posts I realize how fortunate I
am, and how trivial the problem I have with my 14 y.o. are. I don't think
I could come close to handling all the issues you are. Hang in there.

Old April 22nd 04, 12:54 AM
Cele

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:10:26 -0400, "P.Fritz"
wrote:

You know Cele, every time I read one of your posts I realize how fortunate I
am, and how trivial the problem I have with my 14 y.o. are. I don't think
I could come close to handling all the issues you are. Hang in there.

Thankyou, Paul. I really appreciate those words.

If anyone had asked me, 'before', if I could've done it, I'd never've
thought I could either. But here we are. And hey! Today we have good
news! Which warrants its own post, so read on!

Thanks again, Paul.

Be well.

Cele
Old April 22nd 04, 09:28 PM
Paul Griffiths

wrote:

You know Cele, every time I read one of your posts I realize how

fortunate I
am, and how trivial the problem I have with my 14 y.o. are. I don't

think
I could come close to handling all the issues you are. Hang in there.

Thankyou, Paul. I really appreciate those words.

If anyone had asked me, 'before', if I could've done it, I'd never've
thought I could either. But here we are.

I tend to reply to folks who ask how I have managed to deal with everything
that has happened in my life over the last ten years or so that nobody gave
me the choice so I simply *had* to find a way or give up.

And hey! Today we have good news! Which warrants its own post, so read
on!

Indeed it did. :-)

--
Paul Griffiths

Old April 23rd 04, 04:58 AM
Cele

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:28:53 +0100, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You know Cele, every time I read one of your posts I realize how

fortunate I
am, and how trivial the problem I have with my 14 y.o. are. I don't

think
I could come close to handling all the issues you are. Hang in there.

Thankyou, Paul. I really appreciate those words.

If anyone had asked me, 'before', if I could've done it, I'd never've
thought I could either. But here we are.

I tend to reply to folks who ask how I have managed to deal with everything
that has happened in my life over the last ten years or so that nobody gave
me the choice so I simply *had* to find a way or give up.

This is true, huh? You just do what has to be done. What else is
there?

And hey! Today we have good news! Which warrants its own post, so read
on!

Indeed it did. :-)

[g]

How's it going, Paul?

Cele
Old April 23rd 04, 04:56 PM
Paul Griffiths

"Cele" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:28:53 +0100, "Paul Griffiths"
wrote:
"Cele" wrote in message
.. .

If anyone had asked me, 'before', if I could've done it, I'd never've
thought I could either. But here we are.

I tend to reply to folks who ask how I have managed to deal with

everything
that has happened in my life over the last ten years or so that nobody

gave
me the choice so I simply *had* to find a way or give up.

This is true, huh? You just do what has to be done. What else is
there?

Well some people *do* give up, in various ways, but that wouldn't work for
me. Not knocking it, of course, 'cos we're all different.

And hey! Today we have good news! Which warrants its own post, so read
on!

Indeed it did. :-)

[g]

How's it going, Paul?

Not too bad really. I'm currently doing three different jobs and also
trying to run the business that a friend and I started last year. Far too
much driving for my liking and not enough time in the day to do everything I
need, much less want, to do. That said, there's food on the table and
occasionally money in the bank so no real grumbles from me.

Pete's seems to be doing fine physically, in school and out and I'm
basically okay. Tired most of the time, of course, but I have a feeling you
know how that works. :-)

The Masters fizzled out 'cos I ran out of time so I ended up with a Diploma
instead. Not ideal but I was really only doing it "for me" so I can live
with that. It's also one less thing on my to-do list, which is never a bad
thing. :-)

Overall we're getting along quite well with no major hassles but no big
plans in store either, except maybe for a decent holiday this Summer if we
can arrange it.

--
Paul Griffiths