Interesting local article on baby names

Old September 30th 03, 03:01 PM
Vicki S

Default Harry was Interesting local article on baby names

"Taniwha grrrl" wrote:

Vicki S wrote:
On another note, I've always thought it hilarious that
Harry's aunt Petunia deems "Harry" a "common" name -
since Prince Harry is hardly a commoner.

His real name is Henry though I think, not Harry, Harry is
his nick name.

Actually, I just reread the whole (so far) series of 5 books, and at
least in the Americanized version, he is never called anything other
than "Harry", whereas Ron, for example, gets called "Ronald" at least
once (for the sorting hat, perhaps?).

If you are right though, then there have been more British kings named
"Henry" than "Harold", haven't there? So you're just proving my point
even better.

Or wait, did you mean Prince Charles' son is actually named "Henry"?
(Light goes on - silly me). Here, I looked it up: "Henry Charles Albert
David". Nonetheless, he goes by Harry (at least in public), so it isn't
a "common name", it's a Prince's nickname. Good enough proof for me.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old September 30th 03, 04:27 PM
Donna Metler

Default Another name column Interesting local article on baby names

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/news_co...CA_646_2308444,
00.html

Thought this was interesting, given this current discussion.

Old September 30th 03, 04:29 PM
Donna Metler

Default Also, a news article on names Interesting local article on baby names

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/news/ar...306107,00.html

Old September 30th 03, 05:06 PM
Nina

"robbed of her ethnicity"? As if inventing a name is an integral part of
being o african descent.
I read this study, it was interesting but something I was well aware of. My
mother works in a school thats mostly black and the kids have some weird
names, the teachers (mostly black also) can hardly pronounce them. And
teachers tend to think that kids with those names are stupuid, have stupiid
undeducated parents and are low class. Sad, but true.
"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/news/ar...306107,00.html

Old September 30th 03, 05:34 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Nina wrote:

*"robbed of her ethnicity"? As if inventing a name is an integral part of
*being o african descent.

I think it's funny that Naomi is considered a "neutral" name! It's a
Hebrew name, it means "pleasant," also the biblical character was Ruth's
mother in law. It sounds like a Jewish name to my ear.

Old September 30th 03, 11:34 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Vicki S wrote:

Or wait, did you mean Prince Charles' son is actually

named "Henry"?
(Light goes on - silly me). Here, I looked it up: "Henry

Charles
Albert David". Nonetheless, he goes by Harry (at least in

public),
so it isn't a "common name", it's a Prince's nickname.

Good enough
proof for me.

lol yes I meant the Prince not the book Character.
You have to remember though that British society is very
classist and often in the past comon folk would 'try' and
elevate their status is society by naming their child an
upper class name. Then this in turn would become a common
name due to over use. Kind of like the sneeches with stars
story....lol

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old October 1st 03, 12:08 AM
iphigenia

Taniwha grrrl wrote:

lol yes I meant the Prince not the book Character.

grin I actually read it the same way and was about to issue a call for
reference on where the heck Rowling says Harry's name is Henry, when I
figured out what you meant : )

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Tips/tricks for first time moms: Add your suggestions! JuliesSolo Pregnancy 34 September 19th 03 08:26 PM
Lydia's Birthstory (long) Andrea Pregnancy 29 September 7th 03 07:23 AM
Baby Names annafine Pregnancy 20 September 3rd 03 09:36 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM